Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a 9-10 year old pigeon near our building. I have put it inside a box with some insulation and a hot water bottle, but I do not know what to feed it. Please help.I do not have access to any pet food or pet storeso it would be helpful if you could suggest alternatives.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
You must mean 9-10 DAY old pigeon? Can you post a picture of the bird so we can more closely determine its age?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm so sorry! Yeah, a 9-10 day old squab. It has managed to stay the night in the box that I told you about, but when I took it out it it was lunging or trying to peck at my fingers. Its crop feels empty right now and it needs to food, fast. I did feed it some warm boiled peas and it ate them easy enough. I think its a little older than told earlier. Its feathers are about 1 inch long but they are bare.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Peas are good. Warm, not hot. Make sure you give him about 30 peas every time the crop empties. Probably be about 3 times a day. Just make sure the crop empties between feedings. Gently dip his beak into some tepid water, but not over the nostrils. Eventually he will learn to drink.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Hit the go advanced button down next to the quick reply button
Then on the tool bar hit the paper clip and you can upload a pic from your puter

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The pics are too big but I think he is doing well. His feathers are starting to get little tufts on the ends. The only thing is that he keeps squeaking and squeaking I don't know what the problem is. He is fully fed but not drinking water yet. How should his poop look like?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also I have noticed that I can see the peas through the skin from underneath. His crop has not emptied since I fed him 2-4 hrs ago.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
They always act like they are starving even when they couldn't be any fuller
The way of the squeakers
Don't feed till crop empties

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I usually tube birds, will let someone else advise on how to get water into them with the pea popping method
You can try to dip his beak (not nostrils) in a water bowl to teach him to drink
Flapping is normal, it's part of the hungry dance
Not sure what u mean by vibrating throat

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, its like he's stretching the skin of his throat away from his body then taking it near again. He does it really fast and his throat looks like its vibrating. Its a little like a dog panting.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
If he is opening his throat and panting I would open his beak and look down it to see if something is stuck or if he has a cheese like growth there may be canker. I have never seen a pigeon pant like a dog before.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Normally an adult bird will pant like that if it has been flying hard and is stressed, needing water, or too hot. Obviously, being a youngster it hasnt been flying so that leaves stress, water or too hot.
You said you had a hot water bottle, is the bird able to get OFF the heat if it needs, also, is the bottle covered with a towel ?
maybe its a combination of all three, if its too hot & all the squeaking (which all young birds do most of the time) it is stressing as it is looking to you as its parent. Try dipping its beak in water as suggested (may have to do it several times).
Definately sounds to me like its hot and needs water.
Whatever you do, Do NOT try to force water down its throat or it may aspirate & die.
If it wont drink on its own you can dribble a few drops along the edge of its beak.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info. I have replaced the bottle with a heating pad tthat I put on top of the box. I think the heating pad was too hot so I have taken it off for the time being. How much water does it need in a day? Also please tell me when and how to wean it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't take a pic because its not letting me keep its beak open and if I open it my fingers come in the middle. I'll keep trying but I gotta go to school now so I'll post after 6-7 hrs.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts