Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pigeons just started weezing.. Its like a Sneeze and it just doesnt sound too good.. What type of infection is this and how can I go on about helping my pigeons recover from this?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Any other symptoms?.
This could be the beginning of respiratory infection, and if it is you need to treat asap as it spreads quickly.

Have you introduced any new birds to yours recently or have your birds been in contact with other birds?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any other symptoms?.
This could be the beginning of respiratory infection, and if it is you need to treat asap as it spreads quickly.

Have you introduced any new birds to yours recently or have your birds been in contact with other birds?
I have not introduced any new birds. The only thing I can think of is, maybe new area.? I just recently moved my pigeons to a new location. New loft and everything. There are other pigeons and chickens around, But none have been close enough to drink or share the same food.

What would you recommend as treatment?

Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Could be your new loft? New paint, dust in the air?
Check their nostrils, any discharge? Eyes watery? These are typical signs of respiratory infections. Take each bird in hands and listen how it breathes, any abnormal sounds?
Nighttime when the birds are quiet you can check for weezing, sneezing best. Is it happening or only during the day?
Any changes in poop, water intake, feeding?
Please provide more information before medicating or making conclusions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check their nostrils, any discharge? Eyes watery? These are typical signs of respiratory infections. Take each bird in hands and listen how it breathes, any abnormal sounds?
Nighttime when the birds are quiet you can check for weezing, sneezing best. Is it happening or only during the day?

I will go tonight while they are resting and listen. Ive only heard it on a few birds. No difference in their Stools. Still seems the same. Eyes are not watery as described above. I will check their nostrils later on as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have one new bird with similair symptoms...I've seperated it and need to know what to use to quarentine it before It'll get worst. I just got it and don't even know what breed it is....I'll post pics later. Any help please.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Sneezing alone it may be nothing, but is allways good to stay on the safe side and check for other symptoms. I often get paranoic when my birds show unusual signs.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Watch for other signs of respiratory problems: Watery, increasingly goopy eyes and discharge from the cere. In a sick bird the cere will become discolored, not the usual powdery white. I tend to be paranoid too, but sometimes a sneeze is just a sneeze. My birds sneeze when I clean because I stir up dust in the loft.

If you do have respiratory infection in your loft, I've found APC's Doxy-T is the most effective medication to eradicate it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
weezing/sneezing

My pigeons just started weezing.. Its like a Sneeze and it just doesnt sound too good.. What type of infection is this and how can I go on about helping my pigeons recover from this?

Thanks
i raise exotics,one being homers./.a sneeze i get a yellow flag,,repeated sneezing-red flag,..weezing indicates something you are hearing,-which would be a red flag,..where as i would consider isolating the bird,to watch its behavior,,-these prey animals are real good at hiding illness./.my guess is you need a medicine cabinet with emergency meds./.you probably already guessed upper respiatory problem,-in most most cases observation/behavior- is paramont to their health./.after careful consideration i would use amoxicillin/clavamox-(antibiotic),..sincerely james waller

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
That would be my guess too. Did you build the loft from treated wood?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts