Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advise from u lovely people . My hand reared 1 yearold birminghan roller girl pigeon is very bonded to me and is such a sweet girl who lives with me indoors . Well shehas started laying eggs and has now layed 3 over the last 2 weeks what do i do now ? Will she stop or carry on ? Is this harming her to keep producing eggs. First two she just layed on my lap but the last one was in a nest in her house . Any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Your bird probably views you as her mate, and is laying eggs for you. I hope you put the other eggs from your lap, into her nest. she will probably want to sit on them for a few weeks to try and hatch them. Then she will give up and start over. Yes, eventually she can deplete herself of calcium, which can cause her a lot of problems. You need to make sure she has enough calcium in her diet. Does she get oyster shell along with her grit? You can buy calcium supplements with vitamin D3 in them to mix a couple of times a week into her drinking water. Also, if she doesn't get enough vitamin D3, then she can't use the calcium she gets. She needs to get outside into the sunshine, in a safe enclosure. The rays of the sun give her the vitaminD3 she needs in order to utilize any calcium she gets. Also, like I have mentioned, you can buy a supplement. I use CalciBoost. Same thing as CalciVet that I believe you can get over there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts