Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay...so one of my birds went missing for a day and came back full of lice!:eek: What can I do to get rid of them? I've isolated the bird in a separate cage for the time being so that it won't pass it on to the others. Please advise!....

Henry

P.S. I've already washed the bird down with water which I mixed with borax.

Edit -I've have read that Sevin Garden Dust can take care of the problem. Has anyone used that on thir birds and if so where do you buy it?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You can buy scat , or any kind of pet bird mite and lice spray at any pet store. Or Permethrin garden and poultry dust, that you can get at any hardware store or garden center. They all work well. Permectin II, you can buy online to dip them in. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The borax will help to keep bugs away, but once you get them on the bird, you need one of those other remedies. You just want to get rid of them fast. Just make sure you don't get any of them in the eyes, or near the head. Mostly do under the wings and tail, and some on his back.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Edit -I've have read that Sevin Garden Dust can take care of the problem. Has anyone used that on thir birds and if so where do you buy it?
Sevin Dust works great and is quick and safe .. get the 5% strength .. Lowe's, Home Depot, just about anyplace that has a Garden Department. I have used Sevin Dust for years for dogs, cats, and birds .. never had a problem.

Terry

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies! Took another look at the bird and it was infested with lice! I even got some on my shirt when I held close to settle it down while picking it up. I could see them all over the crop area and underneath the wings and back tail feathers. It looks like it took a swim in a pool of lice! lol....I"ve read up more on the "Sevin " garden dust and looks like that will do the job! I'll pick some up at Lowe's tonight. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks again!

Henry

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Walmart even carries that Sevin Dust. I have the same shock when I found out that my babies had lice. My expression was like "that can't happen to me," but it did. Now I felt humbled. I noticed something good in that if I dipped my infested baby in a diluted vinegar water 3 or 4 in a week, it get rids of them! I also give them that borax water. So far it works!

Here is one way of dusting birds:http://www.youtube.com/v/-iAqz4TAQ1o&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Speaking of dipping in vinegar water, I put a couple tablespoons of ACV in my birds' bath water. Seems to help them out :)

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
It does work. I counted each lice per bird per dipping to see any effects. After 3 or 4 dippings they are gone. Yeah, I am that scientific. LOL!

I put several tablespoons myself and after I dipped them, my birds smell like vinegar. That is how I know I got the right concentration. BIG LOL!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I usually use the Permethrin dust on birds when I first get them and have them in quarantine. Then usually after about a day or 2 Ill let them take a bath in the morning to wash out the dust and as they dry throughout the day I put a few drops of Scatt on them.i use Scatt on my birds about once a month like you would with Advantage or Frontline for your cats and dogs.. It seems to keep the birds Lice and Mite free. :D

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: My bird is lice free! I let him back into the loft today and he was extremely happy to be back with his buddies. That dust stuff really works! I think I'll treat the rest of my flock this weekend just in case....thanks again guys for the assistance!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a question about this Permethrin garden and poultry dust or Sevin Dust. Do you sprinkle this dust on the birds? How much dust do you use?

I've used the Permethrin dip, but since I don't have many birds, I waste a lot of that dip since the bottle says that once it is open, I have to finish it up within so many days.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Well, probably many people sprinkle it on, but I don't, as I'm concerned about getting it into their eyes. I use a small powder puff, like for make-up, and dab it all over,especially under their wings and tail, and rub in a little. Keeping it away from their head. You can use cotten balls also. It's easier to dab it on then sprinkle, especially under the wings and tail. At least it is for me. But then I'm sure many just sprinkle it on.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Well, probably many people sprinkle it on, but I don't, as I'm concerned about getting it into their eyes. I use a small powder puff, like for make-up, and dab it all over,especially under their wings and tail, and rub in a little. Keeping it away from their head. You can use cotten balls also. It's easier to dab it on then sprinkle, especially under the wings and tail. At least it is for me. But then I'm sure many just sprinkle it on.
oh good tip!, sounds easier than powder fluffing all over the place...I have put it in a bag and then put the bird in the bag with his head out and then just massage the bag kinda like shake-n-bake....it sounds better than it is...it's kinda akward.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, with the cotton ball or powder puff, they don't even mind really. My birds would put up one hell of a fight if I tried to put them in a bag. They fight when I put them in the closed basket I use to weigh them. I figure why upset them if I don't have to. It's easier on both of us.

If I tried the "shake N bake", they'd probably think they were gonna be dinner. LOL.
Shake N Bake..................... That's funny.

·
Registered
56 Posts
...I have put it in a bag and then put the bird in the bag with his head out and then just massage the bag kinda like shake-n-bake....
With my luck, I would be "shake-n-baking" a bird and my husband (who knows I hate to cook) would tell me something like, "Ummm...honey...the bird isn't ready to put in the oven."

Thanks for the tip on brushing it on. I picked up a few big makeup brushes from the Dollar Tree (for my glitter tattoo hobby). I'll give it a try.

I LOVE this forum. I learn soooo much.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I have never used a brush. Don't know if it will put enough of the powder on the bird. I'd try the powder puff or cotton ball. Let us know how it goes with the brush though.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just rubbed the bird down like the guy did on the video and it was a breeze. It was so easy that I decided to dust the rest of my birds. It took me no more than an hour and a half to catch and dust 25 birds.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts