Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in Central TX and a baby dove fell from the nest here on Wed. and we were unable to put it back.. It does have fuzz and a few feathers and looks exactly like the u Tube video of an 11 day old dove being fed from a syringe with a balloon looking gadget added to it. It is doing well and today it really holds it's mouth open for me. I do know how to keep it warm and when to feed. I would appreciate more information. Will I have to keep it until spring? Merry Christmas and God bless you for any information.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you

Thank you for your reply! I have hand raised 2 African Gray parrots years ago and appreciate the feed tips but I really need to know what to do with the dove in December. Will I have to keep it until spring? The mother is still here in the very tall oak tree even though it so cold today.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
warm him with the heating pad and feed the kaytee and add a croc of wild bird seed to his enclosure..and pop a few seeds as well and peck in the dish to get him interested.. they mature quicker than pigeons do..so he should be close to eating on his own..

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I don't know what you should do with him over the winter. How cold does it get in Texas in the wintertime? (I'm in NE, so there are no wild baby birds here right now.)

There are federal laws prohibiting anyone without a license from keeping mourning doves, so you are running a risk (although don't take that as me discouraging you from helping--just something you need to be aware of.)

You might see if any of the members here who have rehabbed wild birds have an idea of when/how you should release him.

The ideal would be getting him back in that nest, but it sounds like that is somehow impossible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts