Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 21 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a pigeon two days ago near trolley in tesco (outside). He is not an adult but he is not a baby also. He moved his wings and grabbed my toes his leg. I put him in a box, gave him water and bread and then parrot food. He does not eat by himself. Today he is apathetic, sleepy. Don't move his legs. Two days ago I contacted the vet (he said I could bring him, but he would put him to sleep) and I was contact also with mansfield wildlife organisation but they told me they are busy now...
I don't know what to do I was try to find info at Google but I can't. I found info about give him Calcium and manganium (?).
Sorry about my English.
I live in Mansfield, United Kingdom.
I don't know how to put here photos please help

·
Registered
906 Posts
Would you post a picture? If he is flying then probably a fledgling / juvenile. If he isn't flying he may be younger and will probably need to be hand-fed. He needs water and foods like peas, lentils, rice, barley, oats, wheat and so on. A small amount of yogurt with "live cultures". especially Greek yogurt because it has less lactose, would be good too, as a probiotic.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Never give bread to a pigeon, it will cause sour crop and he will die. You can rather handfeed him defrosted green peas. Defrost in warm water till soft, put one deep inside his beak over the tongue and let him swallow. Try to feed 30 peas 3 times a day, total of 90 per day. Make sure his crop empties inbetween feedings, there must be plenty of droppings. Try to get a handrearing formula for baby parrots. Mix the powder with a little bit of water to form a soft clay. Make small pea size balls and feed this to him in addition to the peas.

Was he able to walk when you got him? Sounds to me he is weak from not getting enough food. If the droppings are green and creamy, then he is starving.

You can click on the paperclip icon and then chose photos from your gallery.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never give bread to a pigeon, it will cause sour crop and he will die. You can rather handfeed him defrosted green peas. Defrost in warm water till soft, put one deep inside his beak over the tongue and let him swallow. Try to feed 30 peas 3 times a day, total of 90 per day. Make sure his crop empties inbetween feedings, there must be plenty of droppings. Try to get a handrearing formula for baby parrots. Mix the powder with a little bit of water to form a soft clay. Make small pea size balls and feed this to him in addition to the peas.

Was he able to walk when you got him? Sounds to me he is weak from not getting enough food. If the droppings are green and creamy, then he is starving.

You can click on the paperclip icon and then chose photos from your gallery.
I uploads photos in other reply.
What If he die because I gave him bread? Ok I try peas. No he cant walk.
Is he supposed to have legs under him?

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Yes, the legs must be under him and not stretched put behind him. Can you take a flashlight and check jnside his beak and back of the throat for any unusual yellow or white growths?

How much bread did you give? Do you have apple cider vinegar (unfiltered brand)? This is not ordinary vinegar. If so, add 5 ml to 1 litre of water and let him drink this instead of plain water. This will help with digestion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, the legs must be under him and not stretched put behind him. Can you take a flashlight and check jnside his beak and back of the throat for any unusual yellow or white growths?

How much bread did you give? Do you have apple cider vinegar (unfiltered brand)? This is not ordinary vinegar. If so, add 5 ml to 1 litre of water and let him drink this instead of plain water. This will help with digestion.
Im at tesco now. Igredients of first: organic cider vinegar it will be ok?
The second igredients: cider vinegar, water, acidity 5%
Which will be better?
I gave him bread one and half day.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Im at tesco now. Igredients of first: organic cider vinegar it will be ok?
The second igredients: cider vinegar, water, acidity 5%
Which will be better?
Raw, unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar. The fluid should be murky / cloudy, not clear / transparent.

Food Bottle Liquid Condiment Ingredient

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Just leave the legs as they are for now. Will chat tomorrow, it's late here. Check inside his beak and let him drink the acv water. Try to feed him peas.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Give the bird a bath. I usually use a large mixing bowl, half-full of room-temperature or only slightly warmer water (about 4 inches deep.) Set the bird in the water, then use one hand to prevent the bird from flying, and the other to pour handfuls of water over the bird's body (but not over the head -- especially not over the eyes and beak) until thoroughly wet and clean. Pat dry with paper towels. He definitely appears to be malnourished, and may be injured. Look for any open wounds, or broken bones (feel along the bones in the wings with your fingertips.)

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Can he move his legs at all, or are they just hanging limp? It's possible he might have a spinal injury. If you are prepared to spend money, try to get him to an avian vet for x-rays. You can tell them he is your pet (they will probably not believe you) but if you are the paying customer then they have to treat him.

Are the droppings starting to look better after the ACV water? Will still be green, but should be bulkier than before. You can make him a sling, I will post a photo later.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Try to make this for him so that he will be more comfortable. Just make sure the cloaca is not covered so that he can poop. You can let his feet touch the ground. Put a small bowl of seeds in front of him within reach, he might start eating by himself. Also make sure the croparea (front of the breast) is not covered.
Bird Beak Feather Wing Seabird

1 - 21 of 43 Posts