Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
A pigeon fell down our chimney. The fireplace was blocked off so we had to make a hole in the wall to get it out... it was in the wall for a couple of days but quite active.
Eventually we got it out, but it was very ruffled, missing feathers and sadly doesn’t seem to be able to fly. We did manage to get it out with its wings tucked in but are worried an earlier attempt may have damaged it.
We live in a small house with a cat and a toddler, so no spare room to keep it in. Right now it’s in the shed with water and seeds and a towel. It’s quite active but can’t fly.
We want this pigeon to make it, but we can’t care for it here. Any help very much appreciated!

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
There are a few FB groups (Pigeon rescue and rehabilitation) where you can post for help. A member might suggest a rescue centre closeby. He might only be weak for being without food for a couple of days. Is he at least eating? Is the one wing hanging lower than the other? He might improve with good food and rest.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Hi Beth this is the best pigeon rescue for the UK on FB there is alot of rescuers (amazing members of the public) who come and collect or are always willing to take the pigeons if they can be brought to them because some of them don't drive and I've read so many amazing stories on there best of luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually neither wing is hanging down, but he does look very bedraggled! Can’t really tell if he’s had many of the seeds but he is pooping so that might be a good thing. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Beth any news on the little pigeon
Hey, yes there is! Thanks to your help we posted in the Facebook group and within a couple of hours a friendly lady had come to collect him. She dropped him with another lady who is going to care for him until (hopefully) he’s recovered and then will release him here again to find his mate. (I don’t know if it is a he or a she but it looked like a boy to my untrained eye!). Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey, yes there is! Thanks to your help we posted in the Facebook group and within a couple of hours a friendly lady had come to collect him. She dropped him with another lady who is going to care for him until (hopefully) he’s recovered and then will release him here again to find his mate. (I don’t know if it is a he or a she but it looked like a boy to my untrained eye!). Thanks so much for your help!
Awwww that's brilliant Beth glad I could help. The only way I try and guess is the males they are more robust and have a much more thick necks and brighter visible green,blue, purple iridescent colour on their necks but it depends on the breed and I find females are much more petite. Its hard to sex a pigeon I watch for the courting dance then I'm like yup your a male lol. I'm glad you found the wee guy tho and seeked help well done to you for helping this wee pigeon have another chance at life 🥰

1 - 8 of 8 Posts