Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

We had a breeding pair of Archangel Pigeons who had babies probably around a month ago. The babies are getting big, healthy, and starting to get their feathers. Just this morning while cleaning their small aviary the mother bird escaped. So now it’s the “teenage” babies who I am worried about. They were still getting fed by the mom, what I am wondering is if anyone can tell me if the dad bird will step in and start feeding them?

Any help is appreciated :)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Young pigeons are normally fed more by the Dad. You sure it was the Mom who is feeding them? Pigeon parents don't usually take off from their babies. Maybe she will come back.
He may continue feeding them on his own. If not you will have to feed them. Can you post a pic of the babies so we can get a better idea of their age?

·
Registered
203 Posts
If it comes down to it, you can easily put some food in the back of their mouth and they will swallow it. I'm currently feeding a Toghie that was a lot younger than those two but he's now older than what those two look. Been feeding him for about 5 weeks now. I'm feeding him the same pigeon mix that the older ones are getting.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
IF you put a small crock of pigeon mix in the nest box. One that can't be tipped over, the babies will learn quickly from watching the parent eat. Of course if you put seed in the box, you will also need to put a crock of water in also, so they can learn to drink after they eat. They do learn quickly from watching the parent bird. Really the easiest way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.