Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have white homers. Since last spring '07, there have been NO squabs survive past pin feather stage???? Pigeons are fed "Go-Get-Um" Racing Pigeon Blend, and fresh H2O daily. the adults all appear healthy and pretty.

Background, had a flock of 28 and never a problem with population - until last spring. had a preditor reduce my numbers down to nine. Had a few eggs hatch last Summer '07. No squab matured. Molting season now over the remaining have began laying again with the same result. Healthy pinfeathered birds - just die?

I live in Northeastern OK and weather has never been a problem. Any knowledge or information would be appreciated. I like to watch the flock fly. Thank you for any offering you have.

David

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What is Scalped Babies?

I have just read in another post "scalped babies". Can someone please tell me what that means?
Thank you,
David

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
David, That's when an adult pecks the head of the baby pigeons.
As for you other situation, do you have mice in your loft? If so, their droppings can make your birds sick. They can get salmonella from the droppings which the parents are passing on to the babies. So it could be that.
Don't let anymore eggs hatch until you have this situation resolved. Let the birds go through their cycle of incubating the eggs but give them wooden eggs or plastic eggs to lay on. They can be purchased, on line, at pigeon supply places such as Jedd's, Foy's, Global, New England. You can find a link to them in our resource section.
They also have medications for salmonella.The birds can be vaccinated too.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Are you innoculating your birds for PMV, Paratyphoid, and doing any preventives for Canker, E coli, and such? This could be one of many things.

Any other symptoms?

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
You have feed water, do you have grit? Also as said you may have some health problems. You could order several meds. BUT you can get sulmet at a feed store or vet supply treat the birds for 1 week and it would help. Now weathere is getting warmer so cold at this stage will be getting ruled out. You are holding your breeder birds in not flying them while they are on small young are you. Where in N E okla are you. I live In Enid.

·
Registered
328 Posts
go to rollerpigeon.com and order a vial of pmv vaccine and a vial of sal bac. Innoculate your birds and wait two weeks before you let them breed again. If I had to guess I would say it is salmonella. Shoot`em in the base of the neck in the little group of muscle where the wings and the neck come together.

g/l

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Okay, finally got in touch with 007david and he's new to computers--he wasn't able to find his way back to this thread. Anyway, he doesn't live here in Tulsa, more like about an hour away to the southeast from me. He doesn't have any drugs on hand so we're going to have to work on that as well as simply trying to diagnose what his birds may have. He's going to go get a dying nestling right now and call me back in a few minutes. We'll try to get some more information and narrow it down some, hopefully.

Pidgey

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Okay, finally got in touch with 007david and he's new to computers--he wasn't able to find his way back to this thread. Anyway, he doesn't live here in Tulsa, more like about an hour away to the southeast from me. He doesn't have any drugs on hand so we're going to have to work on that as well as simply trying to diagnose what his birds may have. He's going to go get a dying nestling right now and call me back in a few minutes. We'll try to get some more information and narrow it down some, hopefully.

Pidgey
Is he around the tahlequa area Or near muskogee. Sounds like to me sulmet would help and be easy to get. Isnt there a supply house in the tulsa area also?

·
Registered
150 Posts
dirty lofts leads to all sorts of problems, introducing new birds leads to all sorts of problems. Fresh clear water does not mean safe water. You can name all the problems, ecloi, canker, etc. 4 things you need to go back and review, 1) clean loft? 2) introduced new bird(s)? 3) did you go somewhere that may pass on a deisease to you and to your birds? 4) recheck what you are feeding them.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Is he around the tahlequa area Or near muskogee. Sounds like to me sulmet would help and be easy to get. Isnt there a supply house in the tulsa area also?
Yeah, Tahlequah. After talking to him, the nestlings seem just fine and then go downhill very quickly. I did get him to smell the breath of the one and he did say there was a little odor. Might be canker but I'm not used to canker being quite this regular in killing nestlings. This one is the last one living at the moment. There are more eggs hatching so more should be about this age in three weeks or so. We did determine that this little guy has an empty crop so he's obviously been sick for a day or so.

Pidgey

·
Registered
984 Posts
He really does need help. Whatever it is, it has to be something that the adults are old and strong enough reject, but they are carriers for it, and infect the hatchlings, and they die.
Could be anything from Salmonella (strong contender) or canker to worms. Could be a nutritional deficiency weakening the birds, then bringing on coccidia.
I'd say this is one for the vet lab.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Yeah, Tahlequah. After talking to him, the nestlings seem just fine and then go downhill very quickly. I did get him to smell the breath of the one and he did say there was a little odor. Might be canker but I'm not used to canker being quite this regular in killing nestlings. This one is the last one living at the moment. There are more eggs hatching so more should be about this age in three weeks or so. We did determine that this little guy has an empty crop so he's obviously been sick for a day or so.

Pidgey
I used to live there. Tell him O, SI, YO. Yes could be canker. bUT the parents would have it. Pharathiphoid, or coccsidious Is my thought. E coli agin the old birds would be dropping to. The coop there should have sulmet. He can start treatment now and the next round might make it. He needs to clean trhe loft bleach the waterers, And Tell him if he gets his problems taken care of I will give him a few white homers to get him going agin. My son plans on moving back to tahlequah very soon. Is the young gettting off weight look thin mabybe spradel legged. . Or if canker this bad bloatee crop with air. gasping for air. and a look down the throat would show the canker. Also what feed mix is he using.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
He told me that he feeds in the morning and throws whatever they don't eat that day out that evening. He said they just get lethargic and go to sleep, more or less. He had 30 birds last year and a raccoon got in and killed a bunch--now he's only got 11 adults.

Pidgey

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks

Thanks to all of you. Your knowledge is going to solve this issue. (as I have no knowldege). All of your suggestions and ideas are great. The contact from Pidgey - great.

I am not great on the computer and just learning about how this can be a useful tool. And it is going to be. Could not get back to this thread. UNTIL thanks to Piggey - sent me a link. Thank you.

Update. I have two squabs on Easter. Seem to be getting stronger and larger. Look great. going to the co-op to locate some of the remedies that have been suggested. More later.

Again I can not thank you enough.

David

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
got some meds

I used to live there. Tell him O, SI, YO. Yes could be canker. bUT the parents would have it. Pharathiphoid, or coccsidious Is my thought. E coli agin the old birds would be dropping to. The coop there should have sulmet. He can start treatment now and the next round might make it. He needs to clean trhe loft bleach the waterers, And Tell him if he gets his problems taken care of I will give him a few white homers to get him going agin. My son plans on moving back to tahlequah very soon. Is the young gettting off weight look thin mabybe spradel legged. . Or if canker this bad bloatee crop with air. gasping for air. and a look down the throat would show the canker. Also what feed mix is he using.
Thank you for your information, I went to the Co-op and purchased some Sulmet. Will begin treating the water tomorrow. I hope this will let the squabs mature. Thank you again. David

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hearbreaking to hear about the raccoon attack! Hope the area is well secured now!

Praying that all is well with the newly hatched as well as the parents.
Looking forward to an update.

Blessings upon Pidgey for contacting/assisting David & Re Lee for offering him the white homers.

Reading this thread about the meds/vaccines, was wondering if I'm supposed to get/give any vaccines to the pigeons/doves even though they don't fly outdoors. ???

·
Registered
500 Posts
Are you innoculating your birds for PMV, Paratyphoid, and doing any preventives for Canker, E coli, and such? This could be one of many things.
Hi Treesa...just wondering if I should get innoculations for PMV for my guys. Can they get PMV even though they don't fly outdoors:confused:
Also, what type of preventitives would one use for Canker, E coli....etc.?

Hope to hear good news from David soon!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts