Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

My parrots freaked while they were hanging out at the living room window today....usually that means they spotted a hawk.

I went outside on the sidewalk immediately...looked around...saw a few pidgies high, high up in the sky...then saw some pigeonfeathers descending from the neighbor's tree. I walked around the tree and saw it moving near the top.....

In it was a HUGE hawk....not sure if it was a redtail...I have seen many a redtail and this seemed larger....

I threw a rolled up newspaper at it and it left the tree but hung out on the adjacent rooftops. I tossed tennis balls at it, but it stayed put....so I figured either it had made a kill and it wasn't gonna leave it in the tree...or it had missed the kill but was still looking for it.

So, I sat oustide for a bit and played the waiting game with it. It left about 8 minutes later.

Took me a while to scope the tree, and I spotted a young adolsecent perched about 20' up. At first he looked OK but in shock. I pulled out some binocs, and then I could see he has a small laceration on his lower chest, size of a dime or less...and when I went around the other side I could see he has a larger laceration at the top of his left leg as well as other scrapes, etc. on the leg. That area appears to be an open wound where the leg meets the body. Not bleeding profusely, not horribly torn or very large (maybe about an inch to an inch-1/2 long by 1/8" wide) from what I can see....but an open wound nonethleless. I would say from what I can see the extent of the injuries seems not too bad. Will try to post a pic, although probably not today....

So...he is up there, perched in a reasonably safe place....under the tree canopy and invisible from above. It appears he can fly...wings and head look OK. He's just in shock, eyes close a bit, and fluffing sometimes.

I have an extension ladder and can get close to his location...I can fashion a catch-net out of an old 20" diameter drum hoop and some soccer goal nets I have here, along with a pole.

What do I do ?

My recollection is, after sunset and shining a light in a pigeon's eyes is the best chance to catch him. I would say he is flighted, but also at this point appears in no rush to move. Am hoping he won't move come dusk.

Am figuring any attempt to get him in daylight in such a location where he can pretty easily fly away is not a high-percentage option.

Ack...help....

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Not good. Don't know what to tell you--he might try flying back home, wherever home is, later this evening. It's always spooky when dealing with hawk wounds because the worst ones usually don't show--like a puncture that goes into the internal organs. Best of luck.

Pidgey

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You're right. You need to wait until after dark. Other than that there isn't anything you can do except watch and wait for another opportunity to present itself.
Good luck. I'll be thinking positive thoughts.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well ...it's been several hours and he's still up there, same spot. Doesn't look any worse...he seems to be perching on both feet.

My hope is he won't fly back home for night....

It has been suggested that by feeding the others he may come down for food, then I can get him that way.

I dunno if I should do that today....because feeding the others means the others will hang around....and the hawk was here....

Basically...I guess I don't have a bunch of choices....can't try to get him in daylight....if he flies away at dusk then all I can hope is to see him tom'w....
if he stays there for the night then likelihood is he will be there tom'w....

so I can either go for a catch tonight...or just keep an eye on him and see how he is doing should he choose to stay there....

keeping in mind that if he is fortunate enough to stay, I may have to make a try within the next 2-3 days (so I can get him on meds) if he seems to be deteriorating...

(unless anyone thinks there is an absolute immediacy to get him ASAP...and if so, please say so....in which case I can try...but if I miss now and he flies off, that'd be it....and I am speculating he CAN indeed fly)

very frustrating and prickly.....

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I think you have a better chance of catching him when it gets dark. Just make sure the hawk doesn't come back in the meantime.

Reti

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just gave a quick feeding on the sidewalk underneath him...about 5 pidgies came. he showed interest, almost looked like he would come down but didn't. He did flap and walk around the branches a bit; both wings opened and flapped...he seemed intent on what was going on below....he clearly is walking and perching on 2 feet w/no sign of favoring the right leg ...

So...what's the deal with night/darkness ? I know they don't like taking flight in the dark...but do you think darkness/night would 'freeze" him in place enough where I can actually try for a grab ...particularly if I placed a ladder within about 3 or 4 feet of him ??? or is a net on a long rod better ???

Is it typical that nightfall allows one to get so close to a feral without them fleeing?

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Depends on how black it is. When I've got one that I want to get out of a tree in my back yard, I kill the power to our security light first and then it gets pretty doggone dark. Otherwise, they're liable to fly. Some are far more capable of doing it than others--some really freeze up pretty solid in even mild dark.

Pidgey

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Just wanted to say good luck in catching him. Hopefully the dark will keep him there until you can snag him.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well.....

...We tried to bring him in last night at about 11PM. Got a 24' extension ladder, fashioned a 20" diameter catch net, and took a hi-beam flashlight.

....he was still in the same place. My sis-in-law shined the light at the bird while myself and my GF positioned the ladder about 6' away from him. We didn't get very far...moment the laddertop touched the branch he took flight...first downward, then upward to my next-door neighbors roof at the second floor level.

He moved quite well, as far as flying and navigating to the roof, then walked along the roof for a bit before settling down. So, his wings are good, his legs are good, and he certainly was alert. He settled down up there and I checked on him several times before going to bed before 1AM. The roof is a place where many pidgies congregate during the day, so it wasn't a bad spot to land.

At 5:30 AM, I went out to check again. Figured he would have hunkered down for the night and expected to see him there, but he was gone. This was before sunrise, but there was such a shroud of usual fog that the night sky was pretty light...also aided by the streetlight close by. Didn't expect him to have moved at night, but he did.

Took out my flashlight and did a search of the neighboring houses up and down the block....thinking that he had maybe fallen or worse. No sign of him or anything like that. Checked under cars, under bushes, in driveways, etc.

Have been looking in tree again this morning...he doesn't appear to be there....

So....we took a decent shot, but he was wily and strong enough to evade us (rather easily) and he's gone off.....hopefully to somewhere he feels secure amongst familiar faces....

Always the challenge in trying to bring in a pidge who is fully flighted...and was quite high up as well.....

So, he knows where the food is during the day and knows where some of the flocks hang....so am hoping I'll see him again...and hoping that his injuries may have been more of the feather-pulling related kind.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Thank for trying. Seems like he is strong enough and can move around well.
If no infection sets in he should be fine.

Reti

1 - 10 of 10 Posts