Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Very important to seek out an avian vet and find out exactly what this is, to assure proper treatment, amount of antibiotic and length of time, as guessing dosage and drug can cause ineffective treatment which can cause drug resistance as well as prolonging what is going on. This is something you do not want to mess around with. Make sure to isolate her as she is contagious. She should not be breeding until she is healed.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I agree with Skyeking. But even in finding out what it is, sometimes you will then need a culture to find out what is the best thing to treat with, as it could be sensitive to one drug and not to another. So seeing a vet would be your best bet.
I had a rescue that when the vet heard the bird, was pretty sure that it was mycoplasma, but without the culture could not be sure of what drug it was sensitive to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
vet

thanks for all the help & info that is coming in but I am about 300 miles from the close vet and me being disabled makes it harder to fine was to get some where some times it if not a good thing to live some where there is nothing I have to go 100 miles for a good dog vet if you have a cow you are in good shape. thanks kevin

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
If you have had pigeons for some time, And you live so far from a DR, That you can't get to anyway because you are disabled, I would think the wise thing to do is order multiple medications from a pigeons supply site online. I would treat the bird for respitory illness and then treat for airsac mites. google pigeon supply and happy shopping.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Doxycycline is all that i have ever need used it on her for a week did not help any .

If you have had pigeons for some time, And you live so far from a DR, That you can't get to anyway because you are disabled, I would think the wise thing to do is order multiple medications from a pigeons supply site online. I would treat the bird for respitory illness and then treat for airsac mites. google pigeon supply and happy shopping."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts