Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone hope u can help:(

so after just over a month of trainging my birds they had really settled down knowijng when feeding time was, knowing the sound of the shaking can and everything else and they seemed really content in their new home so after a few weeks of walking around my patio i decided it was time for their fist flight yesterday.....

so i let them out they flew to my garden floor then after about 10 minutes took of to the skies circled my house, and i have not seen them since yesterday at 10am :( i didnt feed them atall the day before just too make sure they was hungry when i let them out!

and nothing i keep going out shaking the can... i cant see them atall:(

please can i have some advice? am i likely too see my birds again?

Mike

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they are 8 months and no i have not seen them since yesterday at 10 am, if the are gone for good what do u reccomend i do i dont want to give up? do i get more birds?

Mike

·
Registered
594 Posts
Where did you get the birds? Any chance of speaking to the place they came from to see if they have returned there? Had they ever been flown? How long did you have them locked up?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
been locked up 6 weeks phoned the place i got them from he said nothig had shown up but he'll keep looking, they had not been flown b4? i dont know what too do?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
mike you were told this may happen as they did look like homers, it is not wise to try to rehome homers as they will, well just like yours did, fly off. the only control one may have when letting homers out is to trap train and use the feed like you did, so the only missing piece of the puzzle is that they were too old to home to your loft. you need to start with squeakers under 40 days old for the most part. some other breeds like rollers or tumblers can be settle to your loft because they do not home like homers do. I think you were hoping these were some kind of tumblers, but sounds like not. the only thing you can do is find where their pre home is and IF they may show up there, you could get them back that way, but they would not beable to be let out. did they have bands on? if so someone one day may find them and report the band info on one of the pigeon racing sites or even here. but not to be so negative here, give them a few days, you never know they may have really liked your place and perhaps find their way back, all you can do is wait and see.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Mike88,

Given your birds were 8 months old... that's pretty much full grown... like Spirit said, you likely made the mistake of letting them out when you shouldn't have had. I made that same mistake with a bird once.

Re-homing homers is very difficult at best. You'd have been better off raising some young from those birds and homing them.

Sorry if I misunderstood, but now if they weren't even homers in the first place, bad plan letting them out at all.

Anyway, I've had birds stay out overnight and show up the next day and I even had a prisoner escape once and return about 5 days later wanting back in, so, it is possible some of them will return. I don't want to get your hopes up, but keep an eye out.

Occasionally too strays will happen into someone else's loft. Maybe they'll show up that way.

Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Right ok so heres the story so far.... i still have not seen my birds anywhere atall so im loosing hope, thanks for all ur advice and replies and with regards too spirit wings: i now have a pair of 6 week old SQUEAKERS..... and boy do they squeak lol:)
so do i just carry on training theese youngters as i was training my older birds? should i bundle thier wings to let them walk around like i did my others? any advice would be very helpful maybe i can do it right this time?

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i was told they were tumblers do they look like tumblers to any1 else? Just to be sure?

Mike

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Hi MIKE 88, First do you have a loft or are you birds housed in a small cage like I saw in the last post? You put perches right over their food and grit not a smart thing, as they now can poop into their food.Put the food on the other side of the cage.Now I must ask are these birds in your house? Show us your set up. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi george the birds are in a cage but is a good size for the 1 pair i have, they are in my yard not in my house.i dont have room for a loft:( i want one but theirs no chance!

Mike

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
they are pretty, I think you will have better luck with these, not sure what kind of tumbler they are. now, not sure where you live but they can not stay in that cage in the outdoors, snakes, mice, can get in that cage, a cat can reach through and claw them..if that was in the house or even a garage it would be better, and wheel them out on nice days, not sure your location but in the winter...not!... If you want to keep them in your back yard they really need a better set up like a rabbit hutch with an aviary or something like that, it would not take up that much room for just two birds. being outdoor they really need solid wall to get away from drafts and rain. And the pick pots and the food bowls just can't stay poopie like that, it is asking for sickness. a coverd feeder and grit bowl will be needed, they sell them at the pigeon sites for cheap, the water can be put in a gallon milk jug with a hole cut out of the side big enough so they can put their head in and drink, you may want to ask the person you bought them from what breed of tumblers these are as well.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Thanks they are pretty i like them:) so what kind of training do i start with?

Mike
I really think you need to get your set up in check before any training goes on, it really is the most important thing to do for them right now. but you can start the feed call now when you feed them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok i'll do that today, so all put aside and when the birds start traing is their any reason y i couln't fly these birds?

Mike

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
is there anyone in the uk that could help me out with a few quesstion i have? maybe a phone number that i can give someone a call thaat could help me out?

Mike

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
is there anyone in the uk that could help me out with a few quesstion i have? maybe a phone number that i can give someone a call thaat could help me out?

Mike
tumblers can be settled to your house, but they really need a better setup if keeping outside. Did you not ask the person that sold them to you anything? what kind of tumbler? how to train? what they were eating Etc........

1 - 20 of 21 Posts