Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I have experience in animal rescue and care, but only some of that with birds. I have basic information like keeping them in a dark warm place and identifying injuries and such, but not much more.

we are in the middle of a snow storm and a pigeon flew into our window. I have him safe in a bin and he has been sleeping on and off. I called three different wildlife places in the area and either they won鈥檛 take pigeons or they are full! 馃ゲ

I can鈥檛 bring myself to leave him out in the snow! Any help or advice on temperatures, safety, and food would be very helpful!!

Registered
Do you have a heatpad or hotwaterbottle? Cover this with a soft blanket and him on top for some warmth. Just do it in such a way that he can move away if too warm.

You can put down wildbird seed and water for him. What do the droppings look like? If he had food recently and is healthy, then it should be round, brown colour with a white dot on top. If bright green, then he is producing starvation droppings or his food is not digesting. He won't be able to eat in semi-darkness, provide him with some light.

He looks quite alert, maybe he was just trying to seek shelter.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a heatpad or hotwaterbottle? Cover this with a soft blanket and him on top for some warmth. Just do it in such a way that he can move away if too warm.

You can put down wildbird seed and water for him. What do the droppings look like? If he had food recently and is healthy, then it should be round, brown colour with a white dot on top. If bright green, then he is producing starvation droppings or his food is not digesting. He won't be able to eat in semi-darkness, provide him with some light.

He looks quite alert, maybe he was just trying to seek shelter.
Thank you so much! He has pooped a couple times, it鈥檚 yellow/white with some brown clumps in the middle. I did get him to drink a little! And will provide him with feed as soon as I can!
I will add a warm water bottle as well- if he is looking for shelter when is it safe to leave him outside??

Registered
Wait till the weather improves and make sure he is eating well. Does he seem tame? Might be a lost pet.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Wait till the weather improves and make sure he is eating well. Does he seem tame? Might be a lost pet.
He made it through the night, and he is eating and drinking ! I was able to get a bird cage to move him to. I don鈥檛 see any injuries but he won鈥檛 fly away! His poop does seem a little green though now !

Registered
His droppings will probably change colour the more food he starts eating. You can add some apple cider vinegar to his drinking water, 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. This helps with digestion and to keep the good gut bacteria in place. One should give this to pigeons twice a week. Does he seem tame? Sounds as if you have a new pet. Can you post a photo of the droppings?

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
His droppings will probably change colour the more food he starts eating. You can add some apple cider vinegar to his drinking water, 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. This helps with digestion and to keep the good gut bacteria in place. One should give this to pigeons twice a week. Does he seem tame? Sounds as if you have a new pet. Can you post a photo of the droppings?
I am really hoping to give him some days to feel better and eat and release him! Though he is very sweet! Here is a photo and a picture of him(?) if you know how to tell it it鈥檚 a boy or girl i would love to know!

Registered
Discussion Starter #9

Registered
The females lay eggs 馃 that's the only way to be sure. Just a tip. The wire of the cage will probably hurt his feet. Rather put a couple of layers of newspaper down and only remove the top layer when you clean. You can also put a brick inside for him to perch on. A mirror will keep him company. A male will often attack his own mirror image (an intruder), but the female won't.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts