Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, i jut got finished cleaning the worst projectile bird poop i've ever seen. all over my desk.

3 weeks ago i adopted a pair of iranian tumblers from a show breeder. their owner told me they should be about 2 years old and they grew up in a loft i dubbed 'poop mountain'. they're incredibly cute but still hardly tolerate me, i've never been slapped though and the hen does hesitantly eat from my hand. i've raised chickens for many years but these are my first pigeons and i have a steadily growing problem.

my birds are kept in a furnished extra large dog crate with a nest box, platforms, perches, etc. and i will try to let them out in my room every day for some exercise. this may be regular pigeon behaviour but as soon as i began letting them out they'd always take a HUGE pre-flight poo wherever they were. then it became more organized.
now i see hardly any poop at all in their cage, presumably because they think its their nest/home. i believe they now hold it in until i come home from college, let them out, and have assigned a 'perch' on top of my shelf as their toilet destination and utterly bomb the place with an enormous poop, then fly back to their cage.
this wouldnt be a problem if they werent scared of me so i could direct them to an appropriate place to do their business, i laid out paper and they still manage to deface my desk.
how can i reroute this behaviour? i'd like for them to use at least someplace in their cage for a toilet. :(

marius and paz on the designated Poop Shelf, the paper lining is being held down with the heaviest thing in my room...

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
When I had a particular pair in the house for a while, they wouldn't go in the cage either, as they wanted to keep it clean, so because they hold it, when they did get out, would of course drop a huge dropping. So what I would do with them is to keep a very small cage nest to their larger cage. When I let them out, I would first reach in and take each one and first put them in the small cage, where they would poop. Then I would let them out to fly in the room. It worked great with them. And I would just have to change out the paper towel in the smaller cage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I accidentally had created this same issue with my two babies. They don't like me much yet, but what I do is take them from the cage and put them in the bathroom with the door closed, until they have done their business. Then they are free to fly around for a few hours. I find it easier to clean up the tile floor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.