Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a pigeon who was hiding in a corner of a building and not moving away from people. They were shivering, as I live in Toronto and winter is coming on. It looks like there is something wrong with one of the wings, as the long flight feathers are not present on that one.
Bird Building Road surface Beak Stock dove
[Image Description: A pigeon tucked into a corner of a building outdoors. The wing closer to the camera appears to be missing the long primary feathers.]
We brought them inside to keep them safe and warm, and they did not struggle or try to escape at all when I initially scooped them up with a shirt. We are currently calling them Xavier. Currently I've set them up in a box with some food and water that has a pinch of salt and sugar in it. I've also been keeping a shirt draped over the box to keep it dark and calm. I can see that there is clearly something wrong with the wing, but don't know if it is clipped, or broken or something else. Can anybody help me with this?
Bird Leg Beak Stock dove Wood
Leg Sleeve Wood Grey Snout

[Image Description: Two pictures of the same pigeon inside of a cardboard box. There is a shirt in one end. There is food scattered on the floor and a container of water in the corner.

I've never rescued a pigeon or even had a pet bird before, so I am not sure how to go about this. Ideally I would like to be able to release Xavier back into the wild. I also already have plans to be away from Toronto to visit my family during the holidays in a bit more than a week, and I can't cancel those plans, but I don't think that Xavier can fend on their own currently. Does anybody have any recommendations or know someone who could care for them?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Give him some pigeon seed and water with nothing in it everyday, pick him up and try to examine his injury,
if he's sick give the proper medication for a pigeon. keep him in a safe and quite place until he recovers.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Can you get a picture of their droppings?

can you also get a picture of their wing outstretched? We could determine whether it's clipped. If it's clipped then Xavier is probably an escaped pet.

Xavier will most likely not fly until their feathers grow back, which could take a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
If you are on FB, join the Palomacy rescue group for pigeons and doves and put up a post. There might be a member closeby that can take him in. I think there's a rescue group for Canada on FB as well.

Put down a wildbirdseed mixture for him in a small bowl.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you get a picture of their droppings?

can you also get a picture of their wing outstretched? We could determine whether it's clipped. If it's clipped then Xavier is probably an escaped pet.

Xavier will most likely not fly until their feathers grow back, which could take a couple of weeks.
Okay, as an update, here are their droppings:
Wood Road surface Asphalt Floor Flooring
Fluid Wood Beach Concrete Sand

They have been eating, and moving about. Xavier perked up after warming up, so that seems good.
I got a picture of the wing from above and below. The gap where there should be feathers is pretty obvious when the wing is stretched out. There doesn't seem to be any remnants of the long flight feathers, so I think they have been pulled out instead of cut. There does seem to be a small fringe of brown dried blood on the edge of the feathers, but I am not sure. I don't think any bones are broken, at least not at the base of the wing, but maybe further out? (One of the pictures got flagged, but it is just the wing underneath.)
Petal Gesture Icicle Feather Plant
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Jaw Wood Tints and shades Wing Natural material

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are on FB, join the Palomacy rescue group for pigeons and doves and put up a post. There might be a member closeby that can take him in. I think there's a rescue group for Canada on FB as well.

Put down a wildbirdseed mixture for him in a small bowl.
I have reached out to two FB groups now, (one of them Palomacy) and am now waiting for a response. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
His droppings are perfect. Can't you take him with you? You just need a small cage for housing him. The feathers will eventually regrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
His droppings are perfect. Can't you take him with you? You just need a small cage for housing him. The feathers will eventually regrow.
Sorry for the late reply. I am getting on a plane that does not allow birds without a vet certificate of health, and there are cats in the house I am going to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, as an update, I got in touch with the Toronto Wildlife Center and they agreed to take him in during his recovery time. They seemed really positive about his outlook on intake, and will give me an update once they have properly assessed him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts