Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Yesterday while walking my dogs my brother saw a pigeon being attaked by a cat in a school field. We managed to shoo the cat off(with help from the dogs) and I managed to climb a fence to get to him.
He flew a short distance off the ground(about 20cm high) but appears to have lost all his tail feathers. He also has a small injury to his left wing-on his shoulder. After looking at him at home, Ive also discovered two larger wounds on both sides of his breast, one about 3cm by 2cm and the other about 4cm by 3cm. I was home alone yesterday and the only thing I could find to wash it with was some Curex antibacterial hand cream! The wounds look like a layer of skin have been removed. Ive put him on a towel wrapped hot water bottle and put down some water and seed.
He's lively and has no broken bones. He was born this year as I can still see a couple of long down feathers poking out of his plumage and he doesnt have all his feathers on hs beak yet.
I work at a vets(work exp) so will be taking him on monday, but in the meantime-what can i do?!
Ill try and post some pictures
Many thanks
XxX

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Hi,

Welcome and well-saved.

What he will need soon as you can arrange it, is antibiotics. Wounds from cats can be and often are fatal for birds. He will need to be on a course of Synulox. Hopefully, starting him on them tomorrow will be in time.

Keep him warm,as you have been doing, and hydrated. Check that he is able to drink the water. If necessary, gently dip his beak into a little pot of water but ensuring it doesn't reach his nostrils. If he seems unable to drink, you can use a small syringe or a dropper to drip water into the front of his beak which he should automatically swallow.

Wounds on pigeons start to scab over quite quickly. Shouldn't be this quick, but don't allow this to happen, since they need to heal from inside. You will, of course, be able to get something like Intrasite gel tomorrow and sterile light gauze.

If he is not eating, then one or other of us can offer suggestions.

You may have already looked at the resources section, and I've no doubt much of this you are already familiar with anyway

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=8822

John

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive dipped his beak in water but he just sits there. He's swallowed once. Ive cleaned his wounds again, do you think it would be better if I clean them with some diluted warm johnsons sensitive baby soap? Or just warm water?
Im also terrified that while im holding him/cleaning him, hes just going to die of shock because Ive had that happen before.He's still lively and unlike yesterday when he just sat on my hand and let me handle him, he's now making an effort to keep away from me, which Im taking as a good sign.
thank you for your prev. quick reply!
XxX

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
I'd just use warm water, without knowing if soaps which may be safe for small humans are safe for small pigeons too.

He won't die from shock. Woodies can die of heart failure if they have to be injected, though. The real danger is the potential infection, but on a Sunday in the UK there isn't anything you can do about antibiotics (unless you have a Pets-At-Home branch which has a vet).

Check his poop, see what color and consistency it is.

Is he showing any interest in food? He may need hand feeding. Small moistened balls of wholemeal bread, or thawed frozen peas (never tinned), or even pea-size bits of dog biscuit soaked until 'fluffy' are a stopgap.

You know your vet, and we don't. PLease ensure the policy is not just to put them to sleep. With the right treatment he has a chance of recovery. If he has wing damage, even then he could probably be found a home.

John

PS Also check inside his mouth is fairly pink and clean looking - no yellow 'growth'. Just a precaution to see if there's any obvious other problem.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hello,

Cats carry pasteurella in their saliva and pigeons can develop pasteurella septicemia very quickly after being cat caught, infected birds usually die within 24 hoours. People used to think that the cat caught birds died of shock, but it was infection.

This is why they need to receive antibiotics as soon as possible, try to get it injected if you go to the vet tomorrow, that will be more effective that giving it synulox orally.

Don't worry about handling the pigeon, they are semi domesticated and I have never known one die of shock. They can recover from terrible injuries and settle readily to captivity if they are unreleasable. In fact, even while recovering they have a disconcerting habit of finding a mate, building a nest and laying eggs. This is why it distresses us so much when a pigeon is euthanased unnecessarily.

Can you tell us where you are? We might know of a sanctuary that has antibiotics available. I suspect that you are in the UK, but could be wrong!

Cynthia

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
A combination of Doxycycline & Metronidazole may be used in place of Synulox
in case you are unable to get the drug of first choice being Synulox/Clavamox/Augmentin.

Please do make sure of any facility policies in advance before signing over an injured or sick pigeon.

fp

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
John_D has just pointed out that it is a wood pigeon. Serves me right for not wearing my glasses and not being alerted when you mentioned the school field! School fields where I live are usually full of woodies but I heve never seen a feral pigeon there.

Woodies are different, so scrap the injection...the shock of an injection has been known to kill them. And I can understand why you were afraid of causing death by shock when you handled it. I have never had a woodie die of shock but they are very stressed when they are handled, I avoid that unless it is essential.

As you rescued it from the cat it didn't have a chance to get dehydrated, just give it water and food in the cage, cover the cage and let it be. Get it to the vet and on Synulox as soon as possible tomorrow.

Good luck!

Cynthia

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Yes, John did get the ID on this one. :) Hoping that the mouth is clear
of growths and that this cat-caught bird will be placed on antibiotics, asap.
If "signing the bird over", please don't forget to ask about their policy regarding
Woodies/Pigeons if unreleasable.

fp

I'd just use warm water, without knowing if soaps which may be safe for small humans are safe for small pigeons too.

He won't die from shock. Woodies can die of heart failure if they have to be injected, though. The real danger is the potential infection, but on a Sunday in the UK there isn't anything you can do about antibiotics (unless you have a Pets-At-Home branch which has a vet).

John

PS Also check inside his mouth is fairly pink and clean looking - no yellow 'growth'. Just a precaution to see if there's any obvious other problem.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ive been working at my local vets for three years and Ill make sure he wont be put to sleep. Last year I hand reared a starling which as released and the head nurse has an avairy she uses for rehabing birds to reintroduce them back into the wild.
Where would be the best place to keep him? At the moment he's in our cloak room although we do have a bird cage which we could cover while he hopefully recovers.
Is the synulox put into the water, because he doesnt appear to be drinking much at the moment. He has been drinking from a spoon!
Ive bathed his wounds and theyre definately not as bad as i originally thought, the right hand wound is about 1cmX1cm and on the left there is a small circular wound(5mmX5mm) and a larger wound(2.5cmX3cm). Should I just continue to bathe them in warm water and use the antibiotics?

Again thank you for your help
XxX

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Clavamox or Augmentin (human form) which is how we know it in the states comes in pill form here and can be given orally. Dark,quiet and warm is good to help minimize the stress for the bird. I would put some antibiotic cream on the
scrapes and wait for the vet's visit.

fp

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I would also use Intrasite Gel on the wounds to keep them moist and speed up healing, washing them out and replacing the gel daily.

Cynthia

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi WildlifeVetToBe,

This looks to me to be a fledgling, or one who is still quite young and may not have ever eaten or drank by himself yet.

Water needs to be 'tepid', or close to his or your own Body Temperature for Pigeons of his age to conceed to drink it.

So, try some tepid water...but before you offer it, moisten your finger tips in it and gently massage his Beak and see if you can inspire him to make a tentatie 'Nuzzle', and if he does, then, guide his Beak into the tepid Water, and keep your finger tips on his Beak as you do so, and he will drink.

Washing injurys is best done with a Saline Solution or a dilute Peroxide and Water solution ( say, 1/3rd common Hydrogen Peroxide, and 2/3rds Water) , also 'tepid'...and this would be a good thing to do to clean off germs which are on his skin or on the ourtside of the injurys...

And the most earnest concern, is to get the correct Antibiotics for him and into him, as soon as possible.

You can cut a few Eye high smallish holes on a medium Cardboard Box, line the bottom with a white Towell ( so you can see and count poops ) and have him in that some place about elbow high or higher...not on the floor.

On top a Filing Cabinet is a good height.

Drape the open top of the Box with a light sheer cloth...and he will be about as comfortable as possible under the circumstances.

if he has food in his Crop ( you can gently feel his Crop to see ) or, if he is making poops, then he had been fed or had eaten recently and he can coast a little ways till food becomes of concern.

Being as young as he is, the matter of food and or feeding might be somehting which will have to be dealt with...or, if you are lucky, maybe he knows how to peck and will do so once some small whole Seeds are presented.

Good luck..!

Phil
l v

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im taking the pigeon to the vets in an hour. Hopefully Ill get some antibiotics for him although I think they want me to leave him there...anyway Ill see what happens...how do you give a terrified pigeon tablets?, Especially if he doesnt know how to eat...although hes been drinking warm water from a spoon.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Well is useful if someone else if holding him. You can hold a pigeon by holing his legs wings and tail at the back carefully and he won’t be able to escape while someone will administers the pill in his beck. Open the pigeon beak with 2 hands and then just keep it open with one hand while with the other hand you grab the pill and shove it down his throat fast. Make sure he swallows, if he shakes his head he might throw it away and look carefully around the floor for it. Helps if his head is close to his body and slightly on the back. You can do it pretty fast with a bit of experience. I have this pigeon that I have to hand feed and he can put quite a bit of a struggle. Or just simply try to put the pill down his throat in a dark room.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Im taking the pigeon to the vets in an hour. Hopefully Ill get some antibiotics for him although I think they want me to leave him there...anyway Ill see what happens...how do you give a terrified pigeon tablets?, Especially if he doesnt know how to eat...although hes been drinking warm water from a spoon.

Hi Wildlifevetobe,

Hello..!

Hope the Vet visit goes well..!

Go back and read my post to you in which I outlined how you may guide him to drink. Please go back a little...it is the last post on page 1.

And doing this also will pay off in allowing/encouraging/providing him to eat.

A 'spoon' will not have the depth he needs the Water to have, for getting the amounts of hydration he needs.

To give them a Pill or Tablet - it is kinder to break the Tablet in half for it to swallow easier, unless it is small to begin with, and some are not.

To put the Tablet into his Beak, merely put it in far enough so he will swallow, and not spit it out.

Do not shove anything down his Throat.

You may hold him for this proceedure by gently wrapping a small hand Towell around him so much of the Towell is below his Tail, and, gently spigoting him vertically, between just behind your knees as you sit.

This way, he is held and you have both hands free.

Have him face to the right if you are right handed.

Gently open his Beak making sure not to cause any sideways pressures, and, once open enough for a finger tip to be inserted you may then place the Pill or Tablet in far enough to be behind the soft 'Barbs' of his Tongue...do not try and open it more than it WILL open or you will break or injure his Jaw.

Good luck..!

Phil
Las Vegas

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Any news?

Cynthia

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi, sorry so late, bro was on the computer. Took him to the vets at six and the vet looked at him straight away. He was able to competely look at everything and has given me three syringes of baytril to inject. He has already had one which I injected at the vets and although I was worried how he would cope being a woodie, hes fine, Im cleaning his wounds in salt water for now, but my mums getting some saline and hibi to clean them properly.
He drank from a spoon again tonight but I really dont know if hes eating. Ive put some seed down for tonight.
Any advice on feeding or encouraging him to feed would be very much appreciated.

thanks

1 - 20 of 371 Posts