Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've got now 28 birds in our loft. The most recent additions have been there for almost 2 weeks now. Last night one of our hens was acting really lethargic and sat around all puffed up. She let me walk right up to her and pet her before taking off, which is really unusual for these birds. My dad went out to the coop this morning (it's at his house) to check on the birds and make sure they had enough food and water before heading to work. He found the hen dead and another showing the same symptoms. Any advice on treating the birds, preventing further losses, or what could be causing this? Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Doesn't give anyone much to go on.

Isolate any sick ones - put them in a cage or separate box lined with paper so you can check their poops. Look for any other symptoms besides just being lethargic. Check if they are seriously under weight (with a digital scale). Was the hen due to lay or had she laid recently?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She laid either yesterday morning or late the night before, but then essentially abandoned her egg. I went out last night around 9 to check on them and the egg was cold.

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Well, that could just be because they don't start serious incubation until the second egg (if there's going to be one).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm... I'm gonna put some ACV in their water tonight and see if that helps any.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hmm... I'm gonna put some ACV in their water tonight and see if that helps any.
Something may be going on much beyond what ACV will help with. As John mentioned, isolate any birds showing illness, what so you have on hand in the way of meds? I would also, for now, disinfect the area where this hen spent most of her time, scrape and clean things and disinfect with a 1:9 bleach/water solution (1 part bleach to 9 parts water, it off gases so make sure none of the other birds breath any fumes). Throw out all food in any common dishes she had access to, water as well, and disinfect with the solution.

Karyn

·
Registered
293 Posts
Randidazole for canker or Sulmet or Parastop for cocci and para . Was the bird light ? I just went through this . Isolate , and do a flock treatment , Global Pigeons has all .

Kathy

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Randidazole for canker or Sulmet or Parastop for cocci and para . Was the bird light ? I just went through this . Isolate , and do a flock treatment , Global Pigeons has all .

Kathy
It's Parastop for bacteria such as salmonella, e-coli and Sulmet for coccidia.

http://www.globalpigeon.com/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We acquired all the birds within 3 weeks time from 3 different lofts. The one that died and the one that is sick are from the same loft and are/were both hens. I don't have any meds on hand other than the acv since I didn't anticipate a problem with them this soon, although I should have been prepared for it. The other birds that we have from the other lofts are doing fine. They haven't shown any signs of being sick. Just these two hens. The one that is sick was sick last night as well. I thought that that was the one my dad had said died but it was a different one. This one had one egg she abandoned. I think they're related. Would being egg bound cause this and can they be genetically predisposed to getting egg bound?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Can you post up a photo of the ill hen and a photo of any fresh droppings, does it feel like she is swollen or distended in the abdomen/vent area? how is her breathing, how many breaths a minute, in/out or up/down count as one breath. Do you have a vet you can go to tomorrow or a way of getting meds if needed? If it was just one bird ill, I might be more inclined to be think that may be limited to just that particular bird, two ill at the same time, from the same source, I find to be suspicious.

Karyn

·
Registered
293 Posts
Karyn ,
I lost two , while I was treating one had another go down , lost both; I had two fantastic people on here help me get the right medicines and much support . Charis and Jay3 , I still give Kudos to!!!! Although all are well know , learned a lot in a few days .

·
Registered
293 Posts
please tell if this was a calcium defenciency so all will know...and it is not a hidded from the rest.
Crushed oyster shell grit and a good pellet should cover their calcium needs am I correct ? I use red grit too .

·
Registered
293 Posts
yes , I have been , I was just asking a general question , I thought you were talking to the poster that thought his bird may be egg bound or something to that effect .

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
yes , I have been , I was just asking a general question , I thought you were talking to the poster that thought his bird may be egg bound or something to that effect .
recent additons could be calcium deficent.... which can cause egg bound and kill a hen...........................

1 - 17 of 17 Posts