Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi dear members i m in a trouble i need your help ,support and advices on a crucial matter.
the problem is i live in santa clarita, ca,U.S. plum cyn.

#1.)i'v talked to the HOA they said they as long as i have my pigeons out of other's property and as long as they dont make any noise i m fine to keep them .i also stated tht i will b having a big cage 20x14x7 ft. they said yes thts fine .

#2) talked to the city hall they said i can have 3 or 4 birds in 100 sq. ft. space and i got more than 3000 sq. ft.

#3) animal control said as long as they r being taken cared of u r good.

now this guy whos backyards behind mine is saying tht i cant build a house like that, i need to pass flyers to get approved.cudnt get him to understnd tht there arent ferrals they r homers. he kept saying that these r rats with wings

so i m kinda scared now though i own the house .what do u think ???is there any way out for me or to have pigeons ?my loft is 24x8x7 ft. is there any kinda permit i need to get? or what other choice do i have?
there is no way i can live without pigeons.

waiting for your reply.
thnx
airdrawndagger

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
The HOA said ok and animal control said ok. First thing monday go to City Hall and get a builing permit. Then see if you can invite your neibors over for burgers and a beer, or tea, ahow them your birds and your plan. Maybe your next door neiborswill help convince the guy behind you that it will be ok. Maybe you should go for steak and wine, It helps to butter them up some.
Dave

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Here's what you wanna do...Pete-Dave is on the right track, but you can get more specific and focused.

First, visit your Zoning or Planning dept. Tell them that ACC said it's OK as far as they are concerned and it is within their applicable codes; city hall said the same.

Ask Planning/Zoning if there is anything against building a Bird Enclosure in your yard. Or if there are any reqt's regarding setbacks from property lines and such. They may ask you for the dimensions of the Enclosure (don't call it a loft, don't call it a house). Probably OK to call it a Coop, or a Shed, too.

Here is what I am gonna guess, living in CA also: most Zoning ordinances allow for "accessory structures"...things such as tool sheds, gazebos, covered trellises, lean-to's, doghouses, mechanical/hvac sheds, etc. These usually do not have to conform to what is considered a "building"....so they usually can be placed anywhere in your yard. So I think you will be OK.

Then go to Building Dept, and ask them if there is any permitting process required to build your coop/enclosure...whether or not it even falls under the Building Code.
Around here, no permit is required for such yard structures.....the reason being quite simple: accessory buildings aren't inhabited by humans, so as long as the use (a big cage for pets, really is what it is) is not prohibited, there is no need for building life-safety codes to apply.

Get that info, come back here and post what they say.

Fair enuff to say that the town/city ain't gonna forbid you from keeping your pigeons. Worst-case scenario would be they set a limit on the #. I wouldn't lose sleep over this...but I would agree that it's best to C.Y.A. Then the next time the neighbor brings it up, lower the boom on him if necessary (nicely...or not...)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
#2) talked to the city hall they said i can have 3 or 4 birds in 100 sq. ft. space and i got more than 3000 sq. ft.
3 or 4 birds in 100sq. ft? Did you mean to say 30 or 40? a A 20x14 loft you is 280 sq. ft. You could keep at the very most 140 birds. You want to give the birds atleast 2sq. ft of ground space each.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh its this santa clarita city hall so they got their rule i guess.. but they said that about a backyard lot however i got more than 3000sq.ft. maths say i can keep atleast 90. :) but the main concern now is about building the loft i spent half of my savings and as a student i dont have much of a savings u know lol...i'll try post pics so u can c clearly .

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's what you wanna do...Pete is on the right track, but you can get more specific.

First, visit your Zoning or Planning dept. Tell them that all other dept's have said it's OK as far as they are concerned and it is within their applicable codes.

Ask planning/Zoning if there is anything against building a Bird Enclosure in your yard. or if there are any reqt's regarding setbacks from property lines and such. They may ask you for the dimensions of the Enclosure. (don't call it a loft, don't call it a shed). Probably OK to call it a Coop, too.

Here is what I am gonna guess, living in CA also: most Zoning ordinances allow for "accessory structures"...things such as tool sheds, gazebos, covered trellises, lean-to's, etc. These usually do not have to conform to what is considered a "building"....so they usually can be placed anywhere in your yard. So I think you will be OK.

Then go to Building Dept, and ask them if there is any permitting process required to build your coop/enclosure...or if it doesn't fall under the Building Code. Around here, no permit is required for such yard structures.....

Get that info, come back here and post what they say.

Fair enuff to say that the town/city ain't gonna forbid you from keeping your pigeons. Worst-case scenario would be they set a limit on the #. I wouldn't lose sleep over this...but I would agree that it's best to C.Y.A. Then the next time the neighbor brings it up, lower the boom on him if (nicely...or not...)
thnx jaye i feel a lot better now i'll do that asap thoug they might b closed on monday,but i m getting my confidence back from u guys. :D there aint no way i m gonna breath with out my birds.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I still think you should have a BBQ and try to win over the rest of your neibors. Lets try nice first.
Dave

Then the next time the neighbor brings it up, lower the boom on him if (nicely...or not...)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hahaahahaha !! i will try that but its gonna b hard to convince em to come over cos i just know 2 of my neighbours and they proly know no one ppl r realy bz to even say hi. but i'll give it a shot. thnx for ur advices. my club president is comin over tomorrow to have a talk with em lets c if we can convince him .

·
Registered
95 Posts
tell the guy they are not flying rats, thats from some stupid comment from a woodie allen movie back around 1970 . they do not carry desease . the pest control companies
want every one to think they do so they will have repeate business . i do not know about any permits , but i always like to beg for forgiveness then to ask for permission . personally i would build it sounds like you asked all the right people . sometimes neighbors can be a pain. i have always found that once you start letting then tell you what to do it seems its never enough . hope it works out please kep us up dated good luck

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya i know i got offended by that and i m all about performance that rat word would'v made a pigeon lover beat the crap outta him.and i mean there r swallows who poop all over and these ignorant ppl wount understnd i tried to tell him about my racers he doesnt care.
lets c how it goes if he complains or not. thnx shadowoak.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
...I'd just barbecue the neighbor.....

Just a word of advice...it would be nice to keep things amicable...but if there's no convincing, then don't waste your time any longer. Once you confirm the legality of it, you have taken the high road and it's the end of the issue. You are in the right, and your neighbors can either decide to harp on it and waste their energy being upset over something which is completely legit (which will resolve nothing and just make them miserable), or just accept that neighbors need to act like...neighbors.

So far you have taken all of the correct steps. Just get the info from Zoning and Building, and you are good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well guys he complained and i got a letter from the hoa they said i cant build something higher than the wall i need to let em know what i m making/building including all the details even the colour lol...and so here we go gotta talk to the hoa and let them know might have to break it down and build along the walls .thnx for your advices though.i appreciate it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i once had a neighbor complain to me about the smell of my horses , the problem was i told him was that horses had not been there for almost two yrs . he just saw saw the corrals and figured he would complain . complain now smell later i told him . i try to get along with my neighbors . i really do but sometimes you just cannot chase your tail around . it just gets worse . i now live in a neighborhood and 2 ac. lots and you are alowed five horses . by the city an d the ccrs . and we we still have people buy homes move in and then start complaiming about the horses . i just got my pigeons have had no complaints yet but im sure after someone sees them some one will complain . just to gain somekind of satisfaction of controlling something or somebody .

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Well I guess nice guys finish last. Does he have a dog? if so I would call the police about 3 am and complain of a barking dog. Find the rules for the HOA and make sure he follows every one of them.
Dave

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I guess nice guys finish last. Does he have a dog? if so I would call the police about 3 am and complain of a barking dog. Find the rules for the HOA and make sure he follows every one of them.
Dave
ahhahaha he doeas have a dog and i will do what u said.

·
Registered
812 Posts
airdrawndragger,
i suggest to just keep it cool and be low profile to your neighbor because sooner or later your birds will go to his property.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I don't understand this latest news.

You said you already had spoken to the association and had given them your dimensions.... and they said it was OK.

So...what's all this, then ?

"build along the walls"...you said your height is 7', yes ????

I would actually ask the association (nicely) for their bylaws which specifies this; specifically, where does it say an accessory/yard structure has to meet the guidelines of a habitable structure ? Have other people who have erected accessory structures (tool sheds, etc) also had to meet the guidelines they are telling you to comply to, and also had to go through this rigamarole from the association ??? (which, BTW, carries no legal jurisdiction over building and zoning codes).

If it is written in the assoc's bylaws, and has been applied equally among all residents...it's one thing...BUT if it is just something capricious which someone there came up with...it's another.

If the use is not prohibited (which it likely is not) and the zoning code does not prohibit its projected size or siting....then the association is overstepping its legal bounds.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts