Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had 3 stock birds die suddenly, and 2 more go ill. they have very wet droppings and are drinking the fountain dry. can anyone advise me please? not all birds have the wet droppings but the birds have died suddenly..

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Most probably is canker. These droppings, do they smell badly, do your birds eat, do they fluff, please give bit more information.
Describe where you keep birds, are they together or separated, do they have contact with wild birds, what do you feed them, is food good quality?
Understand that several diseases do have same or similar symptoms, the more information you provide, better are chances to find real cause.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi They Are Raceing Pigeons, But Stock Birds. Droppings Dont Smell,all The Stock Are Kept Together , They Have Been Vaccinated. Also They Are Treated For Canker Every 6wks So Dont Know What To Think..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
forgot to say no wild birds are in contact with them and they eat as normal but have noticed they are drinking a lot of water..

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Ok let's try system of elimination with information on hand:
Hexamitiasis - not likely,
Coccidiosis - possible,
Worms - any treatment recently,
Adeno virus YBD - most likely???

I would start with broad spectrum antibiotic, maybe combination, separating birds, immune system boost.
What is the color of faeces anything else that you may noticed?
Mice, rats possibility???

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
have you looked at pmv, some strains can kill quick, vaccination is ineffective against the disease once the pigeon is in the stages of incuabation of the virus. drinking alot of water is one of the symptoms, but that would explain the watery feces if they are drinking alot of water, which is another symptom (watery feces) It can be spread as airborne, fancier borne, or contact, so stock birds are not free from the risks.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
have you looked at pmv, some strains can kill quick, vaccination is ineffective
PMV is also an option, usually there are nervous symptoms though. Picture of the droppings will be helpful to recognize PMV. They are very specific. Thin formed but broken faecal material (any colour without white) in a puddle of water.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Don't rule out canker yet! I have a hen who had bad case of canker, resistant to allmost every known drug, only a week after profilactical treatment. This particular case still brings me nightmares.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I would use in addition carnidazole for canker and some immune booster.
For Adenovirus:
Sick pigeons can be treated with Adenosan, Adenocide and Nifradex.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts