Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there. This past week we had really bad storms and my sister found an adult pigeon outside after it rained. I'm not sure what's wrong with him.
He can flap his wings and his legs seems fine but he can't fly or walk. He stumbles around when he's on the ground. I don't think it's a broken leg because there's no signs of curling toes or any of that. There's also no signs of any wounds or any bleeding
He's eating some bird seeds and drinking water fine and has been pooping. So that's a good sign. He's currently in a basket with a lid. It's full of holes so he can breath, he has fresh water and food and a blanket for warmth.

I can't afford the vet roght now and there's no one able to rescue him. Can anyone maybe help? Is it possible for them to have a concussion?
He's doing way better than he was 3 days ago.
It's an African Olive pigeon if anyone's wondering
Bird Accipitridae Falcon Grey Beak

Update: his droppings is a beige colour and very watery

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Hi, welcome to PT and thanks for helping him!

Yes, even pigeons can suffer from a head trauma/concussion (for example, think about a bird who crashed against a window or about a bird hit by a car). Recovery depends on the severity of the blow, it could take a few days or a long time.
Here are two links about concussion in birds and a general one about head trauma in pets, you can find there many useful info, they could even help you to understand if he could really have a concussion:

Years ago my vet explained me the following test (see the pics), it helps to understand if a leg is broken:

- take your bird and gently turn him upside down;

- put your finger in the centre of the sole of the foot and exert a light pressure.

If the bird grips your finger with his fingers everything should be ok. This way you can even understand his grip strength.

Could you get a bird vitamin supplement? If yes you could add it to his drinking water, he will benefit from it.

One of our members, Marina B, is located in South Africa. She could maybe be able to help you somehow.

Keep us updated.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update on the pigeon..

He sadly passed away.
Later this afternoon i noticed blood in his droppings and his breathing was heavy, he opened and closed his mouth while breathing and didn't want to eat anything. He was still drinking water.

He's in a bettter place now i believe and won't suffer anymore

1 - 10 of 10 Posts