Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a pigeon in the parking garage where I work.​
I walked up to him and he was laying down crouched up not wanting to move. when I went to catch him he tried to fly away and fell down. He has a giant wound on his back with missing feathers. some clumps of stuff by his butt and a lot of messed up tail and wing feathers. what should I do? I own a macaw and African grey at home and all the sanctuaries close by the time i get off of work. I left him with a special water mix i saw online but i am still concerned. please help me :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
Where are you located? Have you contacted any rescues? Some of them can do after hours drop offs.

I can’t see the injuries in your picture, but he will probably need antibiotics. Keep him warm and try to get him to drink for now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he has a gash on his back and his tail is all messed up. his wings are hiding it. the sanctuaries near me in Houston do not provide late drop offs but i have provided him water with a light dash of sugar and salt

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He needs to be gotten inside where it is warm. He is in danger if outside. Something will get to him. Just keep him in a cage or box or something, and in another room from your birds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Whoops, forgot to mention, since you have pet parrots - keep the pigeon in quarantine! This not only means keeping them physically separated, it also means not holding the pigeon against your shirt and then interacting with your birds without changing clothes (almost all wild pigeons have feather lice and other things you don't want to pass on). Same goes for handling the pigeon or his bedding - scrub your hands up to the elbow after handling and launder the bedding separately from your other towels with hot water (or just give the towel to the wildlife center that ends up taking him in). If you keep the pigeon in anything that isn't disposable like a cardboard box, then make sure you thoroughly disinfect it afterwards.

You have probably already thought of these points, but you're doing the right thing by getting the poor guy some help, and I just wanted to make extra sure your good deed wasn't punished by accidentally affecting your companions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.