Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all, looking for urgent help. This lovely baby pigeon comes to our house everyday for food. Last month, I saw hair stuck to this right feet, but could not remove as he won’t let me touch. Now, his feet is really hurting and he is most of the time on 1 leg. Any medicine you would recommend that I can mix with his food? I am scared that vet or wild life hospital might take a short cut and put him down :-(. Kindly help please. We live in Romford, Essex, UK

Attachments

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
There is a uk pigeon and dove rescue i believe on facebook who may be able to help. Thank you for helping and caring about him.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
You will need to catch him in order to remove all the hair. Put the food under a laundry basket or crate and balance the one end on a short pole with a rope tied to the pole. Sit a couple of metres away holding the end of the rope. When he goes underneath to eat (he might be wary at first but just give it time) you pull the rope and the basket will fall on him. First practice this so that it works perfect when you catch him.

Have everything ready to remove the string. Lukewarm water, small scissors etc. Worst case scenario is that he will lose a couple of toes. He will adapt to that, although it must be very painfull for him.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello there i live in a city and unfortunately this is a thing i come across almost daily.
the best is to find a rescue but please make sure first they won’t euthanize him.
You may aso try to help him.
please visit the ling below, it explains how to proceed!

if you can take the pigeon home, wrap him in a handtowel and cover his eyes, it will calm him down not seeing his surroundings. If not experienced, you may ask someone to hold him for you while you work on his feet. Ideally you would first soak his feet in lukewarm water for about 5-7 minutes, il will make the process easier.
i use an empty yougurt pot and hold the pigeon above it.

All medicine / creams mentioned are adapted to birds, it must be followed as some antibiotics do cause harm to birds, and only avian vets know what to give .
I wish him the best, thank you so much to take care of him :)

ps : if accidentally cut, feet tend to bleed a lot, it is good to have some anti- hemostatic cream around.
powder clay or corn starch applied freely will stop the bleeding too!
please be careful: never apply anything containing cortisone NEVER! very dangerous for pigeons

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dear all, looking for urgent help. This lovely baby pigeon comes to our house everyday for food. Last month, I saw hair stuck to this right feet, but could not remove as he won’t let me touch. Now, his feet is really hurting and he is most of the time on 1 leg. Any medicine you would recommend that I can mix with his food? I am scared that vet or wild life hospital might take a short cut and put him down :-(. Kindly help please. We live in Romford, Essex, UK
Did you follow advice given prior?
If not, listen: 2 people, give bird seeds to let you and bird know each other. Put food down and from back of bird, grab wings hold pin down on floor lightly. Once held have you or other clip the hair, etc. Yes its nerve racking. But try this.
Speak in soothing, low tone to bird quietly to calm down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You will need to catch him in order to remove all the hair. Put the food under a laundry basket or crate and balance the one end on a short pole with a rope tied to the pole. Sit a couple of metres away holding the end of the rope. When he goes underneath to eat (he might be wary at first but just give it time) you pull the rope and the basket will fall on him. First practice this so that it works perfect when you catch him.

Have everything ready to remove the string. Lukewarm water, small scissors etc. Worst case scenario is that he will lose a couple of toes. He will adapt to that, although it must be very painfull for him.

Hi Marian, I tried with the laundary basket but he never gets in to the basket. He just sits on one end of my balcony and never try to come close. Could you share a video about the pole idea? or if you have any pictures. Hair is badly stuck to his feets, and looks like I will need him to take to a vet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello there i live in a city and unfortunately this is a thing i come across almost daily.
the best is to find a rescue but please make sure first they won’t euthanize him.
You may aso try to help him.
please visit the ling below, it explains how to proceed!

if you can take the pigeon home, wrap him in a handtowel and cover his eyes, it will calm him down not seeing his surroundings. If not experienced, you may ask someone to hold him for you while you work on his feet. Ideally you would first soak his feet in lukewarm water for about 5-7 minutes, il will make the process easier.
i use an empty yougurt pot and hold the pigeon above it.

All medicine / creams mentioned are adapted to birds, it must be followed as some antibiotics do cause harm to birds, and only avian vets know what to give .
I wish him the best, thank you so much to take care of him :)

ps : if accidentally cut, feet tend to bleed a lot, it is good to have some anti- hemostatic cream around.
powder clay or corn starch applied freely will stop the bleeding too!
please be careful: never apply anything containing cortisone NEVER! very dangerous for pigeons
thanks a lot Bianca. I called the wild life hospital and they told me that they will be able to help but I worry that they might take a shortcut and put him down. I will try to catch him first and then try to remove the hair myself if I can with help from my wife and friends. I will keep this group posted.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
The open end of the basket needs to be on the ground. Then you just lift the side and balance this on a 30 to 40 cm pole with the rope tied to it. So the basket will be standing at a tilt. The food you put down should be underneath the basket. That's where you want him to go so that when you pull the rope the basket will cover him. If still unclear, I will make a drawing tomorrow and post.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Marian, I tried with the laundary basket but he never gets in to the basket. He just sits on one end of my balcony and never try to come close. Could you share a video about the pole idea? or if you have any pictures. Hair is badly stuck to his feets, and looks like I will need him to take to a vet.
So frustrating...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did you follow advice given prior?
If not, listen: 2 people, give bird seeds to let you and bird know each other. Put food down and from back of bird, grab wings hold pin down on floor lightly. Once held have you or other clip the hair, etc. Yes its nerve racking. But try this.
Speak in soothing, low tone to bird quietly to calm down.
Also covering the eyes with a soft cloth, i found very helpful to soothe the bird while working on his legs. Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
thanks a lot Bianca. I called the wild life hospital and they told me that they will be able to help but I worry that they might take a shortcut and put him down. I will try to catch him first and then try to remove the hair myself if I can with help from my wife and friends. I will keep this group posted.
yes, please do make sure they will not euthanise him. I have had a lot of pigeons with legs worse than those and managed to get a very good result. If you catch him and do the works, please do put the cream before releasing him, with a massage so it is all sunk into the skin. It will help the healing process.

another question, would it work if you give the food on the ground outside? I mean, i understood he is on your windowsill which makes it much much harder to catch the bird. On the floor it is much easier. The trick as someone wrote here ( did you also watch the videos on the link I had posted? ) is to put some seeds on the ground near your feet, stand above him ( ideally you would be sitting on a bench for example ) and while distracted by the food, catch him from above, please do not clintch too hard : a soft but firm grip Around his wings.

i catch around 2-3 pigeons a week and now it has become easy although the first time is nerve wrecking!
thank you for all your efforts! He does suffer poor little one!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts