Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
help please my pigeon flew up onto my nieghors roof and wont come down. he usualy flies right out of my habd when i hold him in the backyard and into his cage in the gargage but today i let him do this and he instead flew up onto my nighbors roof. I put some food up on my gargage roof so mabey he will come back to eat.i can see him from my window but its getting dark. he is used to eating in the morning. i willleave the garage door open so he can fly back in. he has no ring or anything and i couldnt bare to lose him. do you think he will come back? please help me immediatly!!!!!!
Edit/Delete Message

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
he is a rescued feral he has feral colors and there is nothing wrong with him but he is my pet and i love him very much i realy dont want to lose him.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
He was young when you found him, so he doesn't really know how to survive in the wild. I hope he comes back, as he may not make it out there. You did take a chance on this happening when you released him outside. He can be flown indoors where he can't take off.
There is a chance he will come back when hungry enough. Leave the door open and a light on. Put Food down.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Please tell us what he is doing. I am new, but I think he should come back. Keep his space open and make sure his food is there. Let us know what happens. I am wishing you both good luck. You are good and kind and have done your best.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he is just sitting there right now i can see him even though its very dark. looks like he swill spend the night there. im hoping that hunger brings him back home in the morning.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
It probably will bring him back in the morning. How cold is it where you live? Location?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It probably will bring him back in the morning. How cold is it where you live? Location?
I live in Floral Park Long Island on the outskirts of NYC. I dont know the exact demperature but it is very cold. There is snow on the ground and all the water has turned to ice.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Long night ahead of him. If cats/night time predators can't reach where he is sitting right now then leave him there and hope he returns come morning

Do you have any other winged pet???
Next morning leave food and water dish out. (If you have any other winged pet put him there in a cage or something-(not for long as he could catch cold)) your pigeon may come back.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am thinking that you are good at this, so you must build your own loft and get more pigeons. I hope he comes back in, but he also would like to have a flock around him. Can you build a loft outside and start raising your own flock?

Please let us know how it is going, and don't let this discourage you from learning and building your own loft.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He came back! In the early morning he looked like he was trying to take off but was scared to because it was like a 30 foot drop. I stood in my yard and whistled at him and shook a bag of food. When I got back from school he was in the garage and had eaten all of his food. I will be much more carefull with him from now on! I was very scared and I will probably keep him mostly inside from now on! I cant get a loft because I am only thirteen and my parents dont like my one pigeon as it is! Maybe when im older I will get a loft but I also like just keeping one or two as house pets, because when they are in a loft they dont see you as thier owner and they dont like you as much.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
He came back! In the early morning he looked like he was trying to take off but was scared to because it was like a 30 foot drop. I stood in my yard and whistled at him and shook a bag of food. When I got back from school he was in the garage and had eaten all of his food. I will be much more carefull with him from now on! I was very scared and I will probably keep him mostly inside from now on! I cant get a loft because I am only thirteen and my parents dont like my one pigeon as it is! Maybe when im older I will get a loft but I also like just keeping one or two as house pets, because when they are in a loft they dont see you as thier owner and they dont like you as much.

Mine do! LOL. I spend a lot of time with my birds. They're my pets. I'm glad you have him back, and will be more careful in the future. So many things could have happened to him out there alone. I'm glad he is safe. He can get a lot of exercise just flying inside where he is safe.:)

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Great news that he back. Pls keep him indoors till march until winters are over.

Pigeons do recognise and love their owners whether they are kept indoors as pets or in a loft outdoors

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
they recongniZe food when they see it and hear the bag.. I really don't beleive they love humans,..lol.. they want the food they give them wherever they may live, feral, loft, garage, cage, house , dovecote.... food is the only motivator to get their attention.

·
Registered
643 Posts
they recongniZe food when they see it and hear the bag.. I really don't beleive they love humans,..lol.. they want the food they give them wherever they may live, feral, loft, garage, cage, house , dovecote.... food is the only motivator to get their attention.
I wouldn;t say love but they are definitely smart enough to recognize individuals and get excited/riled up because they know you give them what they need/want

whether it is food
a bath
nesting material
opening the door to let them out

Owner = good stuff

so they look out for you and hang around, which is what you want in the end :)

They definitely react very differently when one of my family members are next to them, and when they catch sight of me, and I've only had the pigeons for 3 weeks!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Owner = good stuff

that is very true, although I agree that pigeons want just food and shelter (they are animals, they don't react/think/feel the deep way we do) but they are pretty smart beyong of what their behaviour indicates ..

they do recognize the difference between different people images therefore they recognize their owner that is a study I read on the net

·
Registered
643 Posts
Pigeons and other critters have instincts not emotions. Except for dogs.(lol) My dog really does love me.:)
I think there are many animals that have emotions. Mainly those with more complex societies/packs like cats/dogs/horses/apes

I don't think pigeons have really evolved beyond the instinct stage. Though they definitely have veeeeeeeeeery varied personalities :p

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
as said they like food, not sure why I had to be quoted it is pretty simple really.

as for what lisanewtumbler said, Im hoping most know they are smart enough, if you want to call it love, go for it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts