Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am taking care of a baby pigeon, 3 days old that got abandoned by mom. I have been feeding him egg yolks that I slightly warmed with a pipette every three hours or so. He is on a heating pad for warmth that I check every hour but up until now I had no way of regulating his temperature. I just purchased a 60W infrared lamp and have a thermostat in the box that I will be regulating to 90 degrees F (according to google). I fed him three times today (6am, 11am, 2pm) and gave him a little water then stopped because I realized his crop was full and he barely pooped at all. He has been squeaking and moving around quite a bit. Still hasn't pooped since like 3pm and I am scared to feed him again (it is now 8pm) because his crop is still full. Please help!! He had a sibling that did not make it but he also had the same issue earlier with a full crop and lack of pooping though the power went out overnight and it is likely that he died due to cold from the heating pad turning off.

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
Get some human baby applesauce. Feed him small amounts throughout the day (warmed up and diluted with a bit of water). Gently massage the crop afterwards. Do it in such a way that no contents will go upward into his beak otherwise he will aspirate. Do this until he starts producing droppings. Don't give any more food until the crop is empty. Just give the applesauce.

Rather get him a handrearing formula for parrots. To this you can add a small amount of the baby applesauce to speed up digestion. Food should be warm and not too thick. You can mix the formula with water, let it stand for a min or two. It will thicken up a bit and then you can add a bit of extra water. At that age he needs to be fed more often than 3 times a day.

There are lots of videos on youtube with info. Just google "how to feed baby pigeon".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.