Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Hi Calder,

Sounds like you are doing a veryt nice job of it.

Maybe post some images of any of the details of the Foot or Toes, if you would like specific evaluations of those.

Images of the Bird themseves, too of course!

Is this 'string' as in a Cotton String? Or, as is usually the case, some sort tof ultra fine filliment synthetic fiber?

The very fine strand stuff can be hard to get it all removed, especially if scar Tissue is covering it or flesh has grown over it so that filiments are literally 'in' the solid Tissues.

Phil
Las Vegas

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
If you can, go to any Drug Store and get a fine slender-blade pair of Cuticle Scissors, and, some long slender sharp point Tweezers.

These are very useful for removing filliments such as those seen in the 'Toes' image.

The filliments will be wound around in differing directions, or, one un-winds them according to how they are wound, anyway.

In instances where there do not seem to be any winds to get a grip on to the end of, one can carefully slide one of the narrow pointy ends of the Cuticle Scissors parralell to and under one winding, and, gently coax it up and out far enough to snip it, and, then, elect either of those now 'ends' to use the Tweezers with, to see about un-winding it acording to the direction it was wound in.

All embeded filliments need to be removed.

Afflcited area may then have 'Neosporin' gently rubbed in.

Some demonstration of method -

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/468669808EgjJHs

Again, and, showing the two crucial Tools -

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/548827625dbNzVH

This procedure often takes quite a bit of time to accomplish, and, it is important to have way of holding the Bird so one can have access to the Feet and Toes, and, for the Bird to be comfortable.

In instances which do take quite a while, I usually take a break, and, let the Bird have a break also, where, we have some Seeds on a Towel on my Lap or a drink or both.

I have found it useful to simply talk with the Bird, as I hold them at my own eye level, and, show them the Tools, and, explain what I have in mind to do, and, assure them in various ways, letting them know I wish to correct the bother they have been havng with the foreign material on their Feet, and so on, and, with rare exception, they are very co-operatative and accepting and patient, and, relax the Leg I need to be holding and working on, and this is a great help.

If the Bird is distrusting or stuggling, the procedure would be impossible to do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts