Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...so he's still hanging on. I've tried to give him some liquid with a syringe, I know, I've read about aspirating the water, but he's going to die without some nourishment anyway, so I figured I'd give it my best shot...can anyone give me any tips on how best to syringe feed him please. I don't think he's going to last much longer though :(

Oh and he just "coughed" up some seeds... he didn't really make much noise though doing it. Just two or three seeds.

And I'm pretty sure for the whole time I've had him...(6hours ish) he's not opened his eyes even when I tried to give him some water. He moves, but that's it.

Ok, I'm going to go to bed now and hopefully he won't be dead in the morning. Courage my little pidge. :eek:

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Frog pigeon, please do not try and feed this bird anything right now, as it will have the opposite effect than what you think it will have. You came here for help, and we are trying to help you, so no food until he is properly hydrated, this could take 8-12 hours, even then please do not try and feed him without checking in.

What you can do is give him a very small amount of sugar water for energy, 1 teaspoon of sugar/honey to 60mL of water, and give 4-5mL (80-100 drops). Before doing this you must get 2 rounds of the hydration fluids into him first. Again, if you give sugar water before hydrating him, it will have an opposite effect than what you think, it will drain energy and not give it. Do not give this more than twice a day, spaced by 2-3 rounds of hydration fluids.

Karyn

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi, Please if this pigeon's got any chance do try and follow Karyn's advice as she's very experienced.

As she said, feeding at this moment can prove fatal in itself.

Did you look in his mouth to check if he has any yellowy growths, or is there any bad smell coming from his beak.
He looks very sick and if he choked up some seeds his throat maybe blocked so do try and look gently in his mouth and tell Karyn if you see anything yellow,

Sorry to butt in but I can feel your desperation to help and Karyn can guide you best here,

Janet

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't tried to feed him. He coughed up seed that I hadn't given him. I know that rehydration is most important, but no ones giving me the information that I need...HOW DO I GET THE LIQUID INTO HIM IF HE WON'T TAKE IT HIMSELF!.. It's really frustrating sitting here waiting for a reply while this poor creature is dying before my eyes! So is it any good Amoxicilline mylan ? How do I give it to him if it is good? Please answer my question, I'm trying to do my best.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
The trouble is you've opened two threads and I think you'll find Karyn did answer everything you asked in your other thread.

I understand how you are feeling but if you just take it gently and go back and read the instructions she gave you you'll be fine.
I think she's covered how to mix the medication and how to drip it along the side of his beak.

I'd just write in this one post now and then you'll find the advice easily.

Janet

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He doesn't seem to have anything in his mouth. However just a few minutes ago he did regurgitate some more seeds...with some yellowy liquid. He doesn't smell in his beak. And the liquid that I'm trying to give him is the rehydration stuff previously suggested, not just water. Iam listening and following what you say, just tired and sad. (and bad at typing when all of the above) :(

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Don't worry, I know how tired and worried you must be. I can hardly keep my eyes open as it's so late but I just waited to see if you'd managed to find the info on how to mix the medication.

That's good that his throat doesn't have a massive blockage. The yellow liquid could still mean he might have canker further down but at least if his throat is clear then fluids can get down.

Have you found the advice Karyn posted in your other thread, the one you started to ask for help in before this one?
I just looked and she's put lots of help in as to how to mix it with honey and also how to hold him and drip the fluids along the side of his beak.
You'll find if he's so sick he will be slow to take it but if you hold him on your lap and just drop the fluid along the side of his beak, then usually they do sip it in. It's a slow process but if you can just do this for a while, ( and manage to stay awake!!), then at least he'll have had something to help him through the night if you have to leave him to go to bed.
Keep him warm. Do you have an airing cupboard where there's some hot water pipes running through that stays warm, then you could put his box in there for the night to keep him snug.
Also put the water bottle in with him wrapped in a towel so he doesn't get too hot.

I'm willing you on and hope he hangs on long enough for the treatment to help.

Good luck

Janet

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The trouble is you've opened two threads and I think you'll find Karyn did answer everything you asked in your other thread.

I understand how you are feeling but if you just take it gently and go back and read the instructions she gave you you'll be fine.
I think she's covered how to mix the medication and how to drip it along the side of his beak.

I'd just write in this one post now and then you'll find the advice easily.

Janet
No there's no advise on how to give him the medication. Or on how to give him the rehydration fluid if he won't drink it.... I opened another thread because I'm desperate. And I don't really know how forums work, so I thought I'd cut my loses and maybe I'm stupid, but I'm panicking a bit here.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I think I know why you've missed it. Go back and open the first thread you started but if you can see at the top it goes onto a second page. It's all on the next page.
At the top right hand corner if the page you'll see the page numbers, click on 2 and you'll find what I'm on about. Just go back and see if you can see what I mean.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Thanks Janet for helping out so much, yes, I think he missed a second page was started. Just follow what is there, also, as mentioned before, we need to get a second medication for him called Metronidazole (Flagyl), if he survives the night, please this medication (a few pills will do), I'll give you instructions on how to mix and dose, once I know the strength. Fluid every 2-3 hours.

Karyn

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't worry, I know how tired and worried you must be. I can hardly keep my eyes open as it's so late but I just waited to see if you'd managed to find the info on how to mix the medication.

That's good that his throat doesn't have a massive blockage. The yellow liquid could still mean he might have canker further down but at least if his throat is clear then fluids can get down.

Have you found the advice Karyn posted in your other thread, the one you started to ask for help in before this one?
I just looked and she's put lots of help in as to how to mix it with honey and also how to hold him and drip the fluids along the side of his beak.
You'll find if he's so sick he will be slow to take it but if you hold him on your lap and just drop the fluid along the side of his beak, then usually they do sip it in. It's a slow process but if you can just do this for a while, ( and manage to stay awake!!), then at least he'll have had something to help him through the night if you have to leave him to go to bed.
Keep him warm. Do you have an airing cupboard where there's some hot water pipes running through that stays warm, then you could put his box in there for the night to keep him snug.
Also put the water bottle in with him wrapped in a towel so he doesn't get too hot.

I'm willing you on and hope he hangs on long enough for the treatment to help.

Good luck

Janet
I can't find the info...on my other thread and hotmail doesn't say that she's replied...:( I'm going to try to give him a bit more of what I've mixed myself. I mixed a little bit of pill (antibiotic) with this hydration solution, and I dripped it into his beak...but that just makes him do the regurgitation thing. So I'll try just running down his beak. Before he regurgitated the seeds he had about 1ml...but I bet that all came out with the grain :( I'll keep on trying.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I can't find the info...on my other thread and hotmail doesn't say that she's replied...:( I'm going to try to give him a bit more of what I've mixed myself. I mixed a little bit of pill (antibiotic) with this hydration solution, and I dripped it into his beak...but that just makes him do the regurgitation thing. So I'll try just running down his beak. Before he regurgitated the seeds he had about 1ml...but I bet that all came out with the grain :( I'll keep on trying.
Here is a link to my post:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpost.php?p=618840&postcount=16

While not what we want, it's OK that he regurgitates, sometimes they have stuff down there they feel need to come out, the fluids will help him do this, just keep slowly giving the fluids.

Karyn

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh thank you thank you, I just read the post...stupid me! Ok so that will work with a 1g pill...It seems a lot. And also I'm really confused about the dosage. I've got the honey/med mixture done. How much of this do I need to give him? Sorry just one more time, I know you're probably fed up of me by now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh thank you thank you, I just read the post...stupid me! Ok so that will work with a 1g pill...It seems a lot. And also I'm really confused about the dosage. I've got the honey/med mixture done. How much of this do I need to give him? Sorry just one more time, I know you're probably fed up of me by now.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
No problem, we know you are tired and under pressure and want this little gut to make it. You will give 6 drops of this suspension, this medicine may help with some secondary issues, but I think what is wrong with him needs the Metronidazole I mentioned earlier, so do try and get some ASAP in the morning. Just take your time with the fluids, his head tilted down, a drop or two at a time to the side of his beak, let him swallow, repeat.

Good luck,

Karyn

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have to go to work tomorrow morning... I have no idea how I can get drugs like that without a prescription...and in france...hmmmm....

I've given him the meds, and now I'm going to try a bit of the hyra stuff... but I'm not even sure it's going in!! Thank you so much. I'll let you know tomorrow after work if he made it or not. Keep everything crossed for him please won't you.

laura xxx

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I have to go to work tomorrow morning... I have no idea how I can get drugs like that without a prescription...and in france...hmmmm....

I've given him the meds, and now I'm going to try a bit of the hyra stuff... but I'm not even sure it's going in!! Thank you so much. I'll let you know tomorrow after work if he made it or not. Keep everything crossed for him please won't you.

laura xxx
Laura, we sometimes have this same problem getting meds this side of the worlds without prescriptions. Many times tropical fish stores carry Metronidazole, as it is used to treat for a number of diseases fish get, there are a few names for it. One well distributed one is called Metroplex by Seachem, here is a link:

If you do try the tropical fish store route, if it's anything else than Metroplex by Seachem, or FishZole by Thomas Labs, you have to be sure what you are buying is 100% Metronidazole, no other additives, read the labeling and make sure of this.

Also, Metronidazole (Flagyl) is used to treat a common women's infection, so it's a medicine that readily available at any pharmacy. You can check with friends and family to see if they by chance they have any, or even a sympathetic doctor or pharmacist, one 500mg pill will do the job (but get two if you can :)).

Good luck,

Karyn

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Laura, we sometimes have this same problem getting meds this side of the worlds without prescriptions. Many times tropical fish stores carry Metronidazole, as it is used to treat for a number of diseases fish get, there are a few names for it. One well distributed one is called Metroplex by Seachem, here is a link:

If you do try the tropical fish store route, if it's anything else than Metroplex by Seachem, or FishZole by Thomas Labs, you have to be sure what you are buying is 100% Metronidazole, no other additives, read the labeling and make sure of this.

Also, Metronidazole (Flagyl) is used to treat a common women's infection, so it's a medicine that readily available at any pharmacy. You can check with friends and family to see if they by chance they have any, or even a sympathetic doctor or pharmacist, one 500mg pill will do the job (but get two if you can :)).

Good luck,

Karyn
He's still alive!!! And I don't want to sound too optimistic, but he looks so much better! His Eyes are open and his head is up and he's even standing. I've taken so more photo's if you're are interested in a look and I'm pretty sure you will be. So I will try to get this medication today and do I make the same mixture like with the other med? Honey and crushed pill? Is it even coming in pill form? right better get going now. I'm sooooo tired, and work is not going to be kind to me! (busy restaurant!!) But It's so worth it for this small result!

Thanks a million, I wouldn't have been able to do it without your advise and kind natures...to all that's helped janet and karyn and (spirit wings, but maybe that's janet) I'm soooo confused hahaha! Love to you all! xxx Laura

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi Laura,

This is the first thing I thought about when I woke up this morning. You must be tired as I'm shattered and you went to bed even later by the looks of it!

I'm so pleased he's still with us and perking up a bit.

I hope you have some luck getting the Flagyl as this is going to help a lot.

Will check back later to see how things are. A massive thanks to Karyn.

Good luck

Janet

1 - 20 of 71 Posts