Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this, and I am in DESPERATE need of some helpful advice. I found a bird yesterday whom I believe may have PMV, especially after the very informative forums on the subject on your site. Of course the vet wanted to recommend euthanasia, but the alternate is over $400 worth of blood and bacterial testing. We have three fairly aggressive cats at home, so we can't keep him here if he requires weeks/months of special care (we can keep him if it's on a temporary basis, but not if he is not releasable).

I need to get some advice asap on how to proceed with this beautiful pigeon, whom is very healthy except for his PMV signs (we don't even know for sure if it is PMV or not). We are paying a couple hundred dollars to keep him at the vet's tonight and get fluids, vitamins, anti-biotics, and high-density nutrients in his system (he is bright-eyed and not hurt, according to the vet, but she isn't sure if he isn't eating because he's a little shell-shocked or because he has PMV, or worse). Tomorrow we will need to decide what to do next, and WE REALLY NEED HELP!! I am in Las Vegas, and haven't been able to find any avian rescue organizations here who can help. Please feel free to email me at [email protected] with any useful advice, or if you know of anyone who can help. Thank you, Marianne

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi Marianne,

I'd be glad to take him...I deal with these issues all the time.

Larry PM'd you my contact info.

I am downtown, right off I-15 and Charleston.

Best wishes!

Phil
Lv

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!!

Hi Phil--

I just left you an email and voicemail with my contact info, and I cannot thank you and everyone here at Pigeon Talk enough! You guys are just wonderful, and in my hour of need everyone seems to be stepping in to help. I look forward to your call as soon as you have a chance. Thanks!! --Marianne :)

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
A shy and vivid little Blue-Bar...I think maybe a Hen...young adult...

Anyway, Urates suggest early Canker...so, started her on Metronidazole.

She's been quiet, and appears comfortable, watching things from her 3/4 Draped, Heating Pad under-the-Bottom Warm Cage.

Was some Head-on-the-cage-floor postures earlier, but, she's standing Head 'up' presently.

Well fed from her Vet Stay previously, too..!

Good Going Marianne!

Well done!

Phil
Lv

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for the update Phil, sounds like she is better, keep us updated if you can. I hope she responds to the meds.

...and thank you Marianne, for your care and concern over this bird, and a BIG thanks to Larry also, for linking her to our local rescue/rehabber.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
She's just been mostly standing still today, head sort of tilted but 'up'...very shy...only a few short episodes of Head on the floor stuff...

So...I've been gently trying to make friends, so we can do some Seed-Pops and water sipping, without her feeling too stressed with the being handled/held stuff.

Poops are looking better...I'll keep her on the Metronidazole for another four days regardless.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
I'm not sure this sweet little Hen has PPMV.

Overall, standing alright and able to change positions in the Cage, steady all day if a little 'twisted' ot steady-tilty, there's no Star Gazing, no watery urates no loose fecal issues, with only a few short occasions of having her Head low and to the side, touching the Cage Bottom.

She is strong, strong legs and Feet and Wings...strong Neck.

Had her on my lap for a Tube Feed and Meds...and, after those, I presented a little Bowl of Pigeon Mix Seeds, and, as I was 'pecking' with my fingertip, she enthusiastically pecked and ate about twenty larger Seeds with no head or neck isues other than her Head is a little tilted.

So...dunno...

Might be a neurologic issue...might be a disease issue effecting neurology, from Canker or Salmonella...or, might be an inner Ear issue...might be sore-strained Neck muscles or muscle-nerve injury from a collision mishap.

Dunno...

We'll see from here...

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
No unusual postures nor torticollis of any sort or intimation today...

Head slightly tilted to one side, is all...

If slightly stressed by my intrusions, she remains standing normally, or moves away to the Cage rear, and merely slightly tilted Head is all...no twisting or head low stuff...

Head Feathers on top are still 'moosed' a little from prior Head on floor poses and getting poop in the Feathers thereby...so...maybe a Bath sometime soon, once she is less fearful-timid.

So...if PMV, it is not typical anyway, far as what I've seen anyway.

Poops looking better...Urates are a white 'paste' now instead of their prior flat-watercolor-paint saturations.

Her Tube-Feeds contain Cayanne ( and a few other things ) in a KT base...which aids in cicrulatory-inflammation-aedema issues.

If Head injury with mild neurological impairment, or, muscle injury of the Neck was her issue...it seems to be improving on a steady curve.

If neurological Trichomona issue...ditto...

Phil
Lv

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Well...

She's been looking gradually better every day.

Stresses easily, is still 'shy', but, only a very slight Head-tilt persisting, and, at times no Head-tilt to be seen at all.

Oddly, she will no drink Water on her own, but will enthusiastically drink if I softly hold her Beak into the Water.

For the first several days, she would only 'sip', tiny sippings, and no full blown drinking ( Water of course offered just below tepid ).

Couple days ago, she began Drinking Like-a-Horse. So, something was seemingly inhibiting her ability there previously I'd suppose.

So, we just do that now and then, I offer Water, guider her Beak softly, and, she Drinks.

Lots of good 'Picture Perfect' poops...she's been self-feeding Pecking Seeds since day two.

Still good weight, maybe even better weight by now, Lol...and 'solid' as a Rock muscles and overall.

Meds have been Metronidazole...and, Enroflaxyn.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Awe...she is a cutie!

Thanks for updating us on her progress, I hope she will be good as new after her quarinteen is up. :)

Thanks again for caring for her.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Drinking water of her own volition

Good looking pigeon, Phil!

Question: she doesn't drink on her own. I've had some rescues who didn't take the initiative to drink. Perhaps these particular got enough water in their food, and since they were not so physically active, did not need additional water. Or, they did not recognize the water in the dish as water, since it was not their usual water source.

Some of my rescues would take advantage of a water bath set out for them, some stayed away from the waer bath. The pigeons who did use the waer bath usually tated the water, maybe drinking some of it, before enthusiastically splashing themselves with the water. If she were able to take a bath, perhaps she would drink water from the bath on her own.

Just curious about this. Haven't had enough pigeons of my own to be able to write any definitive book (much less than a definitive paragragh) about pigeons. LOL.

Larry

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi Larry,

I see this now and then, where, injured from blunt trauma, or, illness, a Pigeon may refrain from eating and drinking, or, will eat but not drink on their own, or, will drink bot not eat on their own, or, will gladly eat or drink if held on my Lap on a Towel and gently guided, or if having their Beak gently cradled between finger-tips.

She gladly drinks if I softly guider her Beak as I would a youngster who had not yet learned how, or, a youngster who may know how, but who prefers extempore 'dad' or Uncle do it for them, with them.

Being as she has been a little wangley/tilty, and initially, there had been some occasional Peek-a-Boo Head-upside-down things, I have only allowed a Water Bowl with my supervision...so, possibly, in her case, she is simply too shy to drink on her own if I am hovering..!

Lol...but not too shy if I hold her Beak and guide it into the Water...so...

Ohhhh golly, funny stuff...

Lotsa good poops...Wing-Chops at Seed Bowl or 'Lets drink some Water' time...and overall looking pretty good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What a great story! This is just the BEST place. I, too, went on right away when I found a pigeon in need. So many people coming forward to help - it's very encouraging. Continued success for your beautiful bird.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Little sweet vivid maybe-PPMV Hen is doing well...eating well, pooping well...full of sass in her way...

No signs of anything torticollis-wise but for the slight Head tilt poise.

Still does not drink on her own even with Water-Bowl now left in her Cage, but, for all her snarls and dramatic Cage defending-snapping-pecking-huff&puff drama things, soon as I gently touch her Beak to guide it to the Water, she gently bends right down and drinks-like-a-Horse.

An acquaintance of marianne brought me another possible PPMV Pigeon tonight...

Curiously, it is a virtually identical Bird to this one.

Appears same young age, same exact coloring alll over, same size, same weight, same Head 'tilt' poise, same expression.

If not for being in different Cages, there'd be no way to tell them apart.

Who knows? Maybe this one will will like me???

Lol...

Anyway...waiting for poops on Maybe-PPMV Hen No. 2...and, glad she is self feeding alright so far with her Seed Bowl.

Well...another day, and, time for all the little Beaks, and me, to hit-the-hay.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
No hint of any neuological issues for a long long time now...no 'Head Tilt' at all for a long time now...appetite has been good, poops good...everything good...so, today, released her to the indoor Free-Fly Free Rove, setting her on the floor, where, she promptly trotted off to socialize.

I chased her a little bit, gently, to see if she would take off and do any flying, but, she only did one odd 'flutter' to about 6 inches off the floor, was all.

So, we shall see...

Very sweet Hen, very soulful...and VERY VERY fierce when it came to defending HER Cage from my seed-and-water intrusion-times.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi Terry,

Well...as of last look see, she is flying very well indeed in the indoor Free-Fly Free-Rove areas...and, was asserting to other Birds over a high spot she wished to occupy.

I dunno...

Did she have PPMV in the first place? ( only some head tilt, and, apparently was not flying when found...)

Did she have a Head or Neck or Nerve injury?

Hit a Wondow maybe? Windshield?

She had something effecting her Liver, and, was making 'yellow' flat-paint-like Urates in the beginning, and, some various Meds, that cleared up fine and soon...

I do not know what her problems were as far as any clinical diagnosis, other than what I have described superficially.

Only, that with some initial short term meds, time, more or less comfort, and the gentle ambience here, she seems entirely fit and normal now...and, has had no symptoms for most of her time in quarenteen anyway.

I will let her goof around in the Free Fly zone, and, if all seems well after a couple weeks, I will consider to release her.

Heck, by then, she may well have a Mate and a fiercely defended Nest and Eggs on the way for Pete's sake..!

Gotta watch 'em...thats for sure..!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts