Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last December I took in a tagged injured Oriental racing pigeon. I did not contact the owner as I knew they would kill him. Billy, started feeding in my garden in August 2015 and flying of everyday about 4pm. In December I noticed he was not right. Took him to my vet to find that he had been over raced and lost the use of muscles in his left wing. So he came to live indoors with me, my dog and cat. Ten days ago, three baby pigeons were in my garden looking very timid. Very sadly a cat got one of them, so I decided to bring the other two in as they were huddled together soaking wet and were not flying off with the other birds. Something clearly wrong. Another vet visit. Both Dolly and Jack had possibly been poisoned, rendering them partially blind. Jack had also been attacked by something and has undergone treatment to get rid of an abscess. So he is the weaker one at the moment. I had the choice of Euthanasia or they come live with me. I brought them home. As they were weak and in new territory i kept them in a cage to start. Dolly was picking on Jack in the cage, so I put Jack in another cage. He is the more timid one. They get on fine out of the cage and huddle together. Dolly has been flying around and can find her way to the curtain rails, TV and doors, especially if she is being chased by Billy. The problem i have is Billy is either trying to give her pigeon love or attack her. Aggressively pulling Dolly's feathers out the one chance he had to get to her. He is constantly chasing her around the house and she is quite scared and shaky. Who can blame her. Billy is very big compared to her and Jack and quite intimidating. I have contacted charities such as Wildlife aid in Leatherhead. They will put them down. Not acceptable! They do not have to be together, but is there anybody who can take in Dolly or Jack? Bearing in mind Dolly is partially blind. Jack, well the jury is still out on that one as he seems to be able to see much better but due to the abscess on his body by his wing he is still recovering. They would both make lovely pets for a pigeon fan. I hope someone can help these two sweet little souls.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You really have no way of knowing what the genders are.
They shouldn't be spending time together, as any new birds should be quarantined for 30 days before being put with other birds you have. This gives you time to watch them for any illness, and treat if necessary. You don't want to take a chance of your other bird catching anything.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
If you're on Facebook join the Pigeon Rescue and Protection UK group - I'm sure someone on there may be able to help.
It sounds like Billy is either defending his territory or trying to mate, I have a young feral boy who lost his love to his brother because he was so aggressive during courtship but now the other two are paired it's the female who's the aggressor, lol. Complicated courtship behaviour pigeons have.
I hope you have some success on the group, there's also a Pigeon Adoptions UK group you could join.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you FredaH. I was not aware of the Facebook pages. Your information has been very helpful. I shall try these. Billy is definitely trying to mate Dolly and be territorial at the same time. Pigeons seem to be as complex as Parrots. Thanks again :)

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Don't know what the circumstances are but am glad the bird found you. Sandy, you are one of the kind racing people who will retrieve their lost birds but sadly it takes all kinds of people to make a world. Some people see pigeons as not worth getting back so there us a danger that a bird who can no longer race will not be cared for any more. Am so glad some people take in and help injured or disadvantaged pigeons. Hope the birds get good homes.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
There are racers who care about their birds, and want them back regardless of why they don't make it home. Unfortunately, there are many of the others also. So when someone finds a bird, it's kind of hard to know which kind it is that owns the bird, and some just don't want to take the chance. Owners have come for their birds, and then snapped their neck. So blame the bad ones who don't value their birds, and give everyone a bad name. Don't blame the finder who assumes the worst. Explaining nicely would probably make your words heard more.
Better to try and contact the owner, and see if they actually want the bird back or not. But even then, they may come for it because they are being pressured to, and it ends badly for the bird. The bad ones always ruin it for the good ones. Blame them.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I would rather assume the worst than assume the best - but then I'm a pessimist and more pessimistic about people than any other creature on this planet. I wouldn't take it personally either, no more than I do when dog owners get slated for not picking up poop because my conscience is clear but I do know that many don't pick up, as I know from pigeon groups that some lofts leave a lot to be desired.
I hope you join those groups OP, they'll understand your concerns and help as much as they can. :)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I would rather assume the worst than assume the best - but then I'm a pessimist and more pessimistic about people than any other creature on this planet. I wouldn't take it personally either, no more than I do when dog owners get slated for not picking up poop because my conscience is clear but I do know that many don't pick up, as I know from pigeon groups that some lofts leave a lot to be desired.
I hope you join those groups OP, they'll understand your concerns and help as much as they can. :)
I agree with you. The bad ones ruin it for the good ones. You can't take a dog anywhere near most parks out here because of irresponsible owners. People get mad at the town rules, but you can't blame them. They just want to keep things nice and clean. The blame should be directed toward the ones who cause these feelings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts