Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First a little story about why im writing this and asking my questions
ok so the 28 th of august we found what i thought was a dead little pigeon it was in our garden wet cold and lying on its side , i picked it up to avoid my dogs maybe to chew in it ,when i did i felt a stir and figured maybe i imagined it maybe not but because i wasent sure it was actually dead i took it inside in a box with towels placed on top of a left over heating pad from reptiles , some hours after i checked on it and to my surprise it was now lying normal and lifted its head slightly to look up at me , i never rescued a pigeon before so started reading what to do , as i could figure out according to pictures online it was about 12- 14 days old, started reading and found out that you cant offer food or water unless the baby was warm and that food or water had to be 39 c having that in mind i waited a few more hours then tried to offer him some water made of 1 l boiling water a teaspoon salt and tablespoon honey ( recipe i got from a pigeon rescue center) but no he didn't wanna drink , then tried some oats like a oat soup thing with the water mixture and still couldn't get him/her to eat , more youtubing and a few hours later i found a method to try out , a glass with a ballon over that i cut a little hole in in the end and cut off the part you normally tie a knot on and expanded that over a small shots glass, i then placed the little one on a towel and carefully popped its beak into the small whole i had cut and my god it didnt take 10 sec and it went crazy eating and from that on it was rather easy feeding it using this method , unfortunally problem is now that it dont wanna talk to anyone but me , if i take him outside it is like glued to my shoulders and scared, and inside the house it follows me everywhere which is cute apart from that it slaps and bite everyone else, i dont know if it is a female or male , been watching a lot of videos etc and its doing both , first its bending its head down bum in the air when i stroke it , but yesterday it seemed to be uhm wagging its bum on my hand after trying to feed my fingers .... male or female i dont know , i named it lucky as it seem fitting , now the parents live in our alleyway and here is the actual the question, in the last 5 years the same couple have tried tried and tried to make a nest and coz there arent enough room all the eggs always land on the ground lucky here that i got is the first baby ever to succeed apart from it falling out of the nest as it gre as there simply wasent room, so now my question is , are there somehow a method to make this couple to move nesting place ? i dont mind them moving into our little patio and there would be room for them to make a actual functioning nest there ,and also i could offer them feed so they have a easier time but how can i do this so we dont end up maybe with another more than half dead baby again.
also ive tried taking lucky out but she/he freaks out like crazy and wont fly outside , i bought lucky a flight suit/bird diaper , im aware not every one like the idea but lucky accept it and im happy that i dont have to pick up droppings every 5 min but i would like lucky to be able to also fly free sometimes and not only inside the house, i let him out of the cage in the morning when we wake up and i pop him to bed at evening around 23.00 so his out of his cage free for more than 12 hours a day also does anyone know why he/she get sooooooo mad when i touch the nest in his cage but as soon his out his the most loving and cute bird ever (apart from bedtime lucky reaally dont wanna go to bed ) he even slaps me and bite me when i pop him to bed in the evening and next morning he (cuddles me)?? mood swings ? hormones lol ?? i know this is a long post but as im a totally newbie in this i got a lot of questions just hoping someone can help answering some of them
kind regards from fiona

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Well you've done a brilliant job with this baby and it's now imprinted on you, which means it won't survive outside because it hasn't learned any survival skills from a parent bird. He won't fly away and if he did he probably wouldn't last long. I'm in the same situation as you with a tumbler I raised five months ago, just can't decide if it's male or female as it acts like both - I 'think' it's male but I'm waiting on a DNA test to come back any time this week to know for sure. I'd say lucky is a boy, purely because of the wiggling on your hand, two of my boys squat for their females sometimes during mating and one tries to get it on with my hand, just as you've explained but I've never had a female do that. Six of mine were hand raised from rescued eggs by me and all have been DNA sexed.
I have mine tested at Animal Genetics UK in Cornwall - you'd need to pluck six chest feathers and send them away, moulted ones won't work or clip the nail just at the tip of the quick in order to collect a very small blood sample - I can't do that so I plucked my 'boy' and tbh he didn't even flinch. It's £14 for feather testing and £13 for blood, for my hatchlings I sent the shells which is £15. The results come back via email in around seven days and you get a certificate in the post stating the sex too.
As for pecking, they all do that and especially in their cage as they're very territorial, even to us mums, lol. My boys are far more pecky than the girls but the girls can pack a peck when they feel like it too - it's just what pigeons do and it isn't necessarily aggression, it's called tough love. Mine sometimes hang on and twist too but it's not really painful and I just pick them up and kiss them - my way of showing love :) they love being stroked on their cheeks though, just below their eyes, I use forefinger and thumb and the boys have a good old peck at first but soon close their eyes and enjoy it.
If you're not planning on keeping Lucky there's a brilliant group on Facebook (got my Rescue girl from there) called Pigeon Rescue and Protection UK, join it and they will do what they can to help find lucky a home or advise you on a good Rescue that may release him with other pigeons once he's learned how to be a pigeon from others.
As for nesting, they like to choose their own spot and pigeons choose the most inappropriate places which are sure to fail, my eggs came from building sites where they were laid on walk boards that eventually had to be taken down and the nests destroyed- I doubt the poor chicks would have survived as they had literally a few shreds of twigs as the nests. The only thing you can do is cover where they are nesting to make them go elsewhere and after a couple of months of them not coming back you can remove it. If you like having them there perhaps adding some shelving or a big plastic planter pot would give them somewhere safer to raise future babies, pigeons often choose flower pots on balconies to nest in. Good luck.
Thank you for looking after Lucky, they are gorgeous birds even if they peck a little.

ETA - Try turning the light off and getting lucky into his cage that way at bedtime, much easier to catch him and he won't even know what you're intending. I close mine down at 7pm the latest now and if he's in a room that you use put a curtain or something over his cage to make it dark.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi and thank you so much for your reply, im not sure i got the heart to let lucky go now tbh i love that little bugger,lucky sleep in a small dog transport box which is what i had on hand when i picked him up he got a old bread basket as sleeping place that i cut a fleece blanket up in small squares and popped one in the "nest" which he seem to love, as "bedding" im just taking a whole newspaper open it up as it fits perfectly in the box when open ,and everyday i remove a few pages so he got clean to walk on and also theres 2 none tip bowl in the box one with water one with his food he seem happy with all that apart from that he really dont wanna go to bed , however your advice helped i turned of the light and he was easy to pick up and get to bed so i hope this will continue to work, the alleyway with the parents they kinda made the nest in a small window at out hotel and they build the nest on a broken piece of wood in the window also where we found the nest after we found lucky down on the ground , i dont mind having them there but neighbour put up pigeon spikes and they look sooo nasty and im worried they will get damaged there one day or a baby will if they succeed again , been trying to get them used to me feeding them a little in hope they would move into our garden lol i dont think that is working though i might get a dna test to check what lucky are i suspect my self its a male i have tho another question if you dont mind before i got lucky to bed tonight he was on my shoulder and suddenly he threw up whole corn none of the other food only the corn and it smelled rather sour is lucky getting ill ? poops look normal and no smell what so ever ?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I’d just keep an eye on how he eats for a bit. My Gabriel did that once as a youngster but he did it in front of a mirror, I didn’t know if he was ill or just regurgitating food for the ‘other pigeon’ as he was a young male and possibly confused. He never did it again after that but you should look down Luckys throat with a torch to make sure he doesn’t have any yellowy stuff like cheese down there which could be canker. I bet it’s just a one off though but keep an eye out just in case.
Why the pigeon spikes? People are so intolerant to nature these days - they have as much right as we do to be here - probably more because they’re not ruining our planet we are!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.