Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked about this a couple weeks ago and I need to be road training my 4 birds that I got in July as squeakers. They are let out to fly a couple times a week as I am not home much. I plan on being home for 3 weeks working on my house. It may turn out to be the whole month of Dec.. I live on a mountain top. I have about an acre of cleared ground behind the house. My loft is against the woods with the trap side facing the feild. Every direction is down hill from my home. I do not have any birds to loose even though I know it can and will happen eventually. I have already released them from the far side of the feild. They never go to the loft but fly for awhile before going into the loft and from my reading this is normal. Most of the reading I have done says to release them from 5 miles next. The problem is there is no release sites once I get past 1/4 mile until I get 7 miles from the house and that is next to a golf course and it could be a problem as I have not talked to them just the owner of the property. I have been meaning to use a GPS(sisters) to get straight line milage. But does acres of wooded mountain side give the pigeons a problem? Also does a sudden drop in elevation cause problems in pigeons like our ears popping as the mountain is steep and my ears always stop up until they pop.?

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
for one you said the loft is near the woods. NOW this time of year AWKS are thick and close to the trees they can hide and attack the birds. NOW road training them. Start at 1 mile. And try to find a clear area as hawks might be near by and the birds need to get up before any attack. Up hill down hill if they are good they get home. You might just consider loft flying them until spring If you see many hawks And even then with woods and tree near by the old hawk just may get one or more. So you have to keep an open eye.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts