Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...

I was lucky enough to have a pigeon stumble into my deck area on the second floor of my house a couple weeks ago. He couldn't fly well and Appeared to have hit my chimney and fallen into the closed in deck area. I gave him a bowl of water, a bell of wild bird seed, and plenty of love. He got better and flew away on his own and has been frequently coming to my house in the mornings to get water or birdseed that I have out there for him.

Today when I woke up I found him sitting outside but he was a little crooked and sitting down completely. When I looked at him from a different angle I could see that his leg was off the the side, obviously not normal. I've been watching him and he appears to not be able to get up, he just sort of flops on his belly towards the food and water. (Very sad looking) He is pretty used to me being around so he allows me to come outside and be semi-close to him, so I pushed the water dish and food closer to him so he wouldn't have to move.

I picked him up very gently to see what his belly looked like, and I'm thinking he was attacked. He is missing feathers on his stomach. It's kind of hard to describe so I'm going to snap some pictures. (I'm only 15 so I'm not sure how to describe this stuff...please excuse my little amount of knowledge. I've been trying to look at things online and this site has been where I've gotten most of the help! Thanks so much!)

Pictures:
Food Area/Set-up
The spot on his tummy
This foot
Close Up
How He Sits

If you need any other specific pictures then let me know, I'm here waiting for answers and keeping a close eye on my baby. <3

His name is Stormtail! Please help me save my baby! :eek:
-Kim

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Thank you for helping this little guy. He looks very sweet.
Seems like he is unable to get around or fly away so you can't leave him ourside.
Could you bring him inside and take a closer look at the leg/foot. Make sure there is no bone sticking out from under the skin.
It could be his wounds are not severe and he can recover in a few days with some TLC, warmth, food and water.
You can apply antibiotic cream on his tummy after washing the wound.

Reti

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm... I don't see any bone or anything. I'll try and convince my parents to let me keep him inside. What should I keep him in?

-Kim

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
He should be confined to a small dog or cat carrier or cage, where he cannot move around and do further damage to the sprain/break. Make sure he is out of drafts of air in a quiet area.

Where do you live, perhaps we can find you some help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in Southern California, and I've already checked my closest animal hospital, they don't take birds. I'll keep an eye on him for another day and if he doesn't improve I'll start searching far and wide for a pet hospital that will take him.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
We might have members in S.CA. Hang in there.

Reti

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, my parents won't let me keep him inside because "its a wild animal and this sort of thing happens to them and they die and we shouldn't be babying this bird."
Would it be okay to keep him in box of some sorts that's big enough for him with plenty of towels and birdseed? My mom (who is not as opposed to taking care of creatures as my dad is) bought some birdseed and some "popped seed" which is sort of like popcorn for birds. Is this okay for him?
I didn't put any antibiotics on his feather-less stomach because I didn't know what was safe for him. Is there something I could get a hold of that's okay for me to use on him that is easy to get? I don't have any pet stores that have stuff for birds where I live. (Mostly dog and cat places)

-Kim

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
It is fine to keep him in a box, carrier or cage, anything that will keep him safe from predators.
Neosporin cream from the drugstore is ok to put on his wound.

Reti

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I'm in Lake Forest in South Orange County and would be happy to take in the bird for you. I have many rescued pigeons and doves.

If you are able to get the bird to me either in Lake Forest where I live or in Garden Grove where I work three days a week, please let me know. You can call me if you like at 949-584-6696.

Terry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well he flew away the day after I last posted and I've been waiting for him to come back but I don't think he will. I'm hoping he either found a suitable place to recover or maybe he found somewhere that he could pass on without anyone bothering him and without too much pain. I still check for him and keep birdseed and water outside, so if he did get better he has a home to come back to visit. Thank you for all the help!

-Kim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts