Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, i think we have an injured baby collared dove, i am new to this site and joined as i don't seem to be getting anywhere with any other site. I have looked on the internet and the pictures of the baby collared dove is the only one that seems to match the poor little thing that was in our garden but as i am not an expert i cannot be sure. He seems to have a bad leg as when walking he has a limp and falls to one side. I have placed him in a box and put him in the doorway of our garage as he may look like breakfast to other birds. So what do i do with this little bird? please help as he looks so scared. We are in Yatton in Bristol.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Thank you for helping this little bird.
You did right in taking him in. Have you offered seeds and water, is he eating/drinking?

Seems like he is injured and he will need antibiotics so the wounds won't get infected. Is there any way you can get him to a vet?

For now keep him warm and stress free. Offere water and see if he drinks.

Reti

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Everythng Reti said. Also - put him\her in a box or carrier lined with a towel and then paper towels on top. Do you have a heating pad ? lf so put that under the towel and set on low. lf not - then keep her in a warm room. Where are you located ? We can help find a person or facility nearby to help out. Oh - and thanks for saving hm !!!!

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Baby collared doves suffer from metabolic bone disease through lack of sunshine and calcium, this is quickly corrected with calcium supplements so under no circumstances allow any vet or wildlife hosptal to euthanase!.

Can you provide some information?:

Has he got a collar? If he has he is not a baby and more likely to be injured than suffering from calcium deficiency.

Open his beak gently. Does the beak itself feel pliable and bend a bit? This would be a sign of calcium deficiency.

Look inside his mouth. If you see any yellow growths or white bits please let us know.

I will contact members in the south west to have a look, maybe one could examine the dove. If it is a calcium deficiency I can send you some Calcivet tomorrow, to arrive (hopefully) by Tuesday.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thank you Cynthia for bringing my attention to this post.
Hello Cassie!
I am a first year veterinary student at Bristol Uni. Strictly speaking I can't keep animals in my room...but have already had a dog, frog and pigeon in here!
I am going back to kent on friday this week. If this little guy is a young collared dove I don't have any food for him. Is this guy is a little older I have some seed. However I'm still not around all day during the week.

I have no problems taking him back home on Friday and then driving him to Pigeon recovery in Surrey???

If I make a few calls I may be able to get to a pets at home for some egg food and a temporary box.

I also noticed that we have a member in Wales who has space for injured collared doves?

I am more than happy to help in any way possible!
XxX

·
Registered
978 Posts
[Strictly speaking I can't keep animals in my room...but have already had a dog, frog and pigeon in here! ]

Hmmm, this statement brings back some nostaligic memories from my distant past! :)

I am up in Blackburn, work in Liverpool, probably not much help but am here if I can be of any help

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Cassie,
My name is Rob. I already have 2 hand tame collared doves in my care (they were picked up as injured / sick youngsters). Are you still caring for the bird? I so - please let me know if the bird is eating and drinking OK? I live in Wales.
Regards,
Rob.
p.s. Sorry, but only now did I notice your post. My e-mail address is:
r t a y l o 2 9 @ y a h o o . c o . u k spaces inserted to prevent any possible spam linkages

1 - 7 of 7 Posts