Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hand raising a pegion for a while now and few days back it's feeces was like pure watery with little green in it.
Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Table

So I went to a shop and they told me to feed the bird anti biotic for 5-7days. This is bcuz of a bacteria Salmonell they said.
Liquid Fluid Gas Drink Cylinder

I've been giving this for 2 days. Just like a tiny scoop on tip of spoon on a small bowl of water. The pegions feeces changed and was looking fine but it's changed again today ( I couldn't take the pic so found same one from Google)
Font Art Amphibian Fashion accessory Metal

It was looking like this but with white colour also mixed in the feeces. And I noticed it's left eye lid is little up like closed. Also the neck sac looks little shrivelled like V.
Bird Beak Wood Feather Wing

Vision care Audio equipment Gadget Automotive lighting Eyewear

Please help me someone.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The bird looks about a month or so old, is he eating regularly? If not pls hand feed. Wait a little longer and if nothing happens I suggest a vet visit. But before we make assumptions what other symptoms does he have? This would help lead to a possible diagnosis. Is he lethargic, sleeping all the time or tail bobbing? Let me know. Also open his mouth and use a light to see of there are any white or yellow lumps in back of the throat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's 6 months old. I took him to the vet they gave him vitamin shot and he was doing fine. But today his droppings are clear water fuild with little green in it again also I noticed he's sleepy today. His feet is warm and head was going down little while sleeping. If I wake him he'll be active and groom.
Bird Beak Grey Toy Feather

Bird Beak Parrot Feather Parakeet
Fluid Water Transparency Natural material Oval

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How long has he been with you? Was he ever exposed to other pigeons?

Did the vet do some tests to make this diagnosis?
6 months with me and no. But my parents recently decided to keep birds in balcony. There's lot of other pegion droppings and come sit outside. I think that's how it got the virus

The vet was good he has phD in birds too and said no test needed. He saw the symptoms and knew it was the pegion virus

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Just give supportive care and minimize stress. Stress can worsen the neurological symptoms. Handfeed if he is unable to eat. Leave seeds in a deep dish (easier to pick up). He will benefit from vitamins esp vit B.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just give supportive care and minimize stress. Stress can worsen the neurological symptoms. Handfeed if he is unable to eat. Leave seeds in a deep dish (easier to pick up). He will benefit from vitamins esp vit B.
Sure I'll do that. The bird food I'm giving is the best it has all the vit. Also just 1 thing I'm worried about. His head keeps bobbing back and forth bcuz of the shaking 🙁 so he can't groom his wing feathers. It looks scary like his head is twisting. Is there any way I can groom his wings?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
It's horrible to watch them like that. Just remember he is not in pain. The neurological symptoms will become worse (mine had horrible seizures by week 6), but he will improve after that. You can use an old toothbrush to groom his feathers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's horrible to watch them like that. Just remember he is not in pain. The neurological symptoms will become worse (mine had horrible seizures by week 6), but he will improve after that. You can use an old toothbrush to groom his feathers.
I see 😭 and yes it is bcuz I often think his neck might break and turn side ways so I keep watch while grooming. Thank you very much 💗

1 - 13 of 13 Posts