Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dear members i m trying to start breeding tipplers in ca U.S.A. but I don't have any idea about how to get or build a loft.If any one could please help me out here with any kind of information ,i will b grateful.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I agree with Ed, Redrose loft has one of this step by step instruction on how to build a starter loft, it doesn'y matter if you don't have any carpentry experience just follow the steps and you should have a great strong loft.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You can buy one of those storage sheds at Lowes or Home Depot and convert it.;)
Yes. Actually that's a great idea. Start with one of those, and add the ventilation holes, and windows, and pretty much whatever you want to it. There are so many styles and shapes and sizes. Look at them and before you buy, try to figure out where you would put what, and what size you would need. Easy.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Go to your local moving company and get a used shipping crate.. They are around 48" wide, 7' long and 7' tall.. Most companies give them away, or sell them real cheap...

Then add on a fly pen and your set.. This loft is made starting with one of them...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@ tim and m krups that loft looks good shipping crates will definately do the job.but I was thinking about getting a room or kinda like a storage room u see on ppls back yeard and then put houses inside them that way it'll prevent them from cold and heat.what do u guys think about them? and plus save em from those damn coyotes too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
but labour cost is it too much here so i donno how it'll b possible for me to make one of them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
and one more question what do you guys use for heating the loft? and to get rid of those flys/insects tht live on the pigeons?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Here in the Northeast where the temperature can range from zero to one hundred over the course of a year, pigeons do not need any heating or air conditioning in the loft. Good ventilation is a must though.

Hugh

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'm in New England and I heat mine, but most people don't. You can buy permethrin dips and sprays online at pigeon supply places, or you can buy 5 % sevin garden dust, or permethrin dust at hardware or grain places to dust the birds with. It works good for the bugs, just don't get it near their head. Don't want to get it into their eyes, and don't want them to breath it in.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I converted an old garden shed -

I'm in Maine so it goes below 0 in the winter and 90's in the summer.
I don't have heat in the loft, I cover the flight cage with plastic for the winter months and roll up one side on sunny days.
In the summer I open it right up - open windows (covered with mesh) and screened flight cage.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh nice.....now thts wat i m talkin about.....i want one just like tht.now where can i get me one of those.....

thnx msfreebird.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
oh nice.....now thts wat i m talkin about.....i want one just like tht.now where can i get me one of those.....

thnx msfreebird.
The shed I have is about 75 years old! For the past 30 years I've moved it every time I moved. But you can buy sheds like everybody said at Home Depot or Lowes. Home Depot also has shed "kits", they are 1/4 of the price and you have to assemble them. Everything is precut with instructions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts