Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
guys help me about the sexes of my young birds..i mean are they both hens or cock..or which is which..theyre not siblings..i bought them from my officemate here in the philippines..thanks a lot..more power..!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
no way to tell, were they given to you as a pair? they look young to me. so will not know for sure untill they mature or they start to pick a mate and nest. one can only make a guess at this point. pretty birds by the way.:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
can you put up a picture of them perked up and ill give my honest opinion its easy enough to tell with a racer when its perked up/ standing tall

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
At around 6 months of age, they begin courting behavior. Males usually are very "cocky" holding their heads up, strutting in circles, fanning their feathers while making lots of noise. When they find a hot prospect, they bow and coo to her. Supposedly, although I've never seen it, they will bring a twig to the hen of their choice and present it to her. If she accepts the twig, she accepts him as her mate. You'll then notice the cock hopping up on her back for a few secs at a time-that's mating!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep guys they're still young especially the black one..they both have the band "philippines 2010".my officemate told me the gracie one is a japan line.is there such a thing as japan bloodline?lol a lil curious here..thanks to you guys more power..

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
It just means that somewhere in the pedigree the birds were from a fancier in Japan.

They look about 2-3 months old. In a few more months you'll have a better chance at telling the sex. Is the Philipines in the Northern or Southern Hemisphere? I should probably know that but for some reason it isn't coming to me :p I received some 2010 Phil bands some time ago, so you guys get the next year's bands way earlier than us!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
It is 50-50 that they are the same sex. :)

Seriously, there is an occupation called a "chicken sexer". Whereupon a person checks day old baby chickens by feeling the vent bones (opening at the back of a chicken where the egg comes out) and after a lot of pratice, they can sex baby chicks fairly accurate. The ones with a wider spread between the vent bones is a female and the smaller gap ones are males (roosters). I have never tried it on young pigeons but I have tried it on young parrots and it works.

Give it a try and see if they are the same. If so, then they most likely are the same sex. The difference in the "gap" would be very small though. Good luck.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
It is 50-50 that they are the same sex. :)

Seriously, there is an occupation called a "chicken sexer". Whereupon a person checks day old baby chickens by feeling the vent bones (opening at the back of a chicken where the egg comes out) and after a lot of pratice, they can sex baby chicks fairly accurate. The ones with a wider spread between the vent bones is a female and the smaller gap ones are males (roosters). I have never tried it on young pigeons but I have tried it on young parrots and it works.

Give it a try and see if they are the same. If so, then they most likely are the same sex. The difference in the "gap" would be very small though. Good luck.
Actually they don't feel the vent bones, but they squish their vent areas to where the cloaca opens up. If I remember right, the roosters have shiny nubs that poke out and the hens have dull butts I guess :p They also use feather sexing methods for the birds who have been bred for hens with faster growing coverts (again, if I remember right, might be the other way around).

The spacing between the vent bones is much more accurate once the birds are sexually mature, mostly because the hens open up a bit more for egg laying as they mature. Some hens I've handled have had some very tight vents. So not always totally accurate anyway.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Hmm. Then why did I get PHIL 2010 bands in August? :confused: Maybe someone from the Philipines can explain that to me :p
Well, those birds are from the future then :D

Regarding determination using the vent bone, there were a couple of other threads in which it was mentioned that the method is accurate mostly in case of the mature hens which has already laid an egg. A cock and a hen may have the same spacing between the vent bones if the hen has never laid an egg before.

And pls correct my grammar, is it "laid" or "layed" ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
i didnt know that!really?!
Hey Kimpoywafu, I'm also from the Philippines, PHIL 2010 band is just a commercial band or a stock band.. In some other clubs here in the Philippines, you can also race even if your birds are not banded with registered club bands as long as it is banded with commercial bands, but I believe in an Old Bird Category or Open race only, even if it is a 2010 banded bird.. There is also a breeder here who successfully raced his birds in big clubs here in the Philippines and he is also well known in our country who uses Japan bloodlines..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Kimpoywafu, I'm also from the Philippines, PHIL 2010 band is just a commercial band or a stock band.. In some other clubs here in the Philippines, you can also race even if your birds are not banded with registered club bands as long as it is banded with commercial bands, but I believe in an Old Bird Category or Open race only, even if it is a 2010 banded bird.. There is also a breeder here who successfully raced his birds in big clubs here in the Philippines and he is also well known in our country who uses Japan bloodlines..
ok sir..thanks for the info..

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Well, those birds are from the future then :D

Regarding determination using the vent bone, there were a couple of other threads in which it was mentioned that the method is accurate mostly in case of the mature hens which has already laid an egg. A cock and a hen may have the same spacing between the vent bones if the hen has never laid an egg before.

And pls correct my grammar, is it "laid" or "layed" ?
I agree, mature birds are easier to get the sex right :)

And I believe it's 'laid'...I think, LOL :p I could be wrong, but if I am, then I've typed a lot of wrong sentences :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts