Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. I was giving my young bird some flight exercise today, and he was enjoying himself to the point that he jumped from my hand into the loft when I was putting him inside. I think he caught his foot on the mesh floor. He can extend his leg, however his foot is limp and there’s no resistance in his toes except for very small amounts of movement occasionally. There’s no swelling and I can’t feel a fracture. Think he’ll get better with some TLC, or should I take some form of action?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm not 100% if it'll work in your case, but when my bird was attacked by 2 dogs (large ones) and he had a limp I just kept him in my house next to me at all times and left the leg alone. He eventually started putting pressure on the leg again and is now back to normal.

you should try to get to an avian vet and ask them to do an x-ray though just to make sure there aren't any permanent complications from a possible fracture.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not 100% if it'll work in your case, but when my bird was attacked by 2 dogs (large ones) and he had a limp I just kept him in my house next to me at all times and left the leg alone. He eventually started putting pressure on the leg again and is now back to normal.

you should try to get to an avian vet and ask them to do an x-ray though just to make sure there aren't any permanent complications from a possible fracture.
well, I've been leaving him (mostly) alone, checking in every once in a while. Gave him some vitamin b in his water and some good food, and he seems to be doing quite a bit better! he's still not putting a lot of pressure on it, and after some exercise today he kept it up a bit, but he's starting to stand on it again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts