Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a baby pigeon at work and it has a swollen beak/nose on one side with thick yellow substance on the beak and inside mouth but other than that it seems healthy and energetic, I have ronidazol 10% powder for canker that I have started it on but im not sure what this is to be honest. The yellow substance looks hard but it is cottage cheese texture and the beak seems soft not strong Bird Beak Feather Close-up Water bird

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Looks like pigeon pox. Those growths will become larger over the next few weeks, but will eventually dry up and fall off. Is the yellow inside the beak towards the front? That will be wet pox. You can dab some diluted iodene on the growths outside as well as inside the beak.

Canker and pox can go together. Finish the course of ronidazole and give probiotics during treatment. Then continue with vitamins, calcium (with added vit D3), probiotics and apple cider vinegar in the drinking water. The acv ratio is 5 ml to 1 litre of water. Not all together, you can alternate and give something different each day.

Below is a photo of a pigeon that had pox. Recovery time was 2 months, but he is perfectly fine now.
Head Human body Bird Beak Carnivore

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like pigeon pox. Those growths will become larger over the next few weeks, but will eventually dry up and fall off. Is the yellow inside the beak towards the front? That will be wet pox. You can dab some diluted iodene on the growths outside as well as inside the beak.

Canker and pox can go together. Finish the course of ronidazole and give probiotics during treatment. Then continue with vitamins, calcium (with added vit D3), probiotics and apple cider vinegar in the drinking water. The acv ratio is 5 ml to 1 litre of water. Not all together, you can alternate and give something different each day.

Below is a photo of a pigeon that had pox. Recovery time was 2 months, but he is perfectly fine now. View attachment 101373

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you so much!!!
the yellow is inside the mouth at the back and on the roof of the mouth a lot of it but wet. There is some at the front but it’s dried and I pulled it out with tweezers, its also in one nose hole and completely dried and covered the hole.You can hear it breathing like wheezing and the mouth is slightly open

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Poor thing. Wet pox can be fatal when the growths start affecting their breathing and ability to eat.

Keep us updated on his progress. They can survive with supportive care. Keep on boosting his immunity and handfeed if he is unable to eat by himself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poor thing. Wet pox can be fatal when the growths start affecting their breathing and ability to eat.

Keep us updated on his progress. They can survive with supportive care. Keep on boosting his immunity and handfeed if he is unable to eat by himself.
I will do thank you 😌
is there any specific food that is easier to hand feed him also how long are they contagious for?
And should I not remove the yellow substance with tweezers?

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Removing the growths will start bleeding and be very painfull. Can you get hold of a handrearing formula for baby parrots? You can mix the powder with a little bit of water till it forms a soft clay. Make small pea sized balls and handfeed this to him. Put deep inside the beak over the tongue and let him swallow. Feed about 90 per day, divided into 3 meals of 30 each. But then he needs to drink water. After feeding you can dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) to get him to drink. He will soon start eating the balls by himself and then you can add some small seeds.

Pox is highly contagious until the growths fall off. So keep strict higiene and wash your hands after handling him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts