Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I hope someone can help fast.

I've got a baby feral pigeon on my balcony. I've been supplementing her feeding. Now all of a sudden her crop has swollen up and there is a weezing noise. I fear it is somehow filling with air. Is there anything I can do to help her.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Open her beak and see if there's anything that looks like little buttons of cheese. Also, spread her feathers over what you're thinking is the swelling and note whether it looks like food or more like cheese.

Pidgey

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been supplementing the feeding of one of the baby feral pigeons on my balcony. She had a growth problem (like one sibling from each previous batch). The extra feeding seems to have helped a lot. She is now 19 days old but about the size of a 14 day old.

Today at lunch after I started feeding her I noticed her crop swell up. It was filling with air somehow. Every now and again there is a gurgled air escaping through water noise. I am quite concerned as her crop is huge, but she doesn't seem at all worried and is just crying for more food.

Is there anything I can do. Her crop almost looks like I could prick it with a pin and let the air out. Not that I'm going to, that's just what it looks like.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
It's not the crop--it's an embolism. That is, there is an air leak from the pneumatic system that's leaking out under the skin. You might call it an "air sac rupture" or something like that. Can you post a picture?

Pidgey

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is very difficult to open her mouth. Luckily she doesn't seem to be suffocating so she'll last awhile yet. Her Dad just came by and filled her even more with seeds. It's quietened her down. I can see now that her mouth is packed with seeds, but that wasn't the earlier problem. Is there anyway her crop can fill with air? Is food perhaps fermenting in there or is she somehow exhaling into her crop.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Could be also sour crop. I've seen this happen and it is very hard to treat, my vet wasn't able to save most of the babies with sour crop.
If that is what it is do not feed the baby. Not even water. You will have to start antibiotics and an antifungal. The problem is in sour crop the antibiotics aren't going anywhere because of the crop stasis, so best would be an injectable. This baby needs veterinary attention unless you have injectable antibiotics.
And of course bring the baby in put him on a heating pad covered with a towel and start antibiotics if you have. As much as he begs for food do not feed him.

Reti

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
sounds to me like she has a ruptured air sac as long as she is not having trouble breathing i would wait to see if it goes down on it own in a few days, if it doesn't it may need to be drained

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Remove the seeds from her mouth and as I mentioned bring her in. You can give a little water with a tiny bit of baking soda.

Reti

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Sometimes, in hand feeding, with a syringe, the bird will take in air, and the crop will fill up with the air. This could be what is happening. If you try to push iit up and out, you could aspirate him/her if the food comes back up. It will usually work its way out by itself. How are you feeding the bird?

He said that it was appearing to be full of air after he fed it. That's why it sounds like it took in air. Posting a picture would be the most help. Kinda hard to guess at what it is without seeing it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm trying to get a good picture but you really can't see anything as she won't keep still. It does sound like an air leak. What can I do? Basically the whole crop area is swollen, but there is definitely nothing in it

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I'm trying to get a good picture but you really can't see anything as she won't keep still. It does sound like an air leak. What can I do? Basically the whole crop area is swollen, but there is definitely nothing in it

Have you read the posts? Bring him in, keep him warm and do not feed.

Reti

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi

Thanks for all the feed back. I've been feeding her through a syringe as Jay mentioned. Yes, that is exactly what may have happened. I've cut the end off a syringe and she sticks her beak into it and I slowly start pushing the food in. The syringe got a little sticky today so I might of pushed it in in jerks which has caused this.

She is still begging for food and has just run across the computer for attention. She is definitely still alert and vibrant.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I've just seen all the posts. It is nice and warm here. I've got her in my bedroom and she is still crying away. Poor Mom has just braved it all the way in her to come and have a look. Remember these are wild birds, so I don't want to interfere too much.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Kinda' hard to tell... but the lack of feathering under the chin (that's esophagus area--not the crop, which is technically further down) could indicate inflammation in that area (feathers have a tendency to either not grow or even drop out over inflammation). I'd be worried about canker and other possibilities. So far, we don't have the required information to make any definite diagnosis but the worst case scenario at this point based on that picture would be canker. Do you have access to anything like Metronidazole (Flagyl), Dimetridazole (Emtryl), Ronidazole (can't remember a trade name--old age), Carnidazole (Spartrix), or something like one of those?

Pidgey

1 - 20 of 46 Posts