Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, need help please with a pigeon found in my yard two days ago. The bird was eating at my feeder but was very weak and puffed up. I was able to get a hold of her later that evening. Brought the bird in isolated her and gave her warmth, food and unflavored pedialyte. Saw the bird eating (only the very small seeds) yesterday weighed her last night she was 300 gr. The bird's breast bone is very sharp, she also stumbles at times when attempting to walk. Her poops are not badly formed, they are a pea green colour. Have seen her when resting slowly move her head back and forth. Called my vet this morning he is away until Mon. Anyone have any thoughts? I have a few meds. some are over the expiration date. Cannot notice anything abnormal on her body, whatever it is seems to be causing slight neurological issues. She's such a pretty bird, really want to help!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have baytril tablets, metronidazole liquid, sulmet liquid, worm out gel and I think some sulmet tablets. Don't have large quantities of any of them, the metronidazole is a couple months past expiry. The sulmet and worm out gel are also older medicines. Hope I have something here to get her through the weekend!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for rescuing this bird.

Have you looked down the birds throat, do you see any odd yellow lesions?

She will need to be hand fed, but keep her warm and hydrated for now.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not see any lesions around the tongue area, need to look further down, she's not making it easy. Would her eating small seeds be a sign of canker?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Handfeed her lukewarm thawed peas and corn - lots ! 40-50 pcs\day maybe divided into 4-6 feedings\day. Take it slow at first - she's weak and you don't wanna force the issue and overstress her - but she needs serious nourishment FAST. A baytril\metro combo would be a good guess at medication - if only a few months past the Metro may still have some use left and the Baytril's still good, you say.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trying to feed her as we speak, the metro is a month and a half past expiry. The baytril is older, they are pills not liquid. Safe to combine to two?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hi Vesna,

Thanks for helping out this little one.

At 300 grams, and since you mention her keel bone in a little sharp, I would say she is underweight (for some smaller hens this weight could in a "normal" range), but not to an area I would consider dangerous, at least not right now. If the meds you have have been well stored, there should really be no problem with them if they are past expiry. I know you said the droppings don't look too bad, how many droppings is she producing and a photo would be nice for us here to have a look at. If need be, do you know how to hand feed if necessary? As for eating small seeds, could this bird be a juvenile, a photo would help with this as well. That this may be a youngster, more than canker, came to mind, from small seed eating, especially since you say from what you can see, her mouth area is clear, but there is the possibility that any canker further down.

Did you go over her well for any injuries/wounds, as they can be hidden well by her feathers, and could easily be overlooked. I would be prone to start her on the Sulmet and metronidazole in combination, as this will cover many infections she could have, including pasturella, coccidiosis, salmonella and canker, plus a number of other possible infections as well. The dose for the Sulmet is 30mg/kg BID (twice a day, every 12 hours) and for the metronidazole there is a large range of dosing for this, but if you go with 50mg/kg QD (once a day) you should be fine until you get her into the vet in a few days.

Good luck with her,

Karyn

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much for the helpful advice. I believe my meds have been stored properly the baytril in a dry cupboard and the metro in the fridge. So stop the baytril and begin with metro and sulmet. I have only fed previously sick birds with baby bird formula in a syringe. She keeps her tail down most of the time. She has a mature ceres and mature feathers with the rainbow effect on her crop area. She has had approx. 15-20 poops in 24hrs. She has taken pedialyte today but no seed. Her poops go from not being too badly formed to slightly more wet. The colour ranges from pea green to a dark mustard/brown colour

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Thank you so much for the helpful advice. I believe my meds have been stored properly the Baytril in a dry cupboard and the metro in the fridge. So stop the Baytril and begin with metro and Sulmet. I have only fed previously sick birds with baby bird formula in a syringe. She keeps her tail down most of the time. She has a mature ceres and mature feathers with the rainbow effect on her crop area. She has had approx. 15-20 poops in 24hrs. She has taken pedialyte today but no seed. Her poops go from not being too badly formed to slightly more wet. The colour ranges from pea green to a dark mustard/brown colour
OK a mature bird. Vesna, I suggested the Sulmet over the Baytril, as the Sulmet will give coverage for coccidiosis and the Baytril will not, but it will give coverage on many of the same bacteria Baytril will cover, although if you did not have the Sulmet, I would have suggested the same combo as Jaye did. Just trying to hit as big a target as possible.

The amount of droppings don't sound too bad, although be prepared to I think supplement her, do you know how to tube feed, or know how to do food "pops" with peas and corn? Gotta run.

Karyn

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Have seen her when resting slowly move her head back and forth.
Moving her head forwards and backwards, or sideways?

I "rescued" a pigeon at Neumarkt several years ago, who moved his head from left to right (imagine a guy trying to loosen a tight necktie by moving his head and stretching his neck a bit. Well ... maybe a good illustration, maybe not).

Anyway, the pigeon died a day or so later. Don't know what the primary problem was, but did an autopsy, and found what appeared to be a couple of undigested, over-fried, French fry potato wedges, points down, lodged in his crop, near the opening to the proventriculus.

My theory: nearby and at this plaza or market place, french fries and other such foods were sold by open air vendors. French fries stuck in crop, caused discomfort, and he was trying to get them to move further on. His keel was sharp, he weighed 200 grams (10-11 ounces) and was severely emaciated. Intestines seemed bloated with fluid.

I don't think this was his primary problem. Maybe coccidiosis was. Don't know.

Maybe feel his crop to see if there is anything hard there.

Link to autopsy pictures: warning: graphic images.

http://picasaweb.google.be/henson.s...PostmortemExam?authkey=Gv1sRgCO-nxK62x7yclAE#

Larry

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the posting Larry. Wanted to give an update, gave the meds to her this eve.(every 12 hrs.) Offered her food and drink she had two big drinks of pedialyte and ate some seed with me holding the dish to her and picking at the seed with my finger. Weighed her this eve. she is still 300gr. Let her out of the cage, she walked around a bit (little unsteady) and keeps her tail down. Thanks again, appreciate all your helpful advice. I'll be checking on her through the night.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello everyone, took my little friend to the Vet today along with another pigeon I'm helping (paralyzed legs). Vet dewormed the bird and we are giving baytril for the next ten days. Wants to see if it may be an inner ear infection (bird seems to lean to one side) Her eating and drinking have improved greatly. She has put on 20 gr. over the weekend. Wish I could see some improvement in the pigeon with the paralyzed legs, no change in over a month.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts