Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had a pigeon couple nesting on our windowsill for a while now. The first egg hatched 10 days ago and the second one 9 days ago. Today as I was washing my dishes (the kitchen window is where the nest is) I noticed that the older one was gasping for air and couldn't hold it's head up.
I attempted to aid the bird but it died within 5 or 10 mins in my hand. The 9 day old seems to be doing ok. The parents, however, seem to be very lax and not really coming by so often (twice in about 11-12 hours and then it only seemed to be interested in the dead sibling). The dead baby has not been removed by the parents and the live baby trys to warm by it.
I am planning to remove and bury the dead bird but how can I help the surviving one. I am currently in Israel and have no way of getting to the wildlife hospital so I feel that I must do my best on my own. Please help with advice. A birds life may be a stake.

Thank you for any assistance!!

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
It's hard to know why the other one died. So don't know if the remaining one needs helping with meds or not. You are kind to try to help though. If the other one was sick, then this one is at risk also. If it was not enough feed or water from not being fed, then you can help by giving supplemental feedings. Not a great idea to try to give water to him in his beak as they can be easily aspirated. If you can get some frozen peas, you can defrost and warm them under warm running water, and feed these to him. They also contain quite a bit of moisture which is helpful for him. If the parents are still coming to feed at all, then you can feed and then return him to the nest. Is it a safe place, your windowsill? Is it warm enough there for him, or in too hot sun where he may over heat? Is it out in the open where hawks could grab him? These things do make a difference. He is better off raised by parents if possible, as they will take him around and teach him what he needs to know to survive. But if very unsafe place for a baby pigeon, then maybe bringing him in is the only option.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts