Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(Resolved!) HELP: San Francisco Bay Area

Hello there. I've got a pigeon in my bathtub that is WAY out of my ability to diagnose/care for.

I don't think it's very old, and I can't find any open injuries (no cuts/scratches). Both of its wings appear to be working fine. However, it's got no tailfeathers and a bald spot on its hind, and two of the toes on its right foot appear to be fused together, and it's got a serious limp.

Right now it's eating (and I think it was pretty close to starving when I picked it up), and it's got a bit of water and a warm towel. But I'll be honest, I think this little one's a goner if I don't get some help. Does anyone know of ANYONE in the Bay Area that can help? I'm in the Outer outer sunset, and don't have access to a car, so near public transit would also be a help.

Thank you,

Ariana

(Editing the thread title so folks know it's no longer a red alert.)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Help is on the way...hold on.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Ariana... call me . I am also in Sunset, on the N Judah line, but I don't have my car today.

You can bring him over in a box.

Thanks for helping !

·
Registered
219 Posts
Does it squeak? I'm guessing it fell out of it's nest when trying to fly. But I'm not a expert. Someone will be on this thread and tell you what you can do. Probably some more description of it will help us more on deciding whats what. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:

The little one and I took a bus ride inland to Jaye's perfectly cozy home, where Jaye got the little one his first round of antibiotics, and introduced me to his beautiful little fledglings, the other injured house guest, and some very charming little parrots. I feel about a million times better knowing the pigeon is in kind and capable hands.

Charis, thank you so much for getting in touch with Jaye asap, and Jaye, thank you so much for taking care of the little guy!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Once again, networking at it's finest!! ;)

Many thanks to amosborne for rescuing this little one, Charis for getting in touch with Jaye and Jaye for taking over caring for him. :)

You guys rock . . . :D

Cindy

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Update:

The little one and I took a bus ride inland to Jaye's perfectly cozy home, where Jaye got the little one his first round of antibiotics, and introduced me to his beautiful little fledglings, the other injured house guest, and some very charming little parrots. I feel about a million times better knowing the pigeon is in kind and capable hands.

Charis, thank you so much for getting in touch with Jaye asap, and Jaye, thank you so much for taking care of the little guy!
That's great news. I'm happy it all worked out.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Yes, thanks Charis for the phone call...and thanks Ariana for saving the lil' pigeon. Nice to meet you and good to know another columbid friend to the west of me ;)

So, he's an interesting one. Indeed there are no scars, scabs, lesions, etc. although he clearly got away from something because he dropped ALL tailfeathers and it looks like a couple of secondary wing feathers also got pulled.

Now the puzzling part is his right foot, because indeed, he cannot stand on it well. He can scuttle around on it, he can use it, he can stand on both feet, but not normally for sure. Two of the three toes pointing forward are fused together...I thought at first it might be a hair entwined thing...but no...literally the 2 toes are attached to each other.

Also, he holds one of his wings strangely...yet when both Ariana and I checked the wing for injury, it seemed to be OK and manipulating it caused him no pain. We were then hypothesizing that perhaps, due to the imbalance because of the leg/foot, he may be compensating by holding the wing funny to stay erect.

This would be easier to ascertain IF he had his tailfeathers, because then I could really see which wing is 'off' and which is being held normally. But without those tailfeathers, the point of reference is gone.

Also, I didn't wanna handle him too much...he's had a rough day and he is clearly tired. So some medacam and cipro, a warm and soft place to sleep, and a view of the lightwell ferals outside and this guy is now going nite-nite.

He is pretty recently fledged, maybe a couple of weeks or so fledged I'd guess. He is underweight but not grossly so...although he ate seed which Ariana gave him, I think I am gonna go with a handfeeding regimen starting tom'w to get his weight back up...maybe get some Pedialyte into him as well.

He's an interesting one...I am wondering if his leg is a birth defect and therefore also wondering if his wing is also, and whether he even has full flight abilities..... This may be a special-needs guy...or he may just be a young feral with a bum leg who was having a hard time cutting it in the urban wild.

Will keep everyone posted, pics coming, too.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Good save, Ariana, Charis and Jaye!

As to the fused toes, sounds like a birth defect. I had a roller born that way once. The middle and outer toes were fused with a web between them. My vet removed the webs with laser surgery when he was a couple months old and afterwards his feet looked and functioned normally.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Ya know...Sasha caught a pigeon with webbed feet in her yard. She thought it had string injury and was very surprised to find out otherwise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice to meet you and good to know another columbid friend to the west of me ;)
They don't GET further west than me in the contiguous 48. It was great to meet you, too.

He's an interesting one...I am wondering if his leg is a birth defect and therefore also wondering if his wing is also, and whether he even has full flight abilities..... This may be a special-needs guy...or he may just be a young feral with a bum leg who was having a hard time cutting it in the urban wild.
I'll tell you, he's a calm one, too. We had a two-block walk from the parking lot where I found him to my place -- and he was as cool as a cucumber with nothing but one hand as a makeshift hood. And, you know, my first concern was that he was just pretty far gone -- but you've seen him: He's got clear eyes, and he's skinny but not weak or emaciated. If he is special-needs, I think he knows which of the Big Featherless Animals want to help...!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
OK, so here's the latest.

He slept thru the night and he actually woke ME up this morning because I heard squeaking coming from the bathroom...so happened one of my lightwell ferals was hanging out on the windowsill just outside and this kid obviously spotted him.

So, that's good news because 2 of my last 3 charges didn't even survive into the second day :(

I started handfeeding him some Kaytee...I did the tip-of-beak method which, albeit slower, gave him a chance to acclimate. He did pretty well...only got 2 cc into him but I am gonna go back and give him more shortly. He then happily preened himself for a bit and is now napping.

He is still weak...he is significantly underweight and cannot sustain much energy for a long time. He is on cipro and medacam. No sign of canker.

The foot is definitely a defect. Besides the fused toes, the toe which should be pointing to the rear is actually pointing about 90 degrees from forward....so he basically has 3-1/2 toes pointing forward, none pointing backward. He seems to have full ability in his leg joints, though.

The wing is a concern to me, however. I dunno if it's also a defect, of if perhaps it was yanked out of joint during the attack (wing pinned to ground and he pulls away or something).
No external injury but there is sort of a nodule right near the ulnare/radiale. It doesn't seem like it hurts him, and again it seems to have range of movement.
But the wing seems not to come as forward as the opposite one. He holds the wing not droopy at all...but rather"back" from the front of his body (imagine you are sitting down with torso erect and you move one of your shoulders back...that's what it looks like).

For sure an x-ray would answer this...but that's a $300 vet bill and I am tapped out from treating my other saved feral, with bills that ran into $1000. BTW, he is likely gonna be released in a few days...YAY (for him)! :

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f6/we-have-a-situation-here-38041-2.html

So for the time being, I am just gonna medicate this lil' guy and get his weight and strength back up...see where it goes from there.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Jaye...how old do you think this baby might be? It would be good it you can get 15ccs of formula into him increasing the amount to 20ccs at the next feeding.
You may also try the corn and peas popping method to see if he will start eating on his own.
Just because there is no obvious sign of canker, doesn't mean he doesn't have it.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
He looks newly fledged, maybe 8 weeks old or so. yes, I had the same thought as you and started him on Metronidazole this AM.

The veggie popping and formula feeding has been difficult...yesterday I managed to get about 4cc of formula and a dozen pieces of veggie and parrot pellet into him. He has also been drinking water like a fiend.

Now, I left a bunch of seed in his cage before bedtime last night, and this AM a substantial amt. was gone ! So, this morning the handfeeding went just about as slowly....I got the meds and 1cc of formula in him, and then he rebelled again :0....so I stopped.... and just put him on the counter so he could hobble around and forage. He ate a good 30+ seeds plus at least 10 small scraps of soft bread, and drank more water.

His strength is up and his appetite is there.. And he's now on the 3 meds.

So...I figure he is gonna make it. The question becomes whether he can fly or not. He can flap fullly, it seems, and he can alight from counter-height to the floor...But I dunno if he can actually fly. No way to really tell until he gets stronger. Also, no sign of new tailfeathers coming in yet. He really hobbles on his feet too, cannot cover any significant distance by walking.

Here's some pics, note the right toes and also the way he is holding his wing (the wing shoulder starts at the dark feathers, so he is holding it back from the front of his body):

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
What an absolute CUTIE!!

Are you going to keep him(?), Jaye? Doesn't look like he would be a good bet to be released!!

Sure looking forward to positive updates!! Keep up the great work!!

My gang and I are sending TONS of

LOVE, HUGS and SCRITCHES

Shi/Mr. Squeaks/Dom/Gimie/WoeBeGone :)

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
He is so cute, and you are an angel to the SF pigeons George. If he is unreleasable we can probably work something out in a bit. Loft's almost done. :D:D:D Good luck with him and keep up the GREAT work.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thank you Ariana for taking your time and rescue this beautiful pigeon, also thank you to Charis for contact our George, I'm in agree with MJ George is our angel SF pigeon ;) a wonderful person. Let me know if I can help in something.

Ivette

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Thanks for the good vibes, Squeaks and Ivor...

He is so cute, and you are an angel to the SF pigeons George. If he is unreleasable we can probably work something out in a bit. Loft's almost done. :D:D:D Good luck with him and keep up the GREAT work.
The more I look at him the less I think he is releasable. It just depends whether he has full flight ability. I cannot determine that now, because a) he has zero tailfeathers and b) he is still gaining his strength and health back (I don't wanna stress him by "test flying" him indoors).

But my guess is no, he won't have 100% ability. The other thing is, as Ariana pointed out when she dropped him off here..he has no fear of humans at all. Now that may be because he is just so exhausted, and it may start showing as he gains his bearings and strength back. So thanks for the offer, MJ...and if you need me to come up there and help pound some nails or hang some wire, etc; I would certainly be happy to offer my services :eek:

We did a massive de-lousing this AM...eeew...have never seen so bad a case.

He obviously was out in the feral world foraging for a bit...because he recognizes and loves scraps of bread and other people food...but he doesn't quite get the seed thang yet (he picks up safflower seeds and flings 'em when he realizes they aren't soft...but he eats wheatberry seeds).

So last night he dined mostly on prawns and sourdough baguette....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts