Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I just got some birds, posted some pics, thanks to all who responded, have some questions, hoping maybe to get a little guidence, I was given 8 birds, 4 have 08 bands, the other 4 are their offspring and have never been flown, the 4 that have never been flown, can they be settled to my loft and flown or would I be better off not to take a chance on loosing them, are there meds that I should have on hand, should they be on a worming schedule, should I introduce birds from another loft, since these are so closly related, don't want to breed upside down flying birds..LOL, what is the best food to get, stopped by a local feed store, all they have is a wild bird mix, nothing just for pigeons, that is what the guy who gave them to me gave me, wild mix, bathing , how often, do I just put water in for them to bath in, have one sitting on a couple of eggs now, that is pretty cool, these birds are beautiful, it's great to just go in and watch them, I can only imagine what it will be like to get to fly some, two weeks ago, I had no idea there was black pigeons, now I have 4, that is pretty cool, if I have asked some dumb questions, I am sorry, just want to get off to a good start and take thebest care of my birds that I can, thanks to all that can be of any help... also anyone near central Indiana, we are in Randolph county, thanks again

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Hi Winchester...I can address the seed issue. I would call around to all feed stores in your area and see if you can find one that does carry a Pigeon mix. get one that had a protein content of at least 14%. If you can't find a seed Pigeon mix, check out your local Pigeon clubs and ask where they buy it. You may be able to piggy back on an order. Should that fail, you will need to mix your own. Wild bird seed isn't adequate to meet their nutritional needs.
Pigeons also enjoy leafy greens, minced carrots and defrosted corn and peas. I offer them as a treat in a separate dish.
Pigeons just love to bathe and then lounge around after basking in rays of sun. Mine will bathe everyday and while that isn't necessary...what does it hurt?! You do need to keep your loft dry though and so think about a bathing tub inside of another container that will hold all that water that goes overboard.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If you can't find a good pigeon mix right away, you can buy a dove mix and add to it unpopped popcorn, safflower seeds, lentils, brown rice, and split peas. Yes they do love to bath. If you have an aviary outside of the loft, that would be a good place to put a bath. A kitty litter pan works great for this. If you don't have an aviary, then Charis' idea about putting the tub into another container to catch the water that they splash is a good idea. And they DO splash! It's good to worm them spring and fall, and treat for coccidiosis and canker then too. There are online pigeon supply places where you can get these things to treat them. One is Foy's pigeon supplies. Before flying your birds, you would have to settle them to your place, and make sure that they know their surroundings first, so that they don't get lost. Others, who have experience with this can give you help with that. Be careful about letting them breed. You can end up with a ton of birds very quickly. You can buy fake eggs at the pigeon supplies also. When they lay eggs, you can switch them out with the fake eggs, so that you won't have more birds then what you have room for. If you just take the eggs, they'll have more right away. If they were to keep doing this, it wouldn't be good for the hen. When you give them the fake eggs, they'll sit on them for like 18 days or so, eventually get tired of them, when they don't hatch, and start laying again. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hello All, I just got some birds, posted some pics, thanks to all who responded, have some questions, hoping maybe to get a little guidence, I was given 8 birds, 4 have 08 bands, the other 4 are their offspring and have never been flown, the 4 that have never been flown, can they be settled to my loft and flown or would I be better off not to take a chance on loosing them, are there meds that I should have on hand, should they be on a worming schedule, should I introduce birds from another loft, since these are so closly related, don't want to breed upside down flying birds..LOL, what is the best food to get, stopped by a local feed store, all they have is a wild bird mix, nothing just for pigeons, that is what the guy who gave them to me gave me, wild mix, bathing , how often, do I just put water in for them to bath in, have one sitting on a couple of eggs now, that is pretty cool, these birds are beautiful, it's great to just go in and watch them, I can only imagine what it will be like to get to fly some, two weeks ago, I had no idea there was black pigeons, now I have 4, that is pretty cool, if I have asked some dumb questions, I am sorry, just want to get off to a good start and take thebest care of my birds that I can, thanks to all that can be of any help... also anyone near central Indiana, we are in Randolph county, thanks again
Need you to answer a couple of questions:
1 How old are the four offspring? That would help on the flying or not. But wait a month reqardless.

2 How big is your loft and how many birds do you want? You might want to build your stock before you start flying.

3 Do you plan on racing? If yes, feed will become an art and science otherwise Jay's and Charis's posts is what you need to do.

4. As far as Meds go, Warren at this site gave me this website, http://www.auspigeonco.com.au/, read what this vet says. Great information.

5. I worm twice a year, and bath two to three times a week. Go to Walmart and buy litter boxes and clothes detergent Borax. Mix 1 tablespoon per gallon in the bath water. This keeps mites off the birds and they seem to like it.

6. Some people put Apple Cider Vinegar in the drinking water twice a week. It is good for the bird's gut and helps digestion. I use it cause I know it helps and it is cheap but not required. One tablespoon per Gallon.

7. Some people use garlic either in the feed or drinking water twice a week. Garlic helps with worms and is a natural antibiotic. One clove crushed with 2 pounds of feed or gallon of water, (add 1 oz of oil so the garlic will stick to the seed). Do not do garlic and Apple vider vineger on the same day. Once again I use it cause I know it helps and it is cheap but not required.

Wellcome to the world of pigeons, It is a lifetime of love.

God Bless,
Tony

PS Never be sorry for asking questions, it shows you care.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Big T, thanks to you and others that have helped, this is a great place..,

I don't know the age of the offspring, the gentleman I got them from, had a friend that passed away, they had flown together years ago, before he passed away, he told his wife, when he passed to give his birds to the gentleman I got them from and he would know what to do with them, all he knew was that they were offspring of th 4 banded birds and had never been flown,

My loft is 4x8, I am starting to gain material to build a bigger one, I am thinking 8x16 or 8x24, had I known how much I was going to enjoy this, I wouldhave went bigger to start with,

As far a racing, I am not sure..... but I would not rule it out....

Thanks again for the information.....

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
By the way...Pigeons love garlic.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Evearybody always wishes that they had built bigger.LOL.
Another of the good things about apple cider vinegar, is that it helps to keep their gut at a PH that the bad bacterias don't like. So it is good for them, 2 or 3 times a week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts