Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A mother pigeon laid 2 eggs on my balcony. I have been watching the birds and taking a picture almost every day. The birds are about 3. Weeks now and today I found one dead. There was blood everywhere on the balcony and when I picked it up it looked like it’s little head had been picked of the feathers but no blood... blood was coming out of his mouth. I had never touched the babies as I have heard mothers won’t feed them after .... I had left some bread crumbs I would see the mother eating. I was gone when it happened so I don’t know if it was the mother or another bird? Want to make sure the one left is protected especially bc it’s much smaller than the one killed. Any suggestions? I still see the mother come by but I havent seen her feed the one left. Also the last pic is the one that was killed it was already walking around. The one left seems smaller and had never walked out from beneath the little table. Please help so sad and worried.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
The mother won't kill her own babies. The nest is quite sheltered, so I doubt another pigeon could have killed the baby Any chance a rat might get to them?

The parents will continue to care and feed the one that is still left. You might not see it happening, but if you check the droppings there should be a lot of firm brown fresh droppings.

Also, don't put out bread. It's not very nutritious for them. Best to do is don't put down food at all. This will only attract more pigeons.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The mother won't kill her own babies. The nest is quite sheltered, so I doubt another pigeon could have killed the baby Any chance a rat might get to them?

The parents will continue to care and feed the one that is still left. You might not see it happening, but if you check the droppings there should be a lot of firm brown fresh droppings.

Also, don't put out bread. It's not very nutritious for them. Best to do is don't put down food at all. This will only attract more pigeons.

Thank you for reply. No there is no way a rat would get in my balcony. There was blood all over the couch as from a fight. I saw that 1st but the bird was fine. Then an hour later when I was not home and came back there was more blood on the floor and the bird was now dead. :/

Attachments

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Then another pigeon must have done it. Did you remove the food? As I said, food will attract more pigeons and they might harm the 1 that is still there. I hope he will be ok. Another thing: the parents won't reject their young if they got handled by humans. That is a myth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes thank you I removed the food and gave it water in a glass container and seems to be drinking it. I have s en the mother and father come by a few times... at least I hope that’s who it is... the baby starts to chirp but doesn’t seem like their hurting it. I have now put my doggie camera w sensor on it to alarm me of movement so if another big bird comes to hurt it I can help! Should I clean up the poop? It’s getting pretty bad and should I buy anything to keep it warm now that it’s all alone at night? I’m by the water in CA it gets in mid to low 60s at night. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
You will see him getting fed. The babies stick their beaks into that of the parents and ate the food that the parents regurgitate (hope that is spelled correct). No need to keep him warm, he is fully feathered and quite sheltered on your balcony. He will soon fledge and start following the parents around. He might return to sleep on your balcony for a while, but will eventually leave when he gets older. Rather wait till he has fledged and then clean the droppings.

Nice view you have!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts