Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife brought him in from the field last night I was at work, I Just got home and here is what I have.

I don't know where to start, he is breathing in this position. When I picked him up one wing is good the other kinda, I can see wounds on his back but nothing major, very little blood, he is holding his head backwards one eye is hurt (minor) the other fine one leg can hold my finger the other (unsure)
I am at a total loss on what to do and I am close to freaking out about this.
this is a country feral bird, I am thinking one of it's first flights from the silo next door

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Poor bird doesn't look good at all.
Can you place him in a more natural position and hold his head straight by putting towels on both of his sides?
Also provide a heat source for him, either a heating pad set on low and place him with the towel on top of it or a hot water bottle next to him.
When he shows signs of feeling a bit better start hydrating him.
Let us know what happens, please.

Thank you for helping this poor bird.

Reti

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
well being

Poor bird doesn't look good at all.
Can you place him in a more natural position and hold his head straight by putting towels on both of his sides?
Also provide a heat source for him, either a heating pad set on low and place him with the towel on top of it or a hot water bottle next to him.
When he shows signs of feeling a bit better start hydrating him.
Let us know what happens, please.

Reti
Reti, he is in my front room right now wich is at 84 degrees due to the fire place, do you think I still need the heat pad?
I have tried to prop up his head but he just goes right back to that position.
I have given him water and it looks as if he takes it well, I am watching him from here and he is just moving his tail a little and trying to flap his one wing but he still lays with his head backward. I just don't know, I really could use a knap after working all night but I am affraid for him but if there is really nothing I can do but wait I am going to do so.
I am giving the water using a serenge along the side of his beak, when and how should I try and feed him?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts

Can you try to prop up his head. I would hold off on the rehydration until he is upright, as he can choke on the water going down the air tube, because of the position of the head.

At this point, just make him as comfortable as possible, and hydrate when and if he becomes more alert, as Reti mentioned.

Are there any noticeable injuries that you can see without moving him around?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
still alert

I lifted him and held him upright so he could drink and that went well. he gripped my finger with both feet this time and I had a hard time setting him down but he is now laying with his head to the side watching as I sit here.

I am going to have to leave for work in about an hour and my daughter will be giving him water but she will not hold the bird so he will not get anymore attention except for water untill midnight if I don't have to work over. I just got called back after lay off and I don't think they would understand a day off. He does look a little more at ease so I think he will be fine (I hope)

Trees, the wounds are hard to see unless I dig a little, I am not sure how many or how deep because I don't want to stress him out. Tonight I will check real good unless you say it should wait untill morning and just let him sleep. he can move both wings but one of them will not move at the (elbow?)

My wife siad she seen crows after the bird when she ran out there but I want to think that the crows may in fact saved his life (maybe) by chasing off the hawk. I know he is a young bird and his parents drink at the pond every day and have out flow hawks many times , I am surprised to see that this has happened, when they come in to drink they circle thre or more times before landing and they are only there maybe 3 seconds and gone again. now I am worried about the reast because this must be a new hawk.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I can't help you with the problem, but I want to tell you that I think your a great person for helping this bird. Not very people would have. Only time will tell, I hope he makes it. min

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I lifted him and held him upright so he could drink and that went well. he gripped my finger with both feet this time and I had a hard time setting him down but he is now laying with his head to the side watching as I sit here.

I am going to have to leave for work in about an hour and my daughter will be giving him water but she will not hold the bird so he will not get anymore attention except for water untill midnight if I don't have to work over. I just got called back after lay off and I don't think they would understand a day off. He does look a little more at ease so I think he will be fine (I hope)

Trees, the wounds are hard to see unless I dig a little, I am not sure how many or how deep because I don't want to stress him out. Tonight I will check real good unless you say it should wait untill morning and just let him sleep. he can move both wings but one of them will not move at the (elbow?)

My wife siad she seen crows after the bird when she ran out there but I want to think that the crows may in fact saved his life (maybe) by chasing off the hawk. I know he is a young bird and his parents drink at the pond every day and have out flow hawks many times , I am surprised to see that this has happened, when they come in to drink they circle thre or more times before landing and they are only there maybe 3 seconds and gone again. now I am worried about the reast because this must be a new hawk.
It's very important you look the bird over for puncture wounds.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I lifted him and held him upright so he could drink and that went well.
That's great. If need be, you can administer a drop at a time of rehydrating solution (to a cup of room temperature water add a pinch each of salt and sugar) just alongside the beak. This allows them to get some fluids but lessens the chance of aspiration. Food they can do without for a bit. Hydration is vital.

Please keep us posted.

Cindy

I'm going to move your thread to the 'Sick and Injured' forum.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
stable

just got in, they have him covered and I can see he is breathing so I will just keep my fingers crossed and check him at sunrise. My daughter said he took some water so I am hoping that will hold him. he will get my all day care

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Glad to know the bird is still alive. Often with a hawk attack there are extreme puncture wounds to either the back or under a wing. If the punctures are on the back it is possible there is damage to the spine which is causing the lack of control of the body parts. Often this resolves in a day or two. It's a waiting game now to see if there will be any improvement. Many thanks to you and your wife for helping!

Terry

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
just got in, they have him covered and I can see he is breathing so I will just keep my fingers crossed and check him at sunrise. My daughter said he took some water so I am hoping that will hold him. he will get my all day care
Appreciate the update. :)
Glad to hear he seems to be holding his own.

If you are offering him plain water, I would suggest replacing that with rehydrating solution. This will add some electrolytes and help give him a little boost.

Rehydrating solution: To a cup of room temperature water add a pinch each of salt and sugar.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
blank

there is good news and bad news and for me right know things are not good. last night after my last message my wife woke me to say that our baby girl tea is all better now, she was our 14 year old Yorkie and this day will be very hard for the both of us. I can say that our little birdie friend is still with us but I am not going to give it much care for a few hours, I gave him a little water and will try your solution later in the day when I feed every body else.

We had been told last September that Tea would most likly pass withen a few weeks but she had given us all this time sorry got to go

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for the update.

I'm so very sorry to hear about Tea.

Can you update us about the bird's condition?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about tea. I don't have any children and my dog is my baby. I can't imagine when the day comes for me. Heartbreaking.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
there is good news and bad news and for me right know things are not good. last night after my last message my wife woke me to say that our baby girl tea is all better now, she was our 14 year old Yorkie and this day will be very hard for the both of us. I can say that our little birdie friend is still with us but I am not going to give it much care for a few hours, I gave him a little water and will try your solution later in the day when I feed every body else.

We had been told last September that Tea would most likly pass withen a few weeks but she had given us all this time sorry got to go
Sorry to hear about Tea......we've got a little Yorkie too and she's 13 years old.............we just had to put down our 13 year old Pom in Dec two days after Christmas. I know how you feel. :(

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sorry for your loss..:(

not that it really matters but did you see a hawk get this bird?...I would think it would of been eaten or carried off and eaten, not just left injured....could be a critter got a hold of it and gave it spinal injury or it was sick and something tried to nibble on it....just a thought....hope you can get him better...
after reading this I just wondered why I even took the time to come on here to give you an update, My wife did not see a thing so you know you are probally right. The bird is still breathing
G/N

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved Yorkie. I know this is a very sad time for you and your family. We had a much loved Yorkie named Teddy that lived with us for 18 years. He was such a wonderful little dog and is thought of and missed to this day. Teddy has been gone for about 12 years now.

I am glad, however, that the bird is still among us. Please do keep us posted about the bird.

Terry

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved Yorkie. I know this is a very sad time for you and your family. We had a much loved Yorkie named Teddy that lived with us for 18 years. He was such a wonderful little dog and is thought of and missed to this day. Teddy has been gone for about 12 years now.

I am glad, however, that the bird is still among us. Please do keep us posted about the bird.

Terry
Thank you Terry for your thought, the hardest part for me was helping my wife threw this. It's 4 in the morning and our little friend is still with us, I will wake him fully in a few hour and try to feed him. I am not sure how I should do this, I do not have a feeding tube and was thinking I should just open his beak and try to get some seeds in. Any links you have would help me I am not much in the mood to dig around reading. T/U >Kevin

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
injured

You sure can feed softened dry dog food. You can also feed him defrosted corn and peas... this would be if he doesn't eat on his own and so you would feed him by first putting him in your lap, opening his beak and placing pea sized pieces of food at the back of hi throat. You will need to feed 35-40 pieces per feeding. The bird likely won't eat dog food or frozen peas and corn on his own as he won't recognized them as food. Hopefully if you offer seed he will eat. You could also offer whole grain bread, in a pinch.
Do call the vet you found and ask if they are willing to do an evaluation. Please keep in mind that if they recommend euthanasia that we have found disabled pigeons adapt very well to becoming companion birds. Often vets are too quick to make the call. Please keep that in mind.

I found this by charis T/Y I will try feeding around 8 am, I am still not sure what to do about the wing, I have seen some saying wrap it and some saying not too ( confused) It is really hard for me to hold him and keep his head straight, he wants to turn it backwards all the time I am not sure if feeding will be an easy thing to do, I am so afraid of stressing him to much, I still have 3 other dogs that love to bark at anything outside and I am sure this does not help the stress factor.
I really don't care how this happened, I have an injured bird and I am taking all advise on helping him survive. So far I am going to keep the odds on the good side But I am sure he may not be able to be released again, I will in time need your thoughts on this. Hoping for the best >Kevin .

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
You can wrap him into a towel, burrito style, just leave his beak out, that would be the easiest way to feed him, I think.
Do you have bird formula and a syringe or eye dropper?

Reti

1 - 20 of 43 Posts