Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pigeon who had got stitches on the skin at the back of neck. During the initial days, the wound seemed to be healing fine. The removal of stitches was deferred twice and finally opened on the 12th day by the VET. However, as can be seen in the photo below (which was taken after rinsing with diluted povidone iodine) the upper end of the skin started breaking off off from the stitches (before they were removed) and developed a thick scar like tissue on the edge. The bottom edge of the skin seemed to heal just fine. There looks like another layer of skin (or something) growing from underneath the upper thickened edge of the skin. Ignore the red color as this comes from some spray or paste that the VET applied after removing stitches. I am at a loss as to what is going on here and what measures to take to enable the cavity to close on its own. I am not sure how the two edges of the skin will join together. The VET says to leave it as it is. Just to highlight that veterinary services in my area are not that advanced and that is why seeking advice on this forum. I am already putting antibiotic ointment daily and have restarted oral augmentin.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I had a pigeon with a wound on the (fleshy part of the) tail and it developped some sort of yellow stuff similar with what appear in your photo. Proved to be some bacterial infection, as passed after antibiotic injections.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
still awaiting feedback from people who have experience in wound healing. I want to know how will this wound heal ? Is the skin growing underneath cover the cavity ? and if yes what will happen to the upper thickened 'lip' of skin ?

Also as I mentioned I restarted Augmentin (Clavamox). Should I continue it or stop after 5 days of treatment ? He had already been treated with Augmentin for 9 days earlier. I am also applying Silver sulfadizine daily.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts