Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Any other symptoms?

Get the baby inside and put it on some heat, make sure to set the heating pad on low, and wrap a towel around the pad first, before setting the baby on it.

Have you looked inside the beak, and do you see any lesions other then pink? Did the parents stop feeding it? Check around the windpipe and see if there is any seed logged close to it, and blocking the windpipe/air hole?

This could be a number of things, its best to get the baby to a good avian vet for an accurate diagnosis and prompt treatment.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I took in a starving feral pigeon in the fall of 2006 who moved his head and throat from right to left, as if he were trying to shift something in his crop.

He died a day or two later. I did a postmortem, and removed what seemed to be a a couple of pieces of French-fried potato. Each piece was an inch or so long, triangular, and hard, like over-fried potato. Pointed end was near the esophagus or opening to the proventriculum. I still have photos.

(Pigeon Carter, Oct. 31, 2006: WARNING: graphic photos.
http://picasaweb.google.com/henson....PostmortemExam?authkey=Gv1sRgCO-nxK62x7yclAE#

The trachea or windpipe is at the base of the tongue (on the top side of the tongue). It shouldn't be too hard to see if the opening is clear. The last four photos in the link provided above are of the windpipe. It is one-half centimeter in diameter, or about one-fifth of an inch. The windpipe has been photographed against the fish-scaling and centimeter/inch measuring tool of a Victorinox Swiss Army Champion knife. The first photos show the windpipe or trachea, resting on the left side of the sheath enclosing the pigeon's neck vertebrae.

I do not know if this had anything to do with his death.

Your pigeon may have have an object causing blockage or physical discomfort. Or it may be a symptom of disease. This is speculation on my part.

Larry

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Do you know what was wrong with it? Maybe the parents need to be treated with something?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
AGSG, you have a really bad habit of coming here, asking for advice and then disappearing for a few days, never to reply again.
No one here wants to do anything but help you, but obviously we can't do that without your cooperation.
I too am concerned about WHY the baby died. Pigeons don't just die at 12 days old for no reason.
Please try to be a little more specific in your posts so that someone can give you some good, sound advice.
I've gone back and looked and can't find anywhere where you've told us about where you keep your birds, how many you have...........
It really sounds like to me that your birds may not be as healthy as they should be. I read in another post that one of your squabs died.
Give us some information on the birds you have now. Pictures would be helpful too. I know you can post pictures. ;)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Forget it don't fell like i am welcome here
Don't feel as though you are not welcome. It's just that before you even think about this pair having more babies, you first would need to figure out why their baby has died. If you don't do that, then how do you know that the same thing wouldn't happen again? And if the parents do have something that is causing the babies to die, then that has to be resolved before breeding them again. But we can't help if we don't have more information. I'm sure everyone here would be glad to try and help you, but you need to help us to do that. Please don't just go away. You won't solve anything that way. Can you give us a bit more information about the parent birds?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If you really care about your birds, you'll come back and help us to help you. If you don't, then guess there's nothing more we can do. Good luck with your birds, but I would have them checked to find out why the baby died for no apparent reason. Otherwise, you may very well lose more, without ever knowing why. Just doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
AGSG..........I know that you checked in yesterday late, so I'm hoping that you're still watching the board, even if you aren't posting...
I feel like maybe you got upset about what I said?
I was only trying to get you to give us some info so we can help YOU and THE BIRDS.......that's ALL..........if you weren't welcome here, none of us would be trying to help, but we can only do so much over the internet and the more info we have, the better able we are to try to give you some good advice.
Now, if you read this..............and you really care about your birds and want to help them, you'll come right back here and get some help and advice.
If you're mad at me for some reason, just say so and I'll butt out and let the other members help you. I only want your babies to live and YOU to enjoy your birds..........;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.