Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I stopped by here for a little bit if advice. Long story short, I found a fancy pigeon today, not ringed, who can't fly. Something is wrong with his right wing. I Will take him to a wild bird rescue where I volunteered tuesday evening, but I Will have to take care of him untill them. Food, water and housing aren't a problem, he currently is in a Large cage with a few natural perches, a swing, food, water and a basket of hay. But my question is, can I start doing Something to make his wing better? Does Anyone have any ideas about what is going om with his wing? I know that at the bird rescue, they won't do Anything complicated to the doves, they Will try of course but they get a few pigeons every day, so they can't do complicated treatments for each one of them. Do you think his chances on healing are better in the rescue or at my home?
I would really love hearing your advice! Also if there is Something else I can do to make him more comfortable let me know!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He doesn't need a swing or hay. And they prefer to perch on a solid shelf or even a brick.
There is no possible way for us to what what is wrong with the wing. An avian vet could tell you if it is broken or not. If so then it needs to be wrapped right to give it the best chances of healing. Birds bones do heal quickly, even if the healing is in the wrong position, so I wouldn't wait too long to get help or it will be healed the way it is. Then too, it could be just strained or injured without being broken, and could need rest.

Can you post some pics of him and his wing placement?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your replay!
I know he doesn't need the swing, but I didn't have a lot of thick perches, so it is more like an emergency perch. I tries to put a solid platform in there but didn't manage, it is night here now so I put the basket in with a bit of hay(thought that might make him feel more secure, but I might take it out as you suggested!) where he could sit in. Not ideal bit I Will improve it tomorrow.
I Will post good pictures of his Wing immediantly tomorrow. I really hope it is not broken, I know that at the rescue pigeons with broken wings are often put to sleep. I can take him there tuesday evening. I will also inform is there is an avian vet around that might want to take a look at him before I take him to the rescue, I can't pay the full price right now but Maybe they want to do it for a little less then the normal price as he is a rescue.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Can you put the cage up on a table or something so it isn't on the floor? They don't feel safe on the floor. Instinct tells them to roost as high up as they can. Also drafty on the floor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your help! I placed the cage on a small table and made a platform at the top. He is eating well, I am not sure about drinking though. I covered half the cage with a blanket. I can't have him inside the house as I have two lovebirds and I don't want to risk them getting sick. So he is staying in the shed, but that is made of brick and a bit isolated so it isn't really bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
No............he isn't wild. He probably got lost and can't find food or water. If you release him, he won't make it on his own. There must be someone around who keeps pigeons. Maybe you could locate someone who would take him?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay thank you! That was te reinssurance I needed. I won't release him and Will find him a good home. My grandparents have a pigeon aviary, or Maybe I Will keep him myself and rescue another pigeon(from a bird rescue). I Will try to schedule a vet appointmemt for tomorrow^^

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Aww thank you for helping him and what a beauty he is, I think he's stunning and would definitely keep him. You're doing a great job looking after him bye the way and he seems very comfortable in your presence. Lovely bird. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all so much for your kind words! I am quite in love with him, so he Will either stay with me or move to my grandparents, they are building a new pigeon enclosure right now. They only have five so he could make the flock complete. This forum is wonderful, I am going to stick around and learn more input pigeons!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.