Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm not sure if he's foaming at the mouth, but he's blowing bubbles around his mouth. We just got done feeding him some peas and he started standing and stretching his neck. Is he having trouble swallowing? Breathing? Is this normal? What can I do?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Oh no, I've never heard of a problem like this. Someone who knows about this will help you soon. Good luck.

Kevin

·
Registered
864 Posts
i had a simular case to that, it cant be canker my vet told me it was fungal resp infection, treat it before it gets worst. before it hits her gi track, next thing that will happend she gonna be unable to swallow, or to close her mouth, u wont be able to get any food down her throat. most likely her immune system went got weak either doe to the chills, weather etc.
if it doesnt get better by tomorrow please take the bird to the vet, if it's what i think it is u dont have much time 4-5 days max
good luck yo u and keep me posted please
Goga

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Okay, I'm not sure if he's foaming at the mouth, but he's blowing bubbles around his mouth. We just got done feeding him some peas and he started standing and stretching his neck. Is he having trouble swallowing? Breathing? Is this normal? What can I do?
no it is not normal. he could have a blockage from canker or sour crop or even something else, you need to tell more about the age of the bird and what his dropping look like, his eating and is overall demeanor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My pigeon is young - about 2 months was the vet's best guess. He's currently on antibiotics (SEPTRA?) because he had a very high white blood cell count when I first took him into the vet about 2 weeks ago (he had been attcked by a cat).
He has been eating well up to yesterday when the foaming started. He eats peas and moist puppy chow, very little interest in seeds. His poops are white liquid with brown solids.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This morning he was spitting back a lot of his food, acting aggitated. He is dinking water well.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I would try feeding him "shell free" or "no mess" wild seed and see if he's interested in that. Their small with no hulls.
Put some on the floor or ground and peck at them with your fingers, to show him how to eat. Use your thumb and index finger in a pecking motion, picking them up and dropping them so that he can see you. But also continue with peas and corn. I don't use dog food with pigeons.
It almost sounds like he's got a piece of food stuck in his esophagus.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Poisoning from the Septra? How is this? That is what the vet prescribed. He switched me from Baytril to Septra - and that started about two days ago - the same time these symptoms started. Damn!!!
I have a vet appt in 30 minutes. I will get him some calcium and tell about the Septra.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Not putting your vet down but I would follow Plahemn advice. He works with pigeons everyday and he really knows a lot about them. min

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, back from the vet. She didn't agree with poisoning from the Septra, but said more likely the pigeon didn't like the taste. Seems like the behavior was very extreme for just not liking the flavor. But anyway, no more Septra - back to Baytril. Also got some calcium and have given him a dose. I just finished giving him some peas. There was no foaming, but still aggitation after eating. Maybe still feeling the effects of the Septra? I will watch closely.
Also, the vet recommended giving him "exact" (formula for baby brds) since he has lost some weight. Does anyone have experience with that? I tried giving him some in a dish, but he wasn't too interested - slurped some, but not a lot. I will put some in a syringe and feed him that way. I'm not sure how much - the package says until his crop is full.
I so appreciate everyone's help - THANK YOU.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
does he still have open wounds from the cat attack?? are they infected??
if not i would not see why he still needs to to be on anti biotics at all, 10 days is long enough for a major wound from a cat.
can you post a pic of the little guy??
his crop should feel like a marshmallow when full, they can take more than you think.
i'm thinking he should be treated for canker also

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He no longer has any open wounds from his cat attack. He does have a broken leg that is swollen from infection. The vet initially said to treat with antibiotics for 10 days, but when she got the blood work back, she said he needed another 10 days. I can't find the piece of paper where I wrote the results, but I believe she said a normal pigeon has a white blood cell count of 10,000 whereas his nummber was 150,000. She said he had a septic infection and this would hopefully help in bringing down the infection.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry - I tend to answer one question and then forget the rest.
I have no idea how to post a picture (I'm somewhat of a dinosaur at computers), but I'll ask one of my kids.
What is canker and why do you think he may have it?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Canker is common in pigeons, and with it, the bird can have a bubbly mucous.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
oh okay, poor guy
like jay said it's a common problem with pigeons and can bring them down very quickly, it's very easy to treat, it can really flair up when they are under stress
flagyl works well (from your vet) you can also buy spartix online.
if you look in his mouth do you see and white cheesy looking stuff??
canker or trichomoniasis doesn't always show up in their throats it can be internal

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh no - foaming again tonight. It was right after I gave him a dose of Baytril. Should I stop that also?
When I was at the vet earlier today, I asked about flagyl. She said that is used to treat some infections, but she thought the medicine he was on was better for him. I'm not thinking that's the case. Should I go back tomorrow and get flagyl?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Foaming stopped, and was much less than last night. He ate a few seeds after, but no water. He's sitting down now in his bed area, but his wings are spread out on both sides.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I would stop every antibiotic. You cannot treat bird with one type of antibiotic and switch to another without time to detox. 10 days of baytril is long enough period for candida to emerge. Did your vet gave you Nustatin?
Get coloidal silver, homeopathic gunpowder and activated charcoal from the health shop.
Put ACV in the water. Give him 1 tablet (check the size of activated charcoal - carbo vegetabilis).
After several hours 4~6 use 1 tablet homeopathic gunpowder. And instead of antibiotics 2~3 drops Coloidal silver down the throat.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts