Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,

I am new to your site, but not to the task of bird husbandry and captive breeding. As a retired wildlife biologist, I worked in the recovery of endangered wild bird species. I am now an artisan who specializes in recreating birds out of wood and I am now working on a project for a military museum, which hopes to replace their taxidermist prepared Carrier Pigeons with accurate wooded copies. I would like to ask those of you who might have head shots depicting perfect beaks and nares of these beauties to post or send me a few close up to help in my detailed task. Front head shots, side, from above and below beak would be greatly appreciated. I will not use your pics for any other purpose, but for assisting me in accurately crafting the heads. My web site is www.birdofwood.com. Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide. JRV

·
Registered
233 Posts
Those are some nice carved artwork of birds. I think you can google rock dove or pigeon and find a lot of pictures online. How much do you charge for the carvings? I may want one carved out of my favorite pigeon in the future. :)

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i love them, i want one, i deserve one, i save the real ones, will have to look around on the store page when the birdies give me a minute

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your work is gorgeous!
Question, do you need rock pigeons or homers? Weren't the carriers homers? Excuse my ignorance if not, heh.
Hi, according to what I have read the Carriers and Homers are all Rock Pigeons, biologically classified under the Columba livia genus and species, only there are subspecies variants classified according to their phenotypes (how they look). The photos over the net are not close detail photos of the parts I need. Some people suggest I go out and shoot one, but that seem a little drastic for just a close look. I have already used the net for wing shape photos and overall body shape. Anyways, thanks to those of you who took the time to respond. I,ll go now and seek other venues of info. Cheers to all:)

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i have 8 ferals of different variations up in my rehab room, but they look different than homers especially in the face, let me know if you want me to take pics of one of them

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
If for a miltary museum. Then the birds must be homing pigeons used during the wars. NOW there are many picture of racing/homing poigeons on the web. Even a few on this site to be looked at And could even copy. now the carrier pigeon Of North America The extinct bird Well it was more like a Dove pigeon in looks Not the old feral pigeon. But agin miltary it must be racing homer .

·
Registered
992 Posts
Hi, according to what I have read the Carriers and Homers are all Rock Pigeons, biologically classified under the Columba livia genus and species
Dogs are all "Canis familiaris", however, you won't say that a poodle looks like a german shepherd. I guess we're in the same case? But I may be wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If for a miltary museum. Then the birds must be homing pigeons used during the wars. NOW there are many picture of racing/homing poigeons on the web. Even a few on this site to be looked at And could even copy. now the carrier pigeon Of North America The extinct bird Well it was more like a Dove pigeon in looks Not the old feral pigeon. But agin miltary it must be racing homer .
Hi Re-Lee, the Passenger Pigeon and the Carrier pigeon are different birds, belonging to different genera, the first belonging to the Ectopistes genus and the second to the Columba genus. JRV

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dogs are all "Canis familiaris", however, you won't say that a poodle looks like a german shepherd. I guess we're in the same case? But I may be wrong.
Hi, Sure the result of selective breeding. Canis lupus familiaris is the nomenclature that groups all breeds of dog. The original ancestor being the Canis lupus or Gray Wolf. Thanks. JRV

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi AltGirl35, I appreciate your offer. I am really looking for the basic Rock dove/Pigeon often seen around our parks, the no frills bird which was available to the military at the time. A good closeup of the head, beak, nares, full open wing. Any single one would help. JRV

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your work is gorgeous!
Question, do you need rock pigeons or homers? Weren't the carriers homers? Excuse my ignorance if not, heh.
Thanks! Homing, Carriers and Rocks are all Columba livia, they just differ due to domestication and breeding for certain characteristics. The basic is the one you see strolling around in Parks. JRV

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to all. I have obtained all the necessary reference material needed to begin my work. Thanks also to Karen for the pic links she sent me. The pictures posted here, by members, are a great source of additional material to review. I really like how you all interact and relate to each other, you are all a nice happy group of folks who really enjoy life and animals in general. JRV

·
Registered
696 Posts
lots of pix!

Hi there-

I've got lots of pictures and would be happy to email some "head shots" that might help. Feel free to look around on my blog at www.RescueReport.org. You can usually find a portrait-type shot for each pigeon on their page (listed down the left side by name) and I know there are a couple for Honey and Bean (ferals) and Zoe & Frankie (homers) and lots of kings (June Bug, Frances, Art, Rocky) etc. etc.

:)

P.S. Juvenile pigeon faces are different from adults and can be recognized by beaks that look too big for their face (I call them Jimmy Durante beaks). You can see 'baby pictures' on Bo's page (for example).

P.S.2 My e-mail address is [email protected]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts