Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be new to this forum,but not at all new to pigeons. And I knw quite number of ways to sex pigeons especially when they are adults, such like their size, cooing, mode of drinking, cock on top during sxx;), n a lot more. But recently i was shock to discover that I still have along way to go in pigeons sexing.
I just bought one particular pigeons mainly cos of his/her head hair style. I bought the pigeon as He. We named him chico cos of his hair. He's an adult. But uptil now we are not able to know his sex, It's almost a month now. He doesn't coo, He defy all the xters of a male pigeon that I know.
I tried joining him with a female no success they just fight. I tried him with a male pigeon almost similar story, even bully the male pigeon. He's now all alone by him self, only to come out eat n go back to his spot.
So I am wondering if there's anyone out there that can help me with some more information on sexing a pigeon. Anyway I can find out if Chico is He or She.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
He is new at ur place that's why he is acting like this. Give him some time.

In such cases when pigeons are kept alone then they realise the their loneliness and crave for a mate,unless he may continue fighting with that bird which is put with him.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
First of all the new bird should be kept separate from your other birds for a month, just to make sure it's healthy and won't bring any sickness to your other birds. This give you more time to monitor him and watch if he is eating, drinking enough, has parasites, check his droppings etc.

When you introduce them put them in a separate cages for about a week to let them get used to each other. If they both show signs of wanting to be together, then you can let them out together and see what happens. Just putting another bird in with him, one could hurt the other. Better to go slow and give them time.

Try putting a large mirror in a cage with him, and see how he reacts to it.A male will usually bow and coo, or want to fight with the other bird. A female usually won't.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ Jay3. Thank u very much for ur reply. Eventhough d guy I bought Chico take good care of his birds even morethan I do. I still did separated Chico for about a week, I gave him Combatrim and Vitalyte Extra. I will try d mirrow trick to see if it works. Thank u

·
Registered
745 Posts
he is new to your loft plus he may be already mated and by selling him to you it was been separated from his mate he is kinda faithful to her/him and won't mate with any other pigeons till he/she realize that he/se is alone!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank u all. The mirrow trick didn't work. But there's a little progress as he/she coos a little now tht he/she have a spot in d loft, but that still can't be taken for granted as the coo is short n turns a little.

·
Registered
745 Posts
If I were you I would Add more pigeons to the loft and See how they react to each other, It's very Important to know that Hens can Also coo and turn but shortly. In most silent and quiet pigeons are females ...

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
@ Jay3. Thank u very much for ur reply. Eventhough d guy I bought Chico take good care of his birds even morethan I do. I still did separated Chico for about a week, I gave him Combatrim and Vitalyte Extra. I will try d mirrow trick to see if it works. Thank u

Some day, you may be sorry that you did not segragate for a month. Regardless of where they came from.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Giving that bird some time's gonna help. Better if u isolate him/her. That way u can moniter its eating, drinking and droppings etc. That bird could be sick. For it to act neutral for a month can have a reason to worry about!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts